Caribou Gear

Utah vs MT & WY (Pronghorn, Mule Deer, and Elk)

BB33

Hey All, Well it's time to move again and this time Utah is the end point. Since I've lived/hunted in WY and MT before, can anyone tell me how Utah hunting compares; especially pertaining to Pronghorn, Mule Deer, and Elk? Thanks for any and all info!

As a lifelong Utahn, let me offer my condolences. Start building points and hunt as a NR in Wyoming or Idaho.

I haven't held a deer, elk, or pronghorn tag in Utah since 2000. Maybe I'll draw someday though.

Not much here for Antelope.

Mule deer is either archery, ML, or rifle. Only get one buck and it is all drawing. Plus tons of LE stuff, the state love their deer here...

Elk is over the counter rifle (12 ish day long season), OTC archery state wide tag, but some stipulations. Plus all the LE stuff, I finally put my app in this year and don't like my odds for archery elk.

Archery starts 3rd Saturday of August and run till 3rd sunday in September, then the next day starts extended season for only a couple areas.

Rifle deer and elk are only a few days long and usually it is last week of October for deer, first week of October for elk.

Ive hunted/lived here since 2010 and still don't have a grasp on everything. The guide books aren't horrible but they also leave a lot out that makes you work for it.

Hey All, Well it's time to move again and this time Utah is the end point. Since I've lived/hunted in WY and MT before, can anyone tell me how Utah hunting compares; especially pertaining to Pronghorn, Mule Deer, and Elk? Thanks for any and all info!

Utah is a waiting game usually for any decent tags. Even the ok general deer hunts take 2-3 points. I won't be anywhere near what you are used to in WY and MT.

I'll echo what the others have said.

If you are an archery hunter, you'll have a bit more flexibility with general tags, but not a lot. What it boils down to IMO/E is general deer is mediocre and now those can take a few years to draw depending on which unit you want. Choosing a bow or ML will allow you to hunt more often. General elk, for most of the state is spike only. LE units, even the not so famous ones take a long time to draw. All pronghorn tags are by a drawing and take multiple years to draw.

What part of the state will you be landing in? I lived there for 9 years and held more NR tags than I did R tags. I was in the mess around SLC, so both ID and WY were close enough and offered more opportunity.

I moved to UT two years ago after living in MT for over 30. I thought my hunting life had ended. It hadn't. But it is definitely different. Feel free to pm me and I can share what I have learned. For perspective, I have continued to hunt MT as well and will be going to WY at least every other year.

Montana and Wyoming are target rich environments, Utah not so much and you will have plenty of company.

If you are an archery hunter, you'll have a bit more flexibility with general tags, but not a lot.
What part of the state will you be landing in? I lived there for 9 years and held more NR tags than I did R tags. I was in the mess around SLC, so both ID and WY were close enough and offered more opportunity.

Hi 1_pointer, I'll be an hour north of SLC. Bow and ML are perfectly fine with me, I just love getting out there. My true passion right now is getting my wife her first buck/bull. On two occasions she has dropped an antelope and mule deer doe on one shot, which made me more proud then any antler I've ever held, but it seems her best chance now is to collect points in WY. Thank you (and everyone) for the input. As you all know...Hunting requires more homework than college!

If you are an hour north of SLC, you are darn close to ID. Look into some of the general hunts in the SW-SC part of that state. Just don't be surprised by the number of UT license plates you will see... ;)

Though it's all spike only for general tags, there are quite a bit of elk between Ogden and Bear Lake, but the pressure is high. For deer, I'd look to the far NW corner of the state. General rifle is pretty busy, but ML is much less. Good lucki!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back