Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unit 51 Oct 17-21 mature bull

Chief233

Hello everyone just joined the group a few minutes ago. I hope everyone is doing well during this crazy time we are in. I have been putting in for an elk tag for twenty years and this year I decided to check the fourth choice box. I was surprised to get a tag for unit 51, so happens, I live in Artesia, NM. I plan on going up a few days early to do some scouting. Planning on camping at the El Rito campground. I would greatly appreciate any information or suggestions you guys or gals may have. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum
f.png

Welcome. I think you are on the right track to go in and scout.

to make your scouting trip more effective, i highly reccomend spending some time and doing some e-scouting. Randy Newberg's youtube has a playlist of it and its worth taking the time to watch. i have watched it through multiple times and every time i take something new away from it.

Welcome to the forum!

I have the same exact hunt as you. Maybe we can coordinate with some real time field updates in October.

Welcome to HT!!! Never elk hunted that area but if you work hard you'll find em. Seen plenty when I bear hunted there a few years ago

I have the same exact hunt as you. Maybe we can coordinate with some real time field updates in October.
That sounds like a great idea. My son and I are planning a scouting/fishing trip, October 2-5. I’ll give you a heads up on what we find.

Hello everyone just joined the group a few minutes ago. I hope everyone is doing well during this crazy time we are in. I have been putting in for an elk tag for twenty years and this year I decided to check the fourth choice box. I was surprised to get a tag for unit 51, so happens, I live in Artesia, NM. I plan on going up a few days early to do some scouting. Planning on camping at the El Rito campground. I would greatly appreciate any information or suggestions you guys or gals may have. Thanks.

I read somewhere recently that they closed the campground due to it getting trashed. No worries - there are plenty of places to farther up that canyon or on the other access roads.

I read somewhere recently that they closed the campground due to it getting trashed. No worries - there are plenty of places to farther up that canyon or on the other access roads.
Yes, it is closed indefinitely until they can arrange for someone to collect the trash on a regular basis. Hope to find one close to the river.

Yes, it is closed indefinitely until they can arrange for someone to collect the trash on a regular basis. Hope to find one close to the river.
to make your scouting trip more effective, i highly reccomend spending some time and doing some e-scouting. Randy Newberg's youtube has a playlist of it and its worth taking the time to watch. i have watched it through multiple times and every time i take something new away from it.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks I’ll give it a try. Have you done any fly fishing in the Carson National Forest. I plan on bringing my fly rod along on the hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back