Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Use Enough Gun

That little Mauser carbine had a bolt that was never meant for scope use by the way. The bolt did not recess into the stock but instead stood out proud. It was so much like lots of the old African dangerous game bolt action rifles of a by gone pre scope era.

Having the bolt be "proud" allows very fast manipultion, working the bolt securly much with the palm of your hand leaving the stock against ones shoulder,,,,,so the line of sight it not disturbed,,,,like a lever action rifle.

My Model 54 winchester also was never intended for scope use and it's bolt is "proud" too. Also very fast, positive to use and easy to keep at the butt at shoulder position.

This type of shooting it really traditional.

Pardon him while he finds the excel sheet and "African Cemeteries" tab...
The ballistics reports from the corner in Nairobi have to be enthralling reads; “ and if the hole hand been just .008 larger and had the bullet been 38.7 grains heavier it would have penetrated the buffalos heart causing it to only stomp the chit out of him instead of gore him to death.”

“On 38 occasions leopards would not have not ripped out hunters throats had the requisite Joules been imparted to the thoracic cavity of the feline.”

The ballistics reports from the corner in Nairobi have to be enthralling reads; “ and if the hole hand been just .008 larger and had the bullet been 38.7 grains heavier it would have penetrated the buffalos heart causing it to only stomp the chit out of him instead of gore him to death.”

“On 38 occasions leopards would not have not ripped out hunters throats had the requisite Joules been imparted to the thoracic cavity of the feline.”
For a continent with so many warlords and armies of child soldiers I’ve been told the record keeping is superb.

This thread has covered it all. I'm not sure how it went from "spurting blood like a whale" to Four Lokos and blacking out, and frankly, I don't intend to go through the 17 pages to get there, since the whole thing reminds me of Mountain Pursuit and the "3 D's" thread. If I wanted to get lectured, I'd impulse buy a new gun and hear it from my wife. In the meantime, I'd bet that new gun that more deer have been killed by a .22LR than any of the .338s. Poachers don't like to lose the animals they shoot, and the little .22 has filled more backwoods freezers out of season than about anything else I can think of.

...similar to to "Up the Nose" recommended by African profssional hunters for charging Cape Buffalo,,,,"up the nose" ...
Isn't it supposed to be...

65149419.jpg

The legacy of WDM Bell, is that the cemeteries in Africa have many hunters in them who tried to follow his “small bullet act” and failed. Add in that many animals went away wounded to die.

Bell was an amazing human anomaly and too many hunters did not have,never will have, his extraordinary combination of skills and dedication.

I miss the era of responsibility when state fish and game departments legally required a minimum of 6mm for deer hunting and .25 caliber for elk.

What has changed those laws, has been the powerful lobbying efforts of the gun industry to promote the use of .223 semi-auto’s for hunting game animals thus allowing a bunch of “Wanna Be’s” to play “Soldier Boy” dressed head to toe in camo while running around with their “weapons” with 30 round mags.

We are not at war with wildlife and the rifles we take game animals with should have enough energy and bullet weight to be humane killers beyond ideal conditions.

It it a shame that state Fish and Game Departments all over the country allowed this to happen.
Just a guess, but I bet those giant black powder rifles wounded just as much game and put just as many hunters in the ground, if not more.

The legacy of WDM Bell, is that the cemeteries in Africa have many hunters in them who tried to follow his “small bullet act” and failed. Add in that many animals went away wounded to die.

Bell was an amazing human anomaly and too many hunters did not have,never will have, his extraordinary combination of skills and dedication.

I miss the era of responsibility when state fish and game departments legally required a minimum of 6mm for deer hunting and .25 caliber for elk.

What has changed those laws, has been the powerful lobbying efforts of the gun industry to promote the use of .223 semi-auto’s for hunting game animals thus allowing a bunch of “Wanna Be’s” to play “Soldier Boy” dressed head to toe in camo while running around with their “weapons” with 30 round mags.

We are not at war with wildlife and the rifles we take game animals with should have enough energy and bullet weight to be humane killers beyond ideal conditions.

It it a shame that state Fish and Game Departments all over the country allowed this to happen.
Did COVID shut down the gun store whose gun counter you’d normally lean on and whose coffee you’d drink all day while spouting your “knowledge?” Is that why you’re here?

Did COVID shut down the gun store whose gun counter you’d normally lean on and whose coffee you’d drink all day while spouting your “knowledge?” Is that why you’re here?
Why the sarcasm??? An older hunter here mentioned WDM Bell and I was responding to him. Bell was considerec the best game shot ever. He wrote at least one book on te subject. A great read. I do not drink coffee by the way and have not been in a gun store in about three years.

Funerals over there are lit, so not a bad place to get mauled.

I lived in Africa for a year and a half back in 2003-04 and can say that I never saw a funeral like that. I saw a lot more where the vultures had their way than I care to remember.

similar to to "Up the Nose" recommended by African profssional hunters for charging Cape Buffalo,,,,"up the nose" goes right to the brain.

Funny that you should mention this advice from African professional hunters. I distinctly remember reading that a long, long time ago, likely in Outdoor Life. I thought of that wisdom on an Idaho moose hunt when I had a rutty bull glaring at me with his nose up and only his head visible at close range. Long story short, I got the moose but things got “western” before it was over. I bet none of those professional hunters, at least the ones of who lived to give that advice, tried that shot with a 200 gr Accubond going about 3150 fps.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back