Unit 39 Idaho late archery

muley chaser

Headed out for my third day of the late archery hunt tomorrow, hoping this storm is getting some bucks moving around. Last two days I’ve been seeing a ton of elk but no bucks that are decent. Figured now that university of Idaho has a later thanksgiving break the hunting might be be better than pervious years but I’m a little stumped. Anybody else getting into the muleys?

Attachments

• 46BB8A38-E616-42C5-BEF5-557FFFCF2717.jpeg
    46BB8A38-E616-42C5-BEF5-557FFFCF2717.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
It does appear to be a different year. I made it out Thanksgiving morning and, in an area were I have always seen 100+ deer this time of year, I only saw about 60. Of those one fork horn, two pencil thin spikes, and one possible mature buck bedded in some brush. About to head out this afternoon to see whats moving around.

Last edited:
Went out on Friday as well, saw about a quarter of the deer I usually see. Also ran into some guys who thought they got hit really hard this year during the rifle hunt. From what I saw in the 4 days I hunted this week I’d belive it, it was pretty sad compared to years previous.

With no previous experience in the unit, pressure in the general rifle season seemed extreme to me. No idea how it compares to previous years, so take that for what it's worth but I moved around quite a bit and never had a sit where I didn't see at least one other hunter. And that's not even taking into account the convoys on the roads

Went out on Friday as well, saw about a quarter of the deer I usually see. Also ran into some guys who thought they got hit really hard this year during the rifle hunt. From what I saw in the 4 days I hunted this week I’d belive it, it was pretty sad compared to years previous.
I heard a similar theory about a bunch being taken during the rifle hunt. The weather we had in the middle of October did get them moving and quite a few may have been taken. I will be curious to read the hunting stats when they get them put together next year. I also feel that the warm dry weather had an impact as well. I guess if it was "easy" every year, it wouldn't be as satisfying.

With no previous experience in the unit, pressure in the general rifle season seemed extreme to me. No idea how it compares to previous years, so take that for what it's worth but I moved around quite a bit and never had a sit where I didn't see at least one other hunter. And that's not even taking into account the convoys on the roads
Welcome to hunting in 39. It is always more like a war zone on the weekends. If you can get out during the week it isn't nearly as bad or be willing to really test the quads God have you and hike in further than anyone else. There are still places others don't venture into very often, but it will take some scouting and conditioning to escape the crowds and find deer consistently. Best of luck to you.

I also found it interesting that I did see 3 coyotes harassing a group of deer on Thanksgiving Day. I may need to head back out there with a .243 and see if can't help "relieve" the deer from the unwanted advances of these rude canines. ;)

I also found it interesting that I did see 3 coyotes harassing a group of deer on Thanksgiving Day. I may need to head back out there with a .243 and see if can't help "relieve" the deer from the unwanted advances of these rude canines. ;)

Coyotes are a fact of life. Shoot away, they are fun and challenging to hunt. Don’t fool yourself with the illusion that shooting a few coyotes is making any profound impact on deer and or elk numbers.

Welcome to hunting in 39. It is always more like a war zone on the weekends. If you can get out during the week it isn't nearly as bad or be willing to really test the quads God have you and hike in further than anyone else. There are still places others don't venture into very often, but it will take some scouting and conditioning to escape the crowds and find deer consistently. Best of luck to you.
Yeah the only good bucks I’ve ever gotten into during the late hunt been so far from the roads you start to question your sanity. Lol

My friend and I were lucky enough to draw the late season archery deer tag in 39 this year. Is hunting pressure still a big factor on the hunt?

Back