Unit 46-2 report

Kevin W

Well better late than never I guess, as many of you know my 12 yr old son and I went on our first big game out of state hunt this past October. Thank you to everyone who gave advice via pm or post. We drew unit 46-2 tags for antelope in Wyoming. We did get permission slips for the Simpson Ridge HMA and initially had 9 days to hunt.
Long story short our hunt was cut down to 4 actual hunt days due to the snow storm early in the hunt that delayed us from hunting the opening Saturday and Sunday and then we needed to be back home unexpectantly early. We hunted Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday after the opener of 46-2. The hunt was a real progression; from being happy to see antelope the first day to the excitement of getting a chance for a shot the second day (the shot didn't present itself though) to a stalk and shot (clean miss) which brought on the lowest of lows on the third day to finally a stalk / shot with success and a huge feeling of accomplishment on the fourth morning (last day). With this being our first time hunting out west we certainly made some mistakes and since I had my 12 yr old son with me my primary focus was on him getting an antelope buck so I didn't even uncase my rifle. A huge thankyou to site members Cliffhunter and Muskeez as both were very instrumental in helping renew our confidence after the third day and helping us find a new area to hunt on the last day of hunt. The last morning was cool, we had the area to ourselves found a nice buck, put on two stalks and my son took a 208 yard shot. After the shot and short tracking job we soaked it all in on a sage cover ridge just my son and I, a perfect morning, no wind and hardly a sound. We took our time taking pics, boning the buck out and loading the meat into game bags purchased for just this occasion. We then we loaded them into our vests for the pack out. All the self imposed pressure was off and even though we had 3 other tags in our vests we didn't care; we were successful my son got his buck.
I am not sure if all of the hunts or units are like our hunt in 46-2 was but all in all 46-2 was just a too busy for me with way more hunters seen than antelope (in our unit anyway). I am sure though that we will be putting in for the draw again for next season and that we won't be putting in for 46-2 but trying our luck in drawing another unit.

Attachments

• Camera Cyber shot 106.jpg
    Camera Cyber shot 106.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 736
  • Camera Cyber shot 115.jpg
    Camera Cyber shot 115.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 782
Way to go Kevin and Kenny!! It was great to meet you guys out there and to see the excitement in Kenny as he showed off all the sheds he found. I knew he would keep at it and succeed eventually. It was quite a learning curve and the snow and mud roads didn't help, but it made the successes that much sweeter. Congrats again!!!

Awesome story. Can't beat time in the field with family - and first buck stories will be remembered for a life time.

Awesome hunt! What kind of gun is he shooting?

It's a Savage Trophy Hunter XP with a Nikon BDC scope package in a .243 lefty with a Harris Bi Pod attached. He loves it, got it for his 12th birthday and he can shoot tacks with it.

That's great
Well better late than never I guess, as many of you know my 12 yr old son and I went on our first big game out of state hunt this past October. Thank you to everyone who gave advice via pm or post. We drew unit 46-2 tags for antelope in Wyoming. We did get permission slips for the Simpson Ridge HMA and initially had 9 days to hunt.
Long story short our hunt was cut down to 4 actual hunt days due to the snow storm early in the hunt that delayed us from hunting the opening Saturday and Sunday and then we needed to be back home unexpectantly early. We hunted Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday after the opener of 46-2. The hunt was a real progression; from being happy to see antelope the first day to the excitement of getting a chance for a shot the second day (the shot didn't present itself though) to a stalk and shot (clean miss) which brought on the lowest of lows on the third day to finally a stalk / shot with success and a huge feeling of accomplishment on the fourth morning (last day). With this being our first time hunting out west we certainly made some mistakes and since I had my 12 yr old son with me my primary focus was on him getting an antelope buck so I didn't even uncase my rifle. A huge thankyou to site members Cliffhunter and Muskeez as both were very instrumental in helping renew our confidence after the third day and helping us find a new area to hunt on the last day of hunt. The last morning was cool, we had the area to ourselves found a nice buck, put on two stalks and my son took a 208 yard shot. After the shot and short tracking job we soaked it all in on a sage cover ridge just my son and I, a perfect morning, no wind and hardly a sound. We took our time taking pics, boning the buck out and loading the meat into game bags purchased for just this occasion. We then we loaded them into our vests for the pack out. All the self imposed pressure was off and even though we had 3 other tags in our vests we didn't care; we were successful my son got his buck.
I am not sure if all of the hunts or units are like our hunt in 46-2 was but all in all 46-2 was just a too busy for me with way more hunters seen than antelope (in our unit anyway). I am sure though that we will be putting in for the draw again for next season and that we won't be putting in for 46-2 but trying our luck in drawing another unit.
I'm actual looking into hunting this unit next year. Did you camp or where did you stay?

That's great

I'm actual looking into hunting this unit next year. Did you camp or where did you stay?
We stayed in Laramie and drove to and from the hunt area each day. As first timers 8 years ago it was fun but tough. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't and couldn't recommend burning any points on 46 now as a first choice. As a second or third choice ok I guess. What I didn't understand was the limited public access / public ground. In 46 you are basically stuck with an hma for hunting and those get a ton of pressure as almost all of the tag holders are there before you or with you. Thanks for bringing up the memory though, it was a tough hunt and a memorable adventure. I hope you can have the same......... a Memorable adventure, that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back