Utah Trail Cam Restrictions

I’m okay with the trail camera ban but it does make me a little worried when they say they are going to look at emerging technologies. That just feels like a very slippery slope to go down where personal opinion is the only thing to base one’s decision.

I’m okay with the trail camera ban but it does make me a little worried when they say they are going to look at emerging technologies. That just feels like a very slippery slope to go down where personal opinion is the only thing to base one’s decision.
I think looking into emerging technologies is just being responsible. What would tag numbers and season length look like if we just decided to allow people to do whatever they want and thus success rates approach 100%? At some point something has to give

I think looking into emerging technologies is just being responsible. What would tag numbers and season length look like if we just decided to allow people to do whatever they want and thus success rates approach 100%? At some point something has to give

Emerging technologies like drones, cell cams, and computer-based hunting. Remember Texas?

That’s fair take and I agree. It’s an interesting position to put ourselves in with limiting technology because as humans we constantly want to improve our capabilities. We always have and we always will. I guess that’s where education on our part becomes key. As you pointed out about tag numbers. If success rate approaches 100% then you either limit tag numbers or you make it more difficult to harvest the animal. It’s imperative that we as hunters have a more holistic understanding of the consequences of our actions.

That’s fair take and I agree. It’s an interesting position to put ourselves in with limiting technology because as humans we constantly want to improve our capabilities. We always have and we always will. I guess that’s where education on our part becomes key. As you pointed out about tag numbers. If success rate approaches 100% then you either limit tag numbers or you make it more difficult to harvest the animal. It’s imperative that we as hunters have a more holistic understanding of the consequences of our actions.
I’m for anything that reduces success and/ordecreases opportunity at this point. Time to put the hunt back in hunting. Go utah! It’s the least they can do since they started the posse hunting chit show

That ban may be tough to enforce. If a landowner or person leasing the land is using cameras for "security/trespass reasons" and happens to catch wildlife on them ...

"
If a landowner or person leasing the land is using cameras for "security/trespass reasons" and happens to catch wildlife on them ..." then if he hunts them, he's in violation.

Honestly I’m floored this happened because of how beholden the wildlife board is to the individuals with money, i.e. SFW and the outfitters. It’s no secret that a lot of outfitters bait and trail cam the hell out of the mountain sides.

How are the hush boys going to kill any deer now without trail cams and bait?

Whenever someone approaches the discussion of limiting any realm of technology in hunting with something akin to, "bUt wHaT aBoUt GpS?", the smell of red herring makes me nauseous.

The Hushnites wrote a long post about this on their FB page regarding the decision, and this was how they ended it.

"It makes you wonder who this will really hurt the most? Your average hunter running 1-3 cameras or the outfitters running 50? "

The answer to that question is no one. It will hurt no one.

I'm fairly neutral when it comes to trail cam use, but other technology such as the Sig Sauer BDX system makes me want to barf. Bluetooth shouldn't be involved when hunting. Just get close enough so you don't have to use a range finder at all. It really is not as hard as people make it seem. And if you can't get close enough, don't shoot! What a novel idea. Alright this post went a different direction than I anticipated. Rant over, haha.

In a few years you will not need your own camera> you will just buy video off a live view server in the sky.

Then hunters will start bitchin about how hard it is to draw a tag, oh wait they're already doing that. ;)

I have mixed feelings. I don't like seeing more restrictions on hunters in general because these tend to domino. I have no dog in this fight, but generally think Utah makes dumb wildlife management decisions, and often for the wrong reasons. I've hunted Utah several times and didn't use cameras. If I ever draw elk there I wouldn't have used one if legal. I get the argument against emerging technologies and live in a state where bowhunters can't use lighted nocks or mechanicals.

I do think often these arguments are self-defeating and eventually you'll be the one upset. When that threshold is broken is personal to each individual. Will it be when bows can only have two sight pins with no slider. Or rifles can't have scopes or hold more than one bullet. Or when you can only use homemade spears with wooden shafts and rock blades....or only use bare hands and your own teeth to hunt and kill game.

We all benefit from technology. Taking it away won't take away unethical behavior or abuses to the system.

Outlaw scopes and guys will go from wounding elk at 1000 yards to wounding elk at 300 yards. Make waterfowl hunters use only steel and nothing heavier and they'll still sky-bust waterfowl at 100 yards. Take away range finders from bowhunters and they'll still fling arrows with a tiny hope it just may hit the kill zone.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back