Unit 34 mid dec elk hunt in NM

Topper44

I was able to get my hands on a unit 34 elk hunt in mid dec this year i havent hunted the area before and was wondering if anybody would be willing to pass along any info they have about the unit.

Get the Forest Service map for the area. There are lots of elk and lots of roads. There is no bad part of the unit, as the elk are everywhere. If they get a bunch of snow, just hunt the snow line, as those elk will go way down when the winter gets tough.

Any of the canyons and ridges south of Cloudcroft have elk. North of Cloudcroft gets into more private land, but also has plenty of elk.

I lived in Alamogordo for 11 years, but usually hunted elk elsewhere due to drawing odds. I always saw plenty of elk around Mayhill, Weed and Sacramento while hunting mulies. If the roads are passable, all the areas between Sacramento and Cloudcroft will afford you plenty of opportunity.

If you want to lay out some big dollars, I know the owner of the Circle Cross Ranch north of Timberon and can probably get you in touch with him.

That is all beautiful, rough country with some great elk. You should have a great hunt. The biggest bodies that I have ever seen on elk were from that area. They live well all year around. My father-in-law killed a cow on the Mescalero one year that produced 195 pounds of processed meat-without sausage etc.

Good luck.

Back