Unit 54 Idaho Archery Deer

Kiwi

After looking to hunt archery deer in unit 54 idaho for the last 6 years I have finally got my plans together and just paid for the tag. Excited to explore southern Idaho late September with a bow in my hand. Unfortunately I didn’t draw the elk tag!

Anyone else draw this tag? Or had recent experience?

I believe the unit deer numbers might have dropped over the last few years and it’s now a ‘limited number’ draw for non residents like me.

Any Idaho draw odds experts out there?

I was wondering what the 2022 NR draw odds for 54 archery was and also the total tags handed out.

This is the info available on Idaho Fish and Game, but it looks incorrect:
Year 2022
Hunt# 1082
Area 54
Draw *1
1st Choice Applicants 257
Permits Awarded 257
1st Choice Success% 100
1st Choice Applicants 59
Permits Awarded 59
1st Choice Success% 100
Total Awarded 627
Permit Quota 627

Thanks Fowl Hunter.

I should have said earlier that the 2 things that puzzle me are (1) the NR limit is 59 and its possible 59 NR applied but seems too much of a coincidence? and (2) How can the Total Awarded be 627 when Resident awarded was 257 and NR Awarded was 59?

Not that it really matters but I have trouble ignoring weird odds info haha

Last edited:
The tag is Unlimited - everyone that puts in will get it whether it’s their first or second choice in the draw. The total tags awarded breaks down as follows:

257 resident and 59 NR = 316 1st choice tags.

Odds also show that 311 of 393 2nd choice tags were given. Not everyone got one because some of those 393 must have drawn whatever their first choice hunt was.

But those two numbers get you to the 627 total tags awarded.

Best of luck on the hunt! I love just a couple hours away in Pocatello. If you need anything feel free to reach out.

The tag is Unlimited - everyone that puts in will get it whether it’s their first or second choice in the draw. The total tags awarded breaks down as follows:

257 resident and 59 NR = 316 1st choice tags.

Odds also show that 311 of 393 2nd choice tags were given. Not everyone got one because some of those 393 must have drawn whatever their first choice hunt was.

But those two numbers get you to the 627 total tags awarded.

Best of luck on the hunt! I love just a couple hours away in Pocatello. If you need anything feel free to reach out.
Thanks! That makes sense.

I'm actually passing through Pocatello on my way from SLC --> MT for my first part of my hunting trip.

It might be awhile before he can answer. He's on the other side of the world. It's either day before yesterday, or the day after tomorrow (I forget) there.

Sept 5, driving from SLC to Idaho Falls and then onto MT sept 6.
I’ll be chasing moose that day unfortunately as it’s a holiday for us. But only about 45 minutes away. PM me your contact info and we can be in touch if plans change.

I drew a bull elk tag for unit 52
&
I drew a Buck tag for unit 54 this year

Feeling better about the deer hunt than the elk hunt. The elk hunt is in August, hot as hell. I have not spent time in either unit.
54 sounds great for deer!
52 sounds ok for elk!

I drew a bull elk tag for unit 52
&
I drew a Buck tag for unit 54 this year

Feeling better about the deer hunt than the elk hunt. The elk hunt is in August, hot as hell. I have not spent time in either unit.
54 sounds great for deer!
52 sounds ok for elk!
Congrats on drawing. Is your deer tag for the rifle season?

I was out in Unit 52 yesterday and seen (2) bucks in velvet. We went for the big wood fish salvage and slayed em. There are some jumbo trout in there all schooled up. Perfect bow fishing scenario.

Ain’t seen any elk out there yet.
I think the northwest area might be best for these elk. I’ve been in other desert units and seen elk in the ocean of sage in September.

Heading back this weekend to sit and glass for these elk.

I had a great time exploring a new area.

Unfortunately I was restricted on where I could go due to my rental 4x4. I saw lots of deer and had a couple of opportunities on smaller bucks but no buck down.

A highlight was getting amongst groups of huge bulls bugling - that was very impressive.

For my next USA trip I'm planning a rifle hunt in the rut so my odds of a deer kill are higher :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back