PEAX Equipment

VA. Elk and RMEF and others

Just spent the batter part of 3 days and 2 nights at Cataloochee camp ground in North Carolina. I had a awsome time in the campground and going to the 1st Elk Fest in nearby Maggie Valley. If you want to camp at Cataloochee and I highly recommend it, be sure to get a reservation ahead of time. There is little to no Cell service back there.

Here are some pics I took of the elk:

Cataloochee19Herd3.jpgCataloochee19otherold bull1.jpg

Attachments

• CataloocheeBB4.jpg
    CataloocheeBB4.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Cataloochee19herd1.jpg
    Cataloochee19herd1.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 2
I think the elk came from Kentucky and Virginia wasn’t too thrilled with it. They got em now, though.
The elk did in fact come from Kentucky. The elk in the relocation area were put there by vdgif. Elk had been migrating in naturally but had not established themselves yet. Being legal to shoot them on a deer tag didn't help. You can still do that but not in the three county introduction area.

That is great! Enjoyed the pics Roughwater. Amazing work by RMEF and all others involved!

That is great! Enjoyed the pics Roughwater. Amazing work by RMEF and all others involved!

Thanks Sytes,

There seems to be at least 4 bulls that show up there not counting the Spike. But many Cows. I love what the RMEF is doing there and elsewhere. It really benifits everyone, even the non-hunters as well as other wildlife. There is a ton of Turkeys back there too. I saw a local TV news van come out of there too yesterday too.
I was talking with the camp hostess several times and she has hosted their several years. It's strictly a volunteer position but she does get to stay their free. She was telling me about a 20 year old Cow and how they have been suprised to see her having survived the previous winter/winters. I belive the last pic I posted below is of her. Hats off to the old gal. One thing if you watch the elk long at all is that the herd bull isn't necessairly the leader. The old bull makes a lot of noise but at the end of the day's feeding the old bull follows the cows out of the pasture.

Attachments

• Cataloochee19OtherBE1.jpg
    Cataloochee19OtherBE1.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Cataloochee19turky1.jpg
    Cataloochee19turky1.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Cataloochee10oldcow1.jpg
    Cataloochee10oldcow1.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 2
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics