MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Unit 61 Colorado

7x7

Three of us are going to hunt unit 61 this year for Mule deer. The drawing isn't done yet but I think we have enough points and we are going to buy one land owner tag.

Anyone ever hunted this area before? Can you give me some insight?

Hey stay out of my backyard.....Deer King is right...there are big bucks and really nasty canyons too.....

Well 7x7.....you aspire to one of Colorado's Quality Hunt Units, meaning the deer herd in this GMU, as well as GMU 62 is being managed to produce trophies. The deer here are nice bucks....big racks...big weights...and healthy! It also takes big patience to draw in this unit as an out of stater (non-resident). Last year there were 175 bucks allocated each season and only 59 N/R granted in 2nd rifle out of 397 applications, and 59 granted in 3rd rifle season out of 246 applications. 28 landowner tags for 2nd rifle, and 26 tags for the 3rd rifle. Hunter success is highthough, 69% for 2nd, and 79% for 3rd. This unit is part of the Uncompahgre Plateau, and is managed out of the Montrose Service Center (970) 252-6000. Another source of information, if he is still there, is Gene Hunt, one of the Wildlife Techs at the Dan Noble Wildlife Area, (970) 327-4455.h How many preference points does your lowest man have, and did you apply as a group? Hope this adds to your info.....and....GOOD LUCK!!!

We put in for the 3rd season Nov. 5th - 11th. I have 6 pts, My brother in law Scott has 8pts and we did not put in as a group. I know Scott will get drawn and if I don't I'll buy a landowner tag. I've put my name on two when they are available knowing that if I do get drawn I could sell my landowner tag easily. The other tag is for a friend out of AK with no pts.

We plan on hunting the same unit next year for elk. Our strategy was to hunt this year for mulies and get to know the area a little. Next year my sister is going to put in for a tag (she has 12pts) and I'll buy another landowner tag. I want to save up my points for the following year. I guess units 55 and 54 are quality as well.

Thanks for the information. I'll follow up on that. I gained some of my current info from the Huntin Fool publication. Are you familiar with it?

Thanks again.

Just be aware landowner tags are not guaranteed as they have to be drawn also. I know a few licenses brokers that are way over promising tags and hoping for the best. If Garth or anyone else tells you they can for sure get you a tag they are lying to you. Depending on the unit your odds might be good but in premium units everybody and their brother who owns property are applying for landowner tags... and everyone will not get them. Just owning property is not enough.

DK, Point well taken. That is why I've contacted 3 different brokers to get a line on landowner tags. They can't give me any for sures until the end of June. Hopefully I won't be left with my pants down.

Would you mind sharing the brokers names you know and their numbers?

Thanks for the input

7x7
Personally I think what some of the brokers are doing is borderline fraudlent, especially Garth. I wouldn't buy a tag from him if he had the last mulie tag on the planet. Nothing but scum in my opinion. Not sure if you know what he and some of the others were doing but I won't go into it right now. I'll give you a few other names but you've probably already contact them. Alan Pennington - 970-245-5025, David at MuleyCrazy - 435-644-2485. Not sure either will have any but it might be worth a call if you havent already. Best of luck.

Info on The Huntin' Fool, and I'm inclined to side with DeerKing on similar issues!

"Former Utah Division of Wildlife biologist and veteran big game hunter Garth Carter runs his Hunter's Services out of Minersville, Utah, along with his son Jason. For a yearly membership fee, Carter's service will answer a hunter's questions and provide research through an in-depth monthly publication.

That publication, "The Huntin' Fool," varies from 32 to 48 pages each month and provides hunters with carefully researched information on big-game hunting in each Western state. Included is unit-drawing odds, sleeper units, trophy units and a highly popular section containing discounted cancellation hunts scattered around the American west, Alaska and Canada."

Info that a hunter can glean for himself without all the hype!

I have talked with Alan P. but not David at MuleyCrazy. I'll call him. I would be interested on your opinion of Garth. There is no doubt he is making a killing with a $100 subscription fee, I wish I would have thought of it. I do enjoy the mag. and articles on equipment though.

Back to CO. One of the reasons we chose this year is that due to the moisture and good mgmt. CO is supposed to produce more 200pt bucks this year than all other western states combined. Makes for an exciting trip.

I kind of hate to hear complaining by residents about nonresident tag quotas when they have a loophole that they can sell landowner tags to nonresidents. I didn't realize there was a difference between private-land only tags and these landowner tags until this year. I've thought about it for a while and I think this is a ridiculous loophole that undermines residents and nonresidents alike.

As mentioned on some earlier posts, I don't have a problem with paying trespass fees or people leasing private land land for hunting in these high quality units. I think the RFW program is great. However, I have a big problem with people selling landowner tags to nonresidents (or residents for that matter) who will use those tags on public land and have no intention of hunting the land those tags were assigned to. With all of the problems we hear of residents not being able to hunt near their homes, this is a blatant loophole that directly affects the quota of tags available to the general public. In my opinion, CO residents should lobby the heck out of DOW to shut this thing down. Again, landowners should be able to get all the private-land only tags they want (obviously within reason). Wait your turn for your tags if you want to hunt a unit that badly!

It isn't necessarily the commercialization that bothers me so much. I would love to make a living hunting and don't blame anyone that does. But this is just a blatant end-around. When we already have nonresidents and residents arguing with each other or fighting with wildlife agencies in the courts, this loophole just adds fuel to the fire and contributes to the problem. I blame DOW on this one more than the landowners or the tag brokers. Some of the brokers do seem to be taking advantage of people though. Although those not willing to spend the time to learn the system shouldn't receive too much pity.

I guess maybe that was too broad of a term. Whereever you have money involved in something, there is always corruption to go along w/ it... That's the point I was trying to get across...

OSOK Couldn't have said it better............

Whitedeer- by the way....GMU 62 is not managed for trophy quality...I even believe its the most heavily hunted unit in the state...

OSOK, or rather Sneakum.....I stand corrected....you are totally correct on it not being a Quality Unit but I haven't seen any numbers indicating it is the most heavily hunted in the state.....source please.

.....Ask the montrose office....I'm sure they can tell you...probably one of the wardens..or the biologist...think the last time I saw it was on the H.I.P. results....which is a survey following the season, where they ask all the hunters questions about where they hunted etc. (If you already didn't know) That way they can see where all the OTC elk tags hunted too....Deer are all limited statewide....You can kill good bucks in 62 on private and some of the nasty places (nearly vertical canyons)....But its like a three ring circus on any public ground...even when the leaves fall off the forest is still in fall color(orange) ...

Sneakem.....Only 580 deer permits were issued in GMU 62 for each season last year.....this against the 1000 to 1800 permits issued in other GMUs does not support this as one of the heaviest hunting areas for deer.. I don't know how many over the counter elk are issued but the Colorado stats did show 6,632 elk hunters in all seasons which is alot. So it could very well be the heaviest hunted in total hunters.

Thats kinda what I was getting at...not necessarily deer tags but the excessive pressure on the unit...the elk hunters make it really hard....Personally I like the unit as a sleeper, but I've hunted it for years....and know where the deer go...you better have private ground or really know how to hunt the thick cedars and canyons........

So what do fellas feel. Is this year going to be a great mule deer year in CO. Or is the stuff I've been reading and hearing false.

Regarding unit 61. Are there alot of deer or is the density pretty low. How many animals can we expect to see in a day? I have no problem passing up on deer until I see that 180 pt or better. What can I expect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back