Unit 11 Wyoming cow elk hunt

Mathews90

New member here. Got my first elk hunt planned this year with a cow elk tag in wyoming unit 11. Planning a diy hunt on public ground. Going to be there for a week or so starting on October 1. Was wondering if anyone has any good pointers? Anything helps!

Welcome to HT! Start here:

Randy does a whole series on scouting/hunting elk. Will answer a lot of your basic (and not so basic) questions.

Lots of public, no wilderness. Lots of FS roads throughout so you're not going to be needing to go "deep".
I've hunted in a unit nearby and from what I could see 11 is similar - thick and lots of blowdown. Should be plenty of elk when you find pockets.
Good luck!

If you have a type 6, good luck since most of the public land is off limits, unless you archery hunt in September. If you have a type 4, I would hunt high earlier in the season, but you could probably find elk throughout the whole area in early October. However, the general deer season will be open that same time, so a lot more hunters will be out and about. Honestly, if you do have a type 4 I would go in November.

Also, welcome to HT.

If U have the type 4 tag it should be pretty easy to fill.... Its really thick in there shots will be close get away from the roads still hunt and let other hunters push elk to U.. Dont wait until November to hunt U mite get snowed out... Good luck

If U have the type 4 tag it should be pretty easy to fill.... Its really thick in there shots will be close get away from the roads still hunt and let other hunters push elk to U.. Dont wait until November to hunt U mite get snowed out... Good luck
Plenty of area that isn't thick too, and shots out to a few hundred yards wouldn't be uncommon.

I have a type 4 anterless tag for this season for unit 11. Never had spent any time on the North side of the Snowies until this year. I have looked around the Conical Peak area and the eastern side Wick/Beumee and grass is pretty dry with the weather this year. I haven't had time to get out scouting further North in the unit near Crater Lake & Sand Lake. Would be curious to hear what others have found

Jelm did you get your cow ? Should be some more moving down now later in Oct.

Not yet, Mullen fire evacuation messed up my plans over the past couple weeks. I'll be heading out starting Thursday. How was your September?

Crap, forgot about your fire issues. Hope you find a cow and an easy one at that.
No elk for us but some sightings, was a strange archery season.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back