Utah draw odds posted

Did you have a good time? Are inches really the measure of hunting?

61393006.jpg

Has anyone hunted the Deep Creek mountains? I have the archery tag and am just curious as to what I should expect from this hunt. Thanks!

Has anyone hunted the Deep Creek mountains? I have the archery tag and am just curious as to what I should expect from this hunt. Thanks!
Never hunted it, but spent lots of time for work in/around there. Be advised that a good chunk of that range is a Wilderness Study Area and therefore has motorized travel restrictions. Also, take plenty of supplies, especially gas, as there's not really any place very close to resupply. Good luck on that hunt, it's some neat country that does hold some elk.

Not knowing the unit boundaries, but I'd start looking at the canyons to the east of Ibapah on the West side of the range. I know the elk make their way down to the hayfields on that side.

Never hunted it, but spent lots of time for work in/around there. Be advised that a good chunk of that range is a Wilderness Study Area and therefore has motorized travel restrictions. Also, take plenty of supplies, especially gas, as there's not really any place very close to resupply. Good luck on that hunt, it's some neat country that does hold some elk.

Not knowing the unit boundaries, but I'd start looking at the canyons to the east of Ibapah on the West side of the range. I know the elk make their way down to the hayfields on that side.

Thanks for the reply. My plan is to hunt those areas within the wilderness study area. I am going to pack into the high country and plan to stay a week before heading back to check on ice and resupply with food. I'll have up to two weeks if needed (longer if I fill deer tag in NV early). I have heard the hay fields actually get some pressure (as much as 12 hunters in the entire unit can create), so I prefer to avoid that if possible.

You would be pretty happy if you were the non resident who drew the regular elk archery tag on the Boulder with 0 points!

And the non resident who used 19 points for the late season pahvant elk tag, hope he didn't mix up the early and late hunts. If I had 19 (got 14) I'd be holding out for an early rut hunt.

Back