PEAX Equipment

Unit 16 Kansas deer tag

trice

I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post. A friend and I had a hunt set up to hunt unit 17 for mule deer. But, when the results came out we didn't draw the either species conversion. When we put in we selected unit 16 as our secondary unit, so our whitetail muzzleloader tag is good for unit 17 and 16. We would appreciate any help and insight on hunting in either of these units.

unit 17

I hunt unit 2 just north of Unit 17 line. There are allot of walk in area 17 that are really good. I plan to scout some of them when I am up in muzzleloader season this year. I figure one year I will not draw for unit 2 and I can always get leftover tags in unit 18 or 16 so I can hunt unit 17 since it adjoins them. Get the walk in map most farmers lease every year with the state and you can start using Google Earth to scout. When the new map comes out in August or early Sept you can make sure the ones you looked at are still available and check any new ones. I have never seen another hunter on a walk in area in early muzzleloader. There are some really good deer in that area. I would look for walk ins that that appear to have CRP or trees. I have found if it has trees it has deer. The deer are on the feed pattern and the bucks are still in groups. You will not have any problems seeing deer of course killing a big one is always another story. If you need more help let me know and I can narrow it down for you. I had a either species tag the first year I went and since have only applied for a whitetail tag. Never saw any good mule deer bucks ,but allot of does. I heard after the crops are cut and the rut kicks its another story ,but I don't hunt that time of year so I save the money.

Last edited:
Wingbone thanks for the great advice. I will get Kansas fish and game to send me the new walk in area map when it comes out. I appreciate the help as it is hard to scout any of the western states when you live in south Texas.

Back