Upcoming move

VAOutdoors

Well I'm off to another destination in my Career. We are heading to Little Rock AFB. Never been to this town before but from what I have read and heard we are going to love Arkansas. We are looking to buy a house and have plenty of camping adventures plus lots of deer hunting. I also hear I need to take up duck hunting. Any advice on Arkansas is welcome advice.

Looking fwd to doing more fishing as well. I have to drive back to Va my dad is giving me his flat bottom boat. It should do well out there or so I think it will.

I live in LR. There is good public land hunting and camping. Check out Camp Robinson for some local deer hunting. The rules are weird but people kill big deer there. I hunt west of LR in Winona. I have seen decent public land bucks there but unable to connect so far.

You can also shoot a black bear with your resident tag. AR is home to 5000 black bears and in zone 2 there is NO quota and you have almost 1 month to shoot one with a rifle!

It's hard to draw an elk permit. It's pure lottery but I think it is still free to enter. However, you can shoot an elk if it is outside of the core elk management zone. No extra permit needed.

I duck hunt private land. My friends who hunt public timber talk about how crowded and hard it is on the weekends. This will be made worse when the AGFC decreases the amount of flooding they do next year. You can lease a field for $4-6k per season. Not a bad option if you have a few guys going in on it. River hunting may be a better option but it's tough from what I hear.

Fishing is great. You can fish for trout up north, several lakes have striped bass, and there are some lakes managed for trophy bass.

I'm still figuring out public land hunting, which is why i use the handle "beginnerhunter" (I'm used to private deer hunting with established stands/food plots etc.). But I think AR public lands are under-utilized. Especially after the first week of modern gun and during the midweek.

PM me if you want some info about local churches.

Good luck! If you like to read, you might want to pick up Stephen Hunter's books about Earl Swagger. They are fiction, but the main character is the father of the guy in the movie/book Shooter. Fun reads and are set in that part of the country.

A lot of good info here I really appreciate it. We are looking forward to getting there and exploring everything that the state has to offer.

I had a friend that lived in Cabot and he loved the town... I think it was under 30 minutes to the base.

There is a ton to do but the heat and humidity are an animal in itself...:)

This. the weather is really my only gripe with arkansas, i don't mind the storms too much i just hate the heat. But there's stuff to do in pretty much every direction. within a couple hours you can be in great deer hunting areas in the ouachita's and the ozark's. there's countless places to get away from people, especially if you get off the roads more than a few hundred yards. Our rivers are better than our lakes, i'd buy a kayak or a canoe to go with your flatbottom for smaller creeks and rivers, if you're willing to drive a bit there are multiple world class rivers for smallmouth. and if you're into trout fishing you're not to far from greers ferry which used to hold the world record brown trout.

X 2 in Camp Robinson. Good brim fishing and decent hunting. Been there quite a few times for school and always have a good time.

I had a friend that lived in Cabot and he loved the town... I think it was under 30 minutes to the base.

Cabot area is where we are looking at. I see your location says Sanford NC. I used to be at Pope a few years back. Would love to get back there.

Watch out for banjo players when driving the back roads.... :)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back