Unit discussion for 2023 wyoming elk

ibchez

My dad and I are doing a wyoming elk hunt for my 40th birthday. I have tracked down 2 outfitters with openings in the week I think works best. I am currently working through references from the outfitters. Both are horse based wilderness hunts and am calling references of the guys more my dad's age, 64, checking on the physicality of the hunts. We are both backpackers and I was actually backpack training for the 2022 season when he told me we were going.
The nuts and bolts aside. I am asking if anyone has any experience in boulder basin or New Fork? Thoughts on the country? I would love to see a grizz or 2. We are both midwesterners so size of rack is basically meaningless, they will all be bigger than Ozarks whitetails 🤣, but seeing elk regularly would be a priority as would "stunning" country. Both units look amazing from pics and videos I can find. I would love to hear if anyone has loved or hated these units.
Thank you for indulging me I am so pumped.

Following.
DIY NR's like myself generally avoid elk areas with grizzlies and/or those containing too much DWA. Since you are going with an outfitter and wouldn't mind seeing a grizzly, you have the perfect mindset to have a terrific elk hunt in some really scenic areas. My vote would be Thorofare.

My dad and I are doing a wyoming elk hunt for my 40th birthday. I have tracked down 2 outfitters with openings in the week I think works best. I am currently working through references from the outfitters. Both are horse based wilderness hunts and am calling references of the guys more my dad's age, 64, checking on the physicality of the hunts. We are both backpackers and I was actually backpack training for the 2022 season when he told me we were going.
The nuts and bolts aside. I am asking if anyone has any experience in boulder basin or New Fork? Thoughts on the country? I would love to see a grizz or 2. We are both midwesterners so size of rack is basically meaningless, they will all be bigger than Ozarks whitetails 🤣, but seeing elk regularly would be a priority as would "stunning" country. Both units look amazing from pics and videos I can find. I would love to hear if anyone has loved or hated these units.
Thank you for indulging me I am so pumped.
"Unit discussion"and you dont give any unit info. I know bolder basin but not new fork (sure you dont mean north fork?). If your paying guides in wyoming you should experience the thorofare, most remote place in lower 48. Not to worry you will see bears like you want!

For an out of state hunter hunting Elk for the first time, either unit will be a good experience.

I'm gonna assume you have a general rifle tag, and I can guess which outfitters you are looking at. Both units will be high in the Scenic Value and both outfits are professional. With any outfitter the "quality" of the guides you get can be hit or miss depending on a variety of factors including injuries, mechanical breakdowns, horse issues, etc. While some professional guides are hunters, the majority do it because they like riding horses all day. But they can get you to where the elk are, you just gotta do your part shooting wise.

I'd recommend you get familiar with riding horses up to 8 hours a day as much as you work on your hiking and cardio. You will be riding out in the dark, and coming back to camp after sunset. If you can coon hunt on mules in the Ozarks, that is perfect practice...

Be able to mount and dismount quickly and get your rifle setup to shoot off an improvised rest. Don't plan on ranging and dialing on anything under 350 yards because the bull most likely is hoofing it to the timber.

If you have a saddle scabbard of your own your rifle fits in, I'd recommend bringing it. Especially if you have a big ol Scope objective or extra long barrel.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back