PEAX Equipment

Upgrading a Model 70 EW

SagebrushSlayer

I just picked one up in .300 wsm for a really good deal. I fell in love with the HS Precision Sporter stock when I held one. Just wanting to see if anyone knows where the best place to buy them online is? I also plan on replacing the trigger with a Timney. Anything else I should look into? Plan on putting a Leupold VX-6 on it for glass. This gun is for my moose hunt in 2018 in AK and I would also like any recommendations for choice of bullet for moose/elk. I am thinking the new 200 or 212 grain ELD-X or 200 gr Accubond.

As you stated the upgrades, maybe bed the new stock...of the two bullets...200 AB

...you'll like the VX6, lap the rings.

30mm....talley has em in the the lightweight..check with them on height but thinking low for the VX6's 42mm bell

Ok thank you.

I just found out that HS Precision doesn't make a Model 70 stock with the vertical grip for the EW. I have emailed them to see if its a possibility. Any other suggestions for stocks that have a vertical or slimmer palm swell for the EW?

I think the Sako/Winchester Hunter stock looks like it'd be a good fit for the EW. I'd consider going with one in Edge technology (ie. lighter).

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-winchester-hunter/

Of the bullets you listed for moose, I'd lean heavily towards the Accubond and would also try the 200gr Partition. I've never hunted moose, but what little I do know about it does not lead me to think it's generally a long range affair. The bullets you listed from Hornady lean more towards that bent. For something as big as a moose, I'd err to the side of more bullet integrity over flight characteristics, though the Accubond is far from a ping-pong ball in that regard.

If the rifle has the old style trigger I would not replace it. It's renowned for it's simplicity and ruggedness.

Winchester triggers are easy for a good smith to work over. They will polish the surfaces, mine is set at 3.5 pounds.

If your stock doesn't come fully bedded, it's a pretty easy DIY procedure to pillar bed the action on a Model 70.

As for bullets, I would try a 165 or 180 grain Barnes TSX, but then again I'm a shameless Barnes homer.

I've bought a few stocks from Stockystocks.com. If you reload, check out Shootersproshop.com for your bullets.

Still looking into stocks, haven't received any feedback from McMillans, I called stockystocks, but they couldn't answer my question. I'm interested in holding the Sako Hunter stock, just need to find out someone here that has one or is a distributor.

I ended up getting a great deal on a VX-6 3-18x44 last week. It was a Cabelas in store special and they only had 4 left. The rifle is coming together for a heck of a lot less than I budgeted for, which is always good.

The rifle came with rings, Talley Lightweight Rings. The unique or interesting thing is the tops are lapped, but not the bottom?

Can't wait to see pics when you get it together. I've been debating between the VX6 and VX3i. Let me know what you think about the VX6.

Ditto on the Barnes TTSX anywhere from 130-180gr. My Kimber 300wsm loves them all. I would have no problem punching a moose even with the 130 TTSX.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back