PEAX Equipment

Utah elk vs. Colorado elk

QuazyQuinton

Since the internet is a great place to pose hypothetical questions and get plenty of contradictory opinions, I'll throw a question out to hear what you have to say. If you had to pick one, which would you pick to buy a preference/bonus point in 2021 (assuming you will already be applying for other species in both states and buying the necessary licenses)?

Colorado elk with 0 points, or
Utah elk with 6 points

For background, I also have:
Oregon, 19 points (home state, planning to draw a "Big Three" unit as my next elk hunting priority)
Wyoming, 7 points
Nevada, 7 points
I'm not in a situation to do a lot of out of state hunts, so I am planning for 2021 to be a year of buying points only. Just trying to decide which is the better value toward something in the future. Of course, in the end I may choose one, both, or neither, and I will read your opinion, but I may or may not follow your advice. :cool:

QQ

Reactions: JAG
My input would be that you can do a lot in Colorado with 0, 1 and even 2 points then you hit a big no mans land where they don't really do much for you until you get to 10+ or even 15+.

Utah actually has more options in that 8, 9, 10, 11 point range if you are willing to go after some of the lower tiered late season hunts.

So if you are looking for something to hunt every 2 or 3 years, I would go with Colorado. If you are just wanting to stack up some points for a "sometime down the road" hunt, I would go with Utah.

It is cheaper to build points in Utah than Colorado if that makes any difference.

nice thing about colorado, like mentioned above, is that the 1-3 point range can simply get you into a unit with only 200 other bull elk hunters. instead of the 900 to 2000 other hunters that 0 point/leftover and otc units provide you to share company with. yes exceptions everywhere, but this is the generality i'm putting forth

big bulls exist everywhere, legal bulls especially exist everywhere

elk densities/numbers are not the same everywhere, however, which tag numbers can be a proxy for. but that doesn't mean it would be bad hunting either

For what it’s worth, I have more Utah points than you and I don’t expect I’ll have enough points to guarantee myself a tag for any hunt (late rifle included) in the next 15 years. The only value in Utah with your points is hoping to pull a random tag. You need to apply every year to make it worthwhile.

So, my answer is that there is more value in jumping from 0 to 1 point in Colorado than there is from 6 to 7 points in Utah, assuming you hope to use them in the foreseeable future.

So, my answer is that there is more value in jumping from 0 to 1 point in Colorado than there is from 6 to 7 points in Utah, assuming you hope to use them in the foreseeable future.

This is essentially the conclusion I have come to, also. Although, as @npaden says, there is an enormous abyss of no man's land between 2-3 points and 15 points for Colorado first rifle tags.

Underlying this question is whether I should continue in Utah at all. I have points in elk (6), limited deer (6), bison (6), mountain goat (6), and general deer (3). I usually apply for the cow bison hunts, so the odds are not astronomical there. I regard the general deer drawing as an opportunity to grab a buddy who might not have any points and split the points to do a hunt together in the next few years. Beyond that, I'm struggling to see a lot of potential value. There's just the emotional attachment to six years of investment. And the fact that my odds of drawing a mountain goat tag may be better as a nonresident in Utah than as a resident here in Oregon.

QQ

I think the general deer points in Utah could still be of value to you, especially since it would put you in a position to help a buddy and have a fun hunt. I was just checking GoHunt this morning and noticed they updated Utah Draw odds. General deer definitely saw some point creep with folks cashing in points and a large amount of new applicants at the zero point level. I expected it with all the covid related craziness we have seen this year but having the data makes you think twice about whether or not to stay in the Utah point game for limited draw hunts.

This is essentially the conclusion I have come to, also. Although, as @npaden says, there is an enormous abyss of no man's land between 2-3 points and 15 points for Colorado first rifle tags.

Underlying this question is whether I should continue in Utah at all. I have points in elk (6), limited deer (6), bison (6), mountain goat (6), and general deer (3). I usually apply for the cow bison hunts, so the odds are not astronomical there. I regard the general deer drawing as an opportunity to grab a buddy who might not have any points and split the points to do a hunt together in the next few years. Beyond that, I'm struggling to see a lot of potential value. There's just the emotional attachment to six years of investment. And the fact that my odds of drawing a mountain goat tag may be better as a nonresident in Utah than as a resident here in Oregon.

QQ
I’d cash in your deer points, and apply for elk until you burn them. It doesn’t sound like you’re chasing any one thing in Utah. I’d take the money you’re applying in Utah and buy raffle ticket hunts or bid on a hunt at a banquet. I’d build points in CO and burn them every 5 years

QQ
My opinion is that for just over $100 you have a chance at drawing any of those tags, Not a good chance, but a chance. I would at least use the general deer points and if your buying a hunting license to apply for GD you may as well throw your name in the hat for the other tags you mentioned.
I know several people that have drawn tags that they were not supposed to draw because they had very few or zero points.

Given that you apply for other Utah species, $10 is cheap to continue to chase giant elk dreams. If you don't apply in Colorado already, you'll be looking at $100 to get an elk point, which has value, but I'm not sure is worth it given you are never going to draw the middle tier, let alone the top tier hunts in the state. Just go hunt OTC Idaho, it's closer.

My input would be that you can do a lot in Colorado with 0, 1 and even 2 points then you hit a big no mans land where they don't really do much for you until you get to 10+ or even 15+.
The good news is Wyoming's 'no-mans-land' of points is smaller than CO. You can get some apparently good limited-entry units requiring 5-9 points.

I am sitting at 6 elk points and when I can get in a unit to burn them I am going to burn them and I am done with Utah. Wish I had never gotten started applying there.

Reactions: JAG
I am sitting at 6 elk points and when I can get in a unit to burn them I am going to burn them and I am done with Utah. Wish I had never gotten started applying there.

If you are already regretting getting into Utah after only 6 years, now's the time to bail. You are just throwing good money after bad if you have any illusion of drawing anything in the next decade with those points, aside from the slim chance you luck out and pull a random tag.

I have 20 CO points that I am planning on using in 2021 and as a CO resident will probably get me the tag I want. The reason I have so many is that I would put in for a private land cow tag (B list) as second choice after a first choice that was usually 10 points away and the cow tag was a lock until last year when it took 1 point. The availability of OTC rifle tags for bulls in later seasons or archery meant a CO A tag was pretty available. I think CO will be on a draw basis for most all A tags within a few years so I think it best to find a good hunt option burn some points and start drawing again. At 73 I avoid buying green bananas let alone planning a hunt 10 years out! I still apply in NM as it is a lottery ticket, thinking of stopping in AZ as the odds as a NR are just too low even for archery (maybe I need to think archery coues deer and quail), dropped UT years ago and will probably continue with WY elk,deer,antelope. Reducing tags may just improve quality of opportunity for everyone, might even give NR tags better value.

Given that you apply for other Utah species, $10 is cheap to continue to chase giant elk dreams. If you don't apply in Colorado already, you'll be looking at $100 to get an elk point, which has value, but I'm not sure is worth it given you are never going to draw the middle tier, let alone the top tier hunts in the state. Just go hunt OTC Idaho, it's closer.
Only reason I apply in Utah for Elk is cause of friends, otherwise not worth it. I put it for a bunch just cause it's an extra $10 lottery ticket. Utah point wise with creep means if your jist starting its a lost cause. Use that money to pay for a pricier hunt every other year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back