Utah OTC

teej89

So it looks like I'll be moving to AZ this Aug... With that being said I'd love to hunt elk. It looks like the OTC elk tags in AZ are very slim to none in terms of success...

I was looking at doing a UT OTC tag because I already have a license for this year however I couldn't find any information when they go on sale... I see that last year they went on sale in July. I was wondering because i'd like to plan to pick a weapon and a unit but I'd like to know when I should have this all figured out by.

This is all I could find and it's from last year but it doesn't say what units the tags are for...

Edit: I think I found the right map....

http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=2e346210e2074049a46afa35b2359063

Anyone have an opinion on an area/season? I would like to rifle hunt since this would be my first DIY elk hunt but if archery is going to offer better chances at success then I'd take the bow. Also I'm open to either a cow or spike, i'm not just after a bull, it's more for the experience.

Thanks guys!
T.J.

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste my time in a OTC or General Unit in Utah. Most of the rifle tags are spike bull only as well. CO would be about the same distance or not much further. Come through Grand Junction and hunt one of the Flattops or Grand Mesa units. The draw is open to April 5th and put in for a 1st rifle hunt.

I wouldn't waste my time in a OTC or General Unit in Utah. Most of the rifle tags are spike bull only as well. CO would be about the same distance or not much further. Come through Grand Junction and hunt one of the Flattops or Grand Mesa units. The draw is open to April 5th and put in for a 1st rifle hunt.

My dad and I are hunting CO rifle actually or I would check this out, maybe next year! Or maybe I'll see if he'd rather hunt that area instead.

Thanks!

The Utah Open Bull is basically 10,000-14,000 people in the Uinta Mountains. A few people hunt Zion and East Canyon, but a majority hunt the Uinta Mountains and it is a sea of orange.

They do not keep track of the Harvest on this hunt, because it is a very low success hunt.

The people that are successful have hunted it for a long time and usually have horses at their disposal.

I have hunted it and will not hunt it again, it is worth the extra money to go somewhere else like Idaho.

The spike hunt is the better option, because you will see more elk - however you are limited to spikes.

If it was my money, I would go to Idaho, Colorado, or Montana every time. There is no sense in doing this hunt, unless your main objective is alpine fishing.

I use the utah general bull hunt as a backup plan to fill my early Oct. I have filled every bull tag i jave bought. Both spike and general bull. I do not hunt the uintahs. Spend some time looking over the any bull areas....all public land hunts. I scout my any bull spot and if it does not look good i buy and fill a spike tag. I passed 6 spikes and raghorns before i shot my 6point last year.

The Utah Open Bull is basically 10,000-14,000 people in the Uinta Mountains. A few people hunt Zion and East Canyon, but a majority hunt the Uinta Mountains and it is a sea of orange.

They do not keep track of the Harvest on this hunt, because it is a very low success hunt.

The people that are successful have hunted it for a long time and usually have horses at their disposal.

I have hunted it and will not hunt it again, it is worth the extra money to go somewhere else like Idaho.

The spike hunt is the better option, because you will see more elk - however you are limited to spikes.

If it was my money, I would go to Idaho, Colorado, or Montana every time. There is no sense in doing this hunt, unless your main objective is alpine fishing.

With me though utah is closer to me so I could make weekend trips up to the units and do some hiking and scouting. Ultimately I'm just looking for some experience so shooting a cow or a spike would just be the icing on a cake. With that being said would you still pursue other states?

With me though utah is closer to me so I could make weekend trips up to the units and do some hiking and scouting. Ultimately I'm just looking for some experience so shooting a cow or a spike would just be the icing on a cake. With that being said would you still pursue other states?

Fish Lake and Manti would be the recommended hunts if you are looking for a spike.

Southwest Desert, Pahvant, Beaver, San Juan, Panguitch, Dutton, and Boulder would be an option for spike if you are planning on drawing that unit at some point.

If you are in Phoenix, Colorado and Utah are going to be about the same to get into elk country. I would choose Colorado over Utah any day of the week for an OTC tag.

It may be a good idea to roll the dice on a New Mexico elk hunt since the draw is close, because that may be closer than driving to Utah. The Gila is closer to Phoenix than any of the units in Utah or Colorado.

+1 for applying in NM. Also you should consider applying for the UT limited entry tags as well. Every one at least has a chance in Utah.

Stats start page 76. 2014 but accurate for today. Disregard the rant about Uintas. Yeah there are elk there but many of the central and southern units are good. Good by Utah standards is relative. Colorado has something like 275K elk and Utah has 75K. We just don't have the habitat Colorado does. I'd go Colorado.

Good luck regardless of where you go.
- link http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/annual_reports/14_bg_report.pdf

Yeah my plan was actually to apply in NM, my buddies brother lives there and he knows the one unit really well. Draw odds are low but if I draw it'll be good.

I'd love to do CO but (this is due to my lack of knowledge on western states) am I able to get 2 OTC tags? My dad and I are trying to go, we're looking at a 2nd season rifle hunt in a unit up near Meeker. But would it be possible to get another OTC tag for the units in the SW part of the state like you guys are saying? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the tags...

If I'm reading the regulations correct.... I can draw a tag in a unit and then get an OTC tag in another unit? Or can I get 2 OTC tags?

"HOW TO GET MORE THAN ONE ELK LICENSE
ATTENTION: You may submit ONLY ONE application per species each year. Additional licenses for the
same species must be obtained as leftovers, over the counter or special licenses issued by CPW. "

Last edited:

This is basically what Adam Bronson said on the Jay Scott podcast recently.

Back