Caribou Gear

unit 4 Co.

brike

anybody else going to hunt in unit 4 Co.?
i'll be going out for 2cd season.

a guy i know has hunted it many times
and said he has had a hard time finding
big bulls but leagel bulls are no prob. to find

and said he has had a hard time finding
big bulls but leagel bulls are no prob. to find

brike, He is right. That unit has good genetics and food but they don't live long enough to get big. Those "Ranching for Wildlife" programs wipe out the bigger bulls every year. It is a great unit to kill a bull though, one of the best in the entire state.

Brike
I know the unit, have hunted it plenty, and your buddy is right; big bulls are few and far between.
The DOW manages that herd for quantity rather than quality, so pretty much every bull is shot as soon as a forth point shows up. But that provides a higher success rate.
There are tons of elk though so you should have good luck! Also there are some great spots for deer and tags can still be picked up according to the leftover list.

Hiker, the RFW in units 4 only accounts for 12% of the bull harvest, so I'd likely point the finger at the fact that there are 6500 elk license holders per year in the unit...

i looked at the leftover list yesterday and there was 1200+ doe tags left
but i think buck tags are draw only, arent they ?

i will pick one up when i get out there. i wonder if you can get more then one ?

There's still 661 buck tags leftover for that season and unit. You can buy two deer tags there as long as at least one is a doe tag.

Back