Upland Boot Recommendations

TexAg09

Howdy! I have a great pair of backpack hunting/mountaineering boots, but my boots that I wear for hunting here at home in TX (nothing too crazy in central Texas) and on upland hunts in the Midwest have bit the dust. I was hoping to hold off until next year to buy a new pair when the new Meindl Ultralight Hunters come out, but I have a habitat project in April at The Rita Blanca National Grasslands in the TX Panhandle that I'd like to have a better pair of boots for. I'm currently looking into various models of Danner and Irish Settler boots, but I figured I'd ask the experts for recommendations before I pulled the trigger. Of course I'll try them on to see what fits best before buying anything. I'm looking for non-insulated waterproof boots that are around 8" high and light weight. Thanks!

***Also, if anyone wants to join on the habitat project it's the weekend of April 23rd. Just let me know, and I'll get you connected. It should be a good time.

I'm in the same situation my upland boots fell apart this year and am looking for a light weight, waterproof, non insulated boot. Been looking at several. The Danner pronhorns interest me as well as the crispi Nevada. I know the crispi's aren't an upland boot but I want one that will last and I can use for warm weather big game hunting as well. I will be watching this thread as well.

I wore Danner Grouse boots for quite a few years. Presently I am using Crispi Idaho boots.

I like the Crispi boot quite a bit more.

I walk the flat Lowcountry wild in simple Timberland Mt. Maddsen boots. Waterproof. Non-Insulated. Light. $100. Comfortable right out of the box. Good for relatively flat terrain. Not hot in our hellish summers, which I would guess are similar to yours.

It's wet here, all the time. These boots keep my feet dry and don't make them sore.
20220225_170542~2.jpg20220217_175726~2.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Crispi Nevadas. Very comfy! But, they’ll slow you down a bit.

There are lighter boots out there. I use a pair of $100 Cabellas silent stalk for dry conditions, including dry snow. They make it easy to put a ton of miles in.

I’ve had a few pairs of danner pronghorns and they we’re all garbage and leaked like a sieve. I’m two seasons into a pair of danner grouse boots and have been blown away with their comfort and how waterproof they are. But I wouldn’t call them lightweight. They wouldn’t be my choice for western upland game hunts on dry/rocky ground, but they are my go to for moist/cold Midwest and upper Midwest upland hunts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back