used rifles (and shotguns)

Randi

I have received excellent advise from a couple of members, but they suggested, I not only read the current thread started by Vickingsguy about new rifles under 750, but also join the forum. They said that this forum has some very knowledgable and helpful members.
They said it has been a pleasant surprise to find, in a forum this large, that there are only two members that like to "pick" at them, but if you ignore them, the forum is not just helpful but fun. And therefore I am asking my first question.

I have been successful in finding rifle's that would work for me on the "used rack". Almost always in person, but sometimes on line. My "wants" are for hunting only, no competition matches . I can usually find something that will work for less than the 750 number used as a benchmark on the thread by Vikingguy.

Do any of you look at or buy off the used rack. ? And would you prefer one of the rifles listed by vikingguy instead a used one, simply because it is new ? If you buy one of those that are listed, are they all hunt able out of the box or do you add things, like a new trigger, which makes that purchase even more ? I find the rifles I buy can be used and then traded or sold without a loss. If you bought on of the rifles listed new, would they decrease in value if sold in a year or do most of them hold their value ?

Obviously, we are speaking "in general" or "on average"

Thank you for your answers

Last edited:
I have and will continue to buy used, but only when I have a very specific want/need that is served by older guns - and even then I am very picky - I don’t easily trust how others treat their guns. Would I buy an nice vintage 16ga overunder in the right condition? Absolutely, yes! If I was smart enough and rich enough would I buy the kinds of guns @BrentD shoots? Hell, yes! Would I buy a 2 year old used Ruger American? Probably not. For the price difference I would buy new. Or a 5 year old Tikka T3? Probably not, as I like the upgrades they did to the T3x.

I don't have a problem buying used rifles from a forum user I'm familiar with or trading with same. As far as a run of the mill "used" rack, I'd buy a utility grade shotgun but that's about it. Things like round count, long term care, and feeding issues are too hard to pin down beforehand on a precision rifle of completely unknown history. My opinion.

One of my best shooter's I bought used. Nothing wrong with buying used, sometime's get a great price on them. Some guy's pick apart used claiming they may have problems. Keep in mind you buy new and it's no guarantee you won't have problem's! If you like to tinker, a used rifle with a messed up wood stock should be a good deal and easy to clean up and refinish a used stock. speaking of the inside of the barrel, guy's like to claim they wore out a barrel. Generally that means the rifle isn't shoting 1/2" group's anymore but opened to 3/4" groups, big deal! I have a 1903 custom done in 1945 that the inside of the barrel is a mess on, shoot's 1" group's all day and that way more than good enough for hunting. As I understand it the time to look for used rifle's is not to long after hunting season. Seem's people get a new rifle to hunt with and unload it after the season is over. I never tried that but who know's, might work well. Unless you are rich and just like to spend money, don't concern yourself with a $1500 scope. A decent $150 scope will serve most people well and for $1500, you can get ten $150 scope's and that will last you several lifetimes!

I love buying used rifles. Most aren't used much at all. Some are flat out abused, and some are hunted but well taken care of. You're going to have a few cosmetic dings in the stock or bluing from time to time. That doesn't hurt anything tho.

My favorite shotgun was purchased used. If I was buying a rifle, it would depend on what I was looking for and the value in the used purchase. As pointed out above, if you don't know the history that could play into the value (round count, etc.) There's risk in any purchase, new guns included.

Welcome to Hunt Talk.

If you buy carefully, a used gun will probably not decrease in value, and may increase. Sometimes substantially.

But used guns have several advantages. Many of them were simply made better to begin with. Some of them simply are no longer made, and most are fairly simple and more easily worked on, if and when they need it. But most of all, old guns come with history, even if you don't know exactly what it is, you know it is there and that is worth something. To me at least. Guns are not hammers or shovels.

One other thing about old guns - and I don't mean 5-yr old used guns. They were shot much gentler ammunition, so things like "round count" simply don't count.

I look at those Howas that Randy uses and think, 100 yrs from now will anyone remark on what a great gun it is, or what sort of craftmanship and artistry went into it? Will anyone be interested in collecting them simply because they have history? Can plastic and stainless acquire patina in any meaningful way? I don't think so, but I won't be around to say, "I told you so".

And last of all, you can buy an old custom built rifle with beautiful engraving, checkering, and wood for a small fraction of what a similar rifle would cost today. Why wouldn't you do that? I dunno.

And one more thing - almost forgot this. You can hunt FOR old guns as well as hunt WITH old guns. It makes the off season about 100 times more interesting. BTW, anyone have a nice R19 Darne 12 bore? I'm scouting around, posting up by some of the more productive watering holes, and I'm ready to ambush one if I can draw a bead on a nice enough one.

Welcome! An excellent used gun will be of better quality than a cheaper new gun. If you have a gunsmith, he can check any used piece you are considering for safety and function. Plus there are awesome guns from the past that are no longer made. I have bought 2 guns new out of dozens, and been well pleased w each of them, used and new.

Last year I bought a Mossberg 935 off the used rack at Cabela's. It looked basically brand new, except it was missing the choke. I paid $200 for the gun and $15 for a new choke. And it works like a dream. I was able to take it apart in store and check it out. And it looked like it was only shot a handful of times. But $220 I've spent on a gun.
I've bought quite a few rifles used. Some good some not. But I tend to stick with well known rifles 700's, model 70's, Mauser 98s, etc. Just because it's a lot easier to find parts for them instead of getting stuff custom made by a Smith. Either way a good deal is a good deal and being used wouldn't stop me

They were shot much gentler ammunition, so things like "round count" simply don't count.

I'd be careful issuing this as a blanket statement. A 40 year old .264 Win Mag or 30-06 is far different than the guns you tend to shoot.

I have no problem buying used. With many of the calibers I like being "old school" if you will, it's easier to find one used vs new anyway.

If I could, I would never buy a used rifle/shotgun. I've only bought 2 used guns, but that's cause they aren't made anymore new.

I prefer to buy new and never sell them.

I have never owed a new rifle. My first rifle was a hand me down 30-06 and it worked great, still does. Even the posthole augers were all bought used ( joking with Brent ) not about the used part, as they were used, but the posthole auger part :)

Glad she convinced you to join, several here have been there and done that and are willing to share what they had learned along the way. A couple of fellows even have good taste in music :love:

My first 2 guns were used when I bought them in the late 60's. A pre 64 model 70 30-06 and an 870. Both were in great condition and I still own them today. About half of the guns I purchased after that were also used. I think buying a good quality used gun is much smarter than buying an entry level new gun. I was in a gun shop last week and the shop had 2 almost mint condition post 64 model 70s with 3-9 Leupold Vari x 2 on them. One was an 06 and the other was a 270. I know 2 guys who currently do not own deer rifles but are looking at new entry level guns. They are not interested in a good used gun. I told them they could pay the $600 asking price for one of those Winchesters and use that combo for years. Nope they want a new gun for their first gun.

Thank you. I am not "sophisticated " so to speak, but I enjoy hunting. A lot. I tend to not spend much on firearms, scopes, tents etc and more on hunting trips. Thanks again for the welcome and information

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back