Yeti GOBOX Collection

Use Enough Gun

Thank you for your response.

Pardon I but I disagree.

Below is link to the anatomy of a deer,,,,,structurally the same as an elk. The shoulder blade covers the upper part of the lung,,,,,lethal zone and also the spinal column,,,another lethal zone.

The shoulder blade is so close to most of the lungs, that prudence should dictate that any caliber used should be able to penetrate the shoulder blade or the big heavy bones just below it.

As former hunting guide I have developed great confidence in Barnes bullets. A 243 with a Barnes bullet would have penetrated that shoulder blade.

Either way a caliber should be “enough gun” to deal with issues that will arise even for the best hunters.

A Murphy’s Law insurance policy.

Any 257 caliber or 6.5 caliber would have penetrated that deers’ shoulder blade.

For many years I was a hunting guide for hunters going after huge wild boar on barley fields. Many were true Russian Boar with the thick cartilaginous shoulder plate that also cover the lungs.

I have had my lead core .270 bullet bounce right off that plate on a coming in angling shot.

A few day later another hunter took that boar and we could see the fresh scar that did not even get to meat. That would not have happened with the .270 and Barnes bullets

There is a middle ground between calibers with too much kick and more power than needed and ones which are suited for only the most ideal conditions.

As guide I set my minimum caliber at 6.5 and discouraged hunters from going over 30 cal due to recoil.

Anything I have said about using a .243 you can triple regarding a hunter using a .223.

A 270 bullet bounced off a boar? Sorry but I have a hard time buying that! If it even hit and blew up, you simply used the wrong bullet! Little old woman in Canada has the 32 world record grizzly she killed with a 22 long RF and you had a 270 bounce off a boar? amazing!

A 270 bullet bounced off a boar? Sorry but I have a hard time buying that! If it even hit and blew up, you simply used the wrong bullet! Little old woman in Canada has the 32 world record grizzly she killed with a 22 long RF and you had a 270 bounce off a boar? amazing!
My reccolection of the story was that she shot the bear right in the ear.

I packed a .223 looking for bears this weekend. Sorry if that ruffled anybody’s feathers. I plan to hunt with that little rifle a lot this spring, again.
Friend of mine killed some stuff in Africa recently with a .17 Hornet. mtmuley

Boy this is getting better. Shot a boar in the ear with a 270 and the bullet bounced off?
I read bear as boar. The lady in Canada that shot the bear shot it just under the ear or so I read. Seems that just under the ear and a bit forward is a soft spot. Oh yea seems she also shot it within petting distance. She properly used what she had and got the job done. She took her shot, not what the animal may have been offering!

In all fairness, "pigs is tough, but they AIN'T bullet proof!"

I spent about 10 years trapping, hunting and killing feral hogs.
I still stumble into them on occasion.View attachment 181011The rifle is an Anderson AM15 DIY in 6.8mm Rem SPC. Bullet was a Sierra 90 gr HP.
rifle. I ended uo Honestly? I didn't think the bullet had a snowflake's chance in hell. I shot her broadside at about 50 yards behind a curtain of bloodweeds!
View attachment 181012Same rifle, same handload with Sierra 90 grain HP. These two fell about an hour apart. Both one shot kills.

I can imagine that a shot at steep enough angle may be deflected by a hogs "shield", but not "bounce off".

Lot's of pigs in the Tex-Ok area that will fill the 300-400 pound slot.

I used a Ruger "Single Six" .22LR with 8" bbl to clean out pig traps.
Defelected,,yeah I will accept that term easily. If you spend enough time doing anything, then everything possible that can happen will happen. I had a 10mm in a Colt Delta Elite. It is a very powerful handgun. I read that rangers/wildlife biologists in northern Scandanavia carry Glocks in that caliber when doing research on polar bears.

I recall one hunt when I was carrying that little 223. I crested s knoll just as a buck was doing it from the other side. There he was just 50-60 feet from me, just facing me. To be legal there had to be at least one fork on one side, but his antlers just lined up so perfectely I could not see the fork.

I had my scope right in base of his throat.

Then he dropped and spun around, I saw the fork, but he was off.

I ran to the top of the hill and he was slowly trtting away at about 50 yards,,,,an easy shot to put a bullet just behind his last rib,,,,but I chosee not to take it cause all I was carrying was that pipsqueak rifle. I ened up not filling my tag that season.

This thought just came to my mind,,,,any of you that are familiar with horses will know,,,what a "proud cut" gelding is,. When cutting off the testis from a stallion, some teststerone/spern porducing tissue is left., but knot enough to really do anything of significance.

Thst is my new name now for hunters going afield with pip-squeak calibers. The "Proud Cut Boys". They have enough do do something, but cannot handle all situations.

Bring enough gun.

MR

I think the anatomy video is on page 3 of this one.

I packed a .223 looking for bears this weekend. Sorry if that ruffled anybody’s feathers. I plan to hunt with that little rifle a lot this spring, again.
There is no doubt in my mind that a properly placed and chosen bullet from a 223 will kill a bear. Don't believe I'd have the stone's to try it though. Depends on the bullet and shot you choose. But I think that might be a case where I'd throw the rifle on the ground, pull out my 44 mag and shoot my partner in the foot!

Greenhorn, I think I get where your coming from! Hope my post doesn't offend you! Not meant to.

Defelected,,yeah I will accept that term easily. If you spend enough time doing anything, then everything possible that can happen will happen. I had a 10mm in a Colt Delta Elite. It is a very powerful handgun. I read that rangers/wildlife biologists in northern Scandanavia carry Glocks in that caliber when doing research on polar bears.

I recall one hunt when I was carrying that little 223. I crested s knoll just as a buck was doing it from the other side. There he was just 50-60 feet from me, just facing me. To be legal there had to be at least one fork on one side, but his antlers just lined up so perfectely I could not see the fork.

I had my scope right in base of his throat.

Then he dropped and spun around, I saw the fork, but he was off.

I ran to the top of the hill and he was slowly trtting away at about 50 yards,,,,an easy shot to put a bullet just behind his last rib,,,,but I chosee not to take it cause all I was carrying was that pipsqueak rifle. I ened up not filling my tag that season.

This thought just came to my mind,,,,any of you that are familiar with horses will know,,,what a "proud cut" gelding is,. When cutting off the testis from a stallion, some teststerone/spern porducing tissue is left., but knot enough to really do anything of significance.

Thst is my new name now for hunters going afield with pip-squeak calibers. The "Proud Cut Boys". They have enough do do something, but cannot handle all situations.

Bring enough gun.

MR
Yea deflected. In the book Alaska Bear Tales I recall reading that a 20ga slug will not penetrate a grizzly skull coming at you but a 12 ga slug will crack the skull. The other part is the shot needs to be taken at something like 20 feet or even the 12ga won't crack the skull. I have read a lot of time's warnings about shooting a grizzly in the head coming at you. Hear the bullet bounces off and that deflected description. Reason being the radical slope on the bears forehead. I could buy that easily. lay a 2x4 on the ground and shoot at it with a rifle from enough angle and the bullet will glance off without penetrating. That's why we don't shoot shots like that into the lake!

Bring enough gun.

MR
All snafus with rifle shot animals I’ve experienced, were with plenty of gun and poor shot placement. Could be said for archery as well.

Proud cut - much ado about nothing. 😉

Know some guys that should have been "proud cut" at birth!

Vasectomy- all juice, no seed!

Have only shot one bear in the ear and it wasn’t intentional. Very long shot and got about 20” of unexpected wind drift. See if you can guess which one ..
EFC18338-F634-4574-84E0-CE985E7DCCF6.jpeg

And someone please help me out as I didn't get very far past the first post - what's the consensus on minimum caliber for shooting elk in the ass?

62 grain ttsx going 3050 broken shoulders and double lungs - he did the classic jump lunge face plant tumble.. 223 proud cut boy.. 🙂
View attachment 181022
Ya know what. Great job of choosing a proper bullet for what cartridge you were using. Tough bullet that held together, probably opened and destroyed some vitals with a well placed shot. Just proves well placed shot's with proper for cartridge bullet's kill.

Back