Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

used rifles (and shotguns)

I've bought 2 guns ever. The new one was an uncommon model variation that I could not find used anywhere. The used one was in terrible condition, and I restored it. All the rest were either inherited or traded. I prefer shooting and hunting with guns that once belonged to people I respect, usually family members. This has no practical value; I just like doing it. My ideal gun to purchase is used, cosmetically flawed, and mechanically sound. I like to tinker, restore, and customize, so I can take apart and replace parts, make then guns look nice again, and alter the gun to fit my needs/preferences.

The vast majority of new guns are made with crappy materials, or have poor workmanship. If you're going to buy new, pick a middle- to higher end manufacturer, and don't even think about the base model, unless you're immediately going to remove the crappy components and replace them with better ones, especially the stock, and sometimes the trigger. There is a trend over the last 3-4 years of competition among manufacturers introducing budget models. The results is a whole lot of junk floating around out there.

When Obama was president, there was a huge demand for used guns, because so many Americans feared he would ban guns. Now, the used market has cooled down and prices are not so inflated. It's a great time to buy a used gun. Even if you're not a DIY type, you can often find a good deal on a used rifle that might have a little cosmetic damage, and might be a slightly less popular chamber. If you find someone to swap with, you both save on the overhead that a dealer would charge. With a little research and poking around, you can get a very similar offering of a new $700-800 rifle for about $500, sometimes less.

I like old Winchester Model 1894’s. Besides looking like a legit John Wayne gun, you can’t help but wonder what that rifle has gone through for all those years.

Thank you all for the information. She told me to just join, ask your question, and you will get a lot of good information. That was an understatement. Thank you.

Picked up a used rifle earlier this year on a different site. A Browning A bolt in 7mm magnum for $525. Dropped a Burris E1 on it, now have a heck of a shooter for under $750.

Most of my shotguns are off the used rack... I almost prefer them that way. Already broken in. I don't have experience with used rifles or handguns though, not sure how I'd feel about them. I would think the rifles would be fine, assuming they're free of any obvious damage. But the handguns I might struggle with. I've only had handguns with the intent of carrying them and I'd hate to have a really scary looking paperweight in the event that I need to put rounds down range because I bought a used piece with a damaged firing pin.

I live in the area that Weatherby moved from. It seems almost every time I go to one of the local gun stores here, there is a used weatherby mark V sitting on the rack. Seems I have started gathering these rifles by the case! I only have 4 though. One is brand new in the box 1982 manufacture date. In all I paid $3500 for all four rifles, of which 3 had scopes, and 18 boxes of factory weatherby ammo. I would spend more than that buying 1 new rifle with a scope and ammo.

I love buying used rifles and shotguns as well as revolvers. Semi auto pistols I tend to buy new however.

All of my rifles I have are used, two of which on Gunbroker. Two shoot sub MOA, really can't complain with that. I bought a 1972 Remington 700 at a pawn shop that had a trigger job. Cleaned it up and put a nice Zeiss on it, its a great shooter. The one that doesn't is a late 1970's Remington 760 which isn't quite free floating and shoots about 1.6" groups with core locks. Not a scratch on this rifle and I bought it on gunbroker.

Not sure what exactly your looking for, if the budget is 750 with a scope or not. My most recent buy was a mid 1990's Sako 75 Finnlite .308. for $800 shipped on gunbroker, picutres were honest and it shoots .6" at 100 yards with hornady ammo. Loving this new to me Sako, its a solid tack driver without going all in buying a new one for $1600.

I buy a lot of used guns. I try to buy right and often make a little money if I sell them. Sometimes I get great buys and make pretty good money if I sell. I have all of the guns I'll need but still have a few on my bucket list to get. Those guns will all be purchased used as they aren't made anymore for the most part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back