Underwater Hunting

birdman27

Since it seems like the entire state of California is burning right now (in addition to a horrible heat wave), my wife, some friends, and I decided to escape to the coast on Sunday to do a little diving (SCUBA for most of us, freediving for some others) at Fort Ross. Given that it is hunting season, I of course brought my gun, spear variety (this is very tongue in cheek; you can spearfish year round in CA, as long as you can survive the conditions). Conditions were just about perfect-small swell, slight breeze, 54F at depth, and 20-30' of visibility. I love the selectivity of spearfishing. I dont love the fact that I seem to be getting worse at it! Completely wiffed a shot at a nice ling cod.

First dive at right at an hour long to a max depth of 57'. Besides missing the ling cod, I was able to put an acceptable shot in on a nice cabezon and thus had dinner.
DSCI0428.jpg

Second dive was 42 minutes to 41'. Before the dive, my wife requested I get a rockfish so we could have ceviche. Only took one shot and got myself a vermillion rockfish. I think they think my fins are their siblings...
DSCI0549.jpg
My wife also found a nice scallop on this second dive that I was more than happy to harvest for her. In all a great day in the water and some fresh fish to boot. By only taking a couple of fish we can eat it all fresh (fish has a habit of going in the freezer and being forgotten around here), but also have an excuse to go out and get some more in a few weeks!
20200906_182933_HDR.jpg

And the promised ceviche was had as well.
20200907_155835_HDR.jpg

I love diving, hunting, and fishing. To bring the 3 together like you do is on my bucket list. Congrats on a couple awesome days!

I can't honestly say that the blues taste any different than the standard white-fleshed lings, but they are better. They just are. Looks like you've been having fun birdman.

Good for you. I began serious diving and underwater hunting in 1957. Giving in up on doctors orders in 20000. Kelp beds off California’s Channel Islands used to be great Hunting grounds for fish, abalone, and lobster.

I can't honestly say that the blues taste any different than the standard white-fleshed lings, but they are better. They just are. Looks like you've been having fun birdman.
Agreed, the blues are better!

I have been enjoying it, but it is no substitution for the mountains. Luckily I am headed that way in two weeks for some mulie hunting. Might be able to squeeze in one more day of diving before then though.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Diving is one of my wife and I's hobbies as well, went to the Caymans back in February, it's Lion Fish hunting down there! Are you guys shore diving?

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Diving is one of my wife and I's hobbies as well, went to the Caymans back in February, it's Lion Fish hunting down there! Are you guys shore diving?
Yes, mostly shore diving up here on the north coast, unless you know someone with a boat. We are hoping to go to Cayman Brac soon...

That’s awesome looks like a blast spear fishing is definitely on my list of things I want to do

@birdman27

Awesome! I'm honestly surprised there aren't more guys on here spearfishing - it's ridiculously fun and addicting! I had a spearfishing trip to the Cortes Bank cancelled this summer due to covid-19 which was a huge bummer.

I'm jealous of your vis and target species - I mostly shot carp in pea soup vis this summer...

@birdman27

Awesome! I'm honestly surprised there aren't more guys on here spearfishing - it's ridiculously fun and addicting! I had a spearfishing trip to the Cortes Bank cancelled this summer due to covid-19 which was a huge bummer.

I'm jealous of your vis and target species - I mostly shot carp in pea soup vis this summer...
Oh, we get pea soup plenty around here. Just got lucky in September with really nice conditions. I am actually looking forward to late October and November. If we can get some good weather, the big lings move in and it can be really great diving.

Someone once asked how I got involved with diving. My wife replied, “ why not it is hunting underwater during the off season. “
Exactly!

Oh, we get pea soup plenty around here. Just got lucky in September with really nice conditions. I am actually looking forward to late October and November. If we can get some good weather, the big lings move in and it can be really great diving.

Exactly!
Do you ever run into halibut? I've been diving MT and WY, but am itching to hunt the kelp forests and reef edges for wsb, calicos, halibut, yellowtail, etc.

Cool to know there are other spearos on HT!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back