Unit 23 draw question

25/06 Rem

I would appreciate it if I could get some advice on drawing a WY antelope tag. I got the good news that I’m going to have access to a private ranch in Unit 23. I have 2PP’s. The unit was 100% draw last year. I would like to choose some impossible to draw unit as my first pick and Unit 23 as my second in order to save my points. I really want to make this hunt happen while I have access. I looked at 2018 draw stats and it looked like basically everyone got drawn on second pick. Do my points help me on a second option? Is this a bad idea? My main priority is going, but I really want to keep my points!
Any input appreciated. Thanks - 25/06 Rem

Last edited:
If you have access to private property and you intend to stay on that private property then you can apply for a type 2 license. If you look up the leftover draw for 2018 you will see that there was a quota of 888 tags and only 180 first, second and third choice applicants combined. Easy-peasy. keep your points.

023 2 ANY ANTELOPE 888 146 22 12

Don't even mess with the draw for 23-2. Just buy it as a leftover later in the summer along with another PP between 7/1 and 10/31 so you'll have 3 PPs for 2020.

Whew, I saw the title and I thought this was another parking thread....

What Top Gun said about the tag is good!

Guys -
Thanks for all of the input. Follow up dumb question: if I put 23 as a second choice, do I automatically get a preference point or do I need to go the leftover route to get an additional PP this year?
Thanks again for all of the great advice. I’m already looking forward to this hunt!

The 23-2 is a lock as a leftover without even entering the draws and it also saves having to pay the draw application fees. If you look at the way Wyoming runs the draws, you would know that there is always a chance you could draw the first choice tag in the Random Draw that you also go into after the PP Draws and would lose your PPs. You do not automatically get a PP in Wyoming. You have to buy it between 7/1-10/31. Don't over think want you want to do this year and just do what I mentioned.

Last edited:
That's a great idea, 23 had some great bucks on private when I was there last year.
neffa3 -
I know it changes year to year, but what kind of quality is reasonable up there? We plan on putting in 3 good days at the very end of the season.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I haven’t hunted antelope in WY since 2009 so I’m excited to get back.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back