Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Update - Downloading Trails into Google Earth

KayakMacGyver

**Update: I found a solution and included a link below in my reply. Hope others find it useful. **

I'm wondering if someone has had success importing named trails into Google Earth. I pay for an Elite Membership on OnX and it's worth every penny for understanding property boundaries (both in and out of the field), burn boundaries, trails, etc. It's also my primary GPS in the field. However, as a scouting tool the mapping is deficient. As I'm sure most others do, I prefer to use Google Earth for satellite imagery but I'd really like to be able to import the same trail layers into my Google Earth maps. It's quite annoying and imprecise clicking back an forth between Onx and Google Earth.

I'm from the Southeast and have had a tough time finding a resource that will allow me to download trails. If you have had success, or if you know where this resource might be located, would you mind sharing? I did find a couple sites that were pay only, but I feel like this is something that may be out there as public domain...I just haven't found it. I'm particularly looking for New Mexico for an upcoming hunt, but would be interested in other states as well.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
I create road tracks in GE and transfer to onX. Trails would be the same procedure. Maybe try juicy trails.

Word of caution is that the trails marked on the topo map may be quite far away or nonexistent. Not too big of a deal but if you're in the dark searching for a trail it can be quite time consuming and frustrating.

Hmm, it's matching up really, really good with where I am looking. I'll definitely keep that in mind though.

I use both On-X and Google Earth. There just seems each has features that the other one does not. That I like about Google Earth is you can zoom in on specific locations much quicker than On-X though On- is coming along where you may be able to do that now. On-X is oriented more toward hunting where Google Earth is not soo On-X has all the hunting options and areas marked out and you can also see property boundaries, public land areas and that and even landowner info that is not really available in Google Earth.

Last edited:
You are talking two different vendors and two different technologies. GE is NOT hunter/sportsmen oriented. I do not think you can do what you want to do on GE.

If someone comes up with a way to import/export the files between the two, I myself will be tickled silly because I like what GE does.

What are you wanting to import/export?
There is currently nothing on my onX that I can't get into GE. Geo pdf's need converted but that's about it.

I have been using TopRut (https://toprut.com/submit-map-request/) for this. It's a quick download that includes layers for roads, trails, and topographic overlays. Has anybody used this and found the above linked resource to be different or better?

The first link is a topo server and requires internet service. The toprut layers are resident and can be used in GE without internet. The toprut layers and importing your tracks, etc from onX into GE will allow you to use all that info on a laptop in camp with no service and be close to the onX experience. I'm hoping someday onX will allow downloading of their data to a pc like they do in the app.

Found what I've been looking for and want to pass it along. Sweet topo overlay for Google Earth, trails included. Best of all, free!

I am pretty versed at using Google Earth but this really helps with e-scouting for sure. Very nice find! Just downloaded it and put it to the test. The slider bar opacity feature allows you to just leave the overlay on and instantly slide between topo view and satellite imagery seamlessly.

Very nice post! (y)

Back