unlimited sheep

RockyDog

2 weeks til MT resident apps are due and im semi-seriously considering an unlimited sheep unit for the first time. Anyone else thinking about trying it this year?

I was until I decided to have a baby during the WORST week of the year for having babies if you're a hunter in Montana. Good luck to you.

When I first moved here it was unlimited where I bow hunt and should of done it then. I think now my bow area is permitted. I think it would be kind of a fun challenge. Are you thinking of coming over this way?

MdUnc8 you made a beautiful mistake that will haunt you for about ten years. Longer unless they take up your passion. My middle son was born "in the middle" of the best hunting time period. Fortunately he is now thirteen and will gladly skip a party to get outdoors. Good luck!

Congrats on the bad timing MDUNC. Id take a healthy son or daughter over any hunt any day.

Lawnboy i am looking at the areas near the park. I figure with elk #s in the tank over here and me still being in good shape maybe this year is the time to give it a whirl. One big drawback is doing it alone and da griz.

IIt was mentioned on a another site, that theres probably a loop hole to do the hunt and not lose your points.
Put it as your first choice, and then make sure you do NOT participate in the bonus points that year. You should be able to do the unlimited hunt and pick up the next year where you left off with your points.

I can`t guarantee it`ll work, but in theory it should.

IIt was mentioned on a another site, that theres probably a loop hole to do the hunt and not lose your points.
Put it as your first choice, and then make sure you do NOT participate in the bonus points that year. You should be able to do the unlimited hunt and pick up the next year where you left off with your points.

I can`t guarantee it`ll work, but in theory it should.

That would be a big plus, I know its a seven year wait should you harvest a ram in the unlimited units. It'd be an awesome hunt to do at least once, but at the risk of losing all my bonus points towards a hunt I'll probably never draw anyways, its really a head scratcher, I'm going to see if I can come up with anything solid regarding your above statement, that really would be a great thing should it prove to be true.

Rocky, Let me know what you find out about that when you call FWP................i've been considering the same thing the past few years but all my out of state hunts have tied me up. I have nothing planned at all this year so it might be a good year for me to try it if there truly is a way to do it and keep your points...............

I was until I decided to have a baby during the WORST week of the year for having babies if you're a hunter in Montana. Good luck to you.

Lawnboy was with me when I shot a bull on October 4th and my son was born in the wee hours of October 5th. That was cutting it to close!;) In fact bart didn't one of your brothers miss the birth of one of their kids because he was on the mountain? Oh and the sheep hunt sounds fun, and I will brave the griz if you need someone along for the ride!

Yea my brother had the Bridger deer tag and we had just gotten onto a monster and came off the hill to check on his wife. She says she's fine and to go back up and get the deer. Well no big deer and baby came 3 hours after we left. He still hates me:D

My dad was in the black hills deer hunting when I was born. My grandpa had to buy a ticket to fly him home in a prop plane... Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit!

I have a son born September 20th...have killed bulls on the 19th, the first year, the 18th, and 21st...here is to him being 4 this year....
I am considering an unlimited quota tag for sheep!

If you do not check the "Participate in Bonus Points" box, then you will not lose your points. Works the same with ewe tags. I checked it all out with Mr. Worsech @ FWP Licensing 2 years ago. You cant gain any points and you cant lose what points you have.

If you do not check the "Participate in Bonus Points" box, then you will not lose your points. Works the same with ewe tags. I checked it all out with Mr. Worsech @ FWP Licensing 2 years ago. You cant gain any points and you cant lose what points you have.

Thanks for the clarification I think I know the answer to this as well but correct me if I'm wrong. Should you be lucky enough to take a ram in the unlimited unit, you can't even build points for 7 years correct? If so do you lose your points after a certain period of not applying?

Thanks for the clarification I think I know the answer to this as well but correct me if I'm wrong. Should you be lucky enough to take a ram in the unlimited unit, you can't even build points for 7 years correct? If so do you lose your points after a certain period of not applying?

You could build points by applying for ewe tags. You are not eligible to apply for a ram tag during the 7 year wait. If you drew an ewe tag then you would lose your points, but I can think of worse things to do than hunt sheep. During the 7 year wait I would bet you would draw 2 ewe tags at least, even if you picked the lowest odds unit. So no matter what your gonna burn your points if you kill an unlimited unit ram. Either buy not using your points for 2 years or by drawing an ewe tag as a first choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back