Ultimate coyote rig

Bunch of pansies around here.

I use this, good out to about 250 yards.

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,434
Xandsandrock001.jpg

Wow. Top shelf rig there.

You must have some dangerous coyotes in Montana....that looks like something you'd find in the hands of a Navy SEAL.

The second picture is more the traditional "yote gun".

I bet it could tell some stories......

shoots- straight...hunting coyotes is my work...I'm a federal trapper.

Grady...dangerous they are not. Smart they are.... grin!! With that XC its nice to be able to get those hangers at 600 and 700 meters.

For a conventional rifle its hard to beat a swift or 22/250 as they have the edge out to 300 to 350 meters...fast and flat. But beyond that you cant rely on "swag" to consistantly take coyotes. Another advantage to a long range rifle is having the ability to start shooting before they are too close...there is a lot less blast when they are 400 to 500 meters out than when they are 150 to 200. Shooting farther out will get you a lot more standing shots on surviving coyotes. This system also alows me to call down wind as long as I start shooting before they hit the wind line at 400 meters or so.

BREAKS RUNNER...

I have a new HERO...post some of those pictures that are tacked to the wall behind the SAKO!

Breaks Runner-I so much want to hold that gun and blast a coyote at 400 yards. I also wouldn't mind using the ninja thowing star at 10 yards.

BR- Very nice rigs!! I ran into the local gov. trapper a year or so ago and asked him how many coyotes he'd shot. Said he quite counting after 1000. Do you shoot most of your by calling? I know that he spent considerable time aerial gunning. That sounds like a LOT of fun!

Our gov. trappers around here are a wild bunch, had a bunch of fun wrestling a yearling calf (the moo type) with them this summer that had decided to step into a grizzly snare. I have no idea why the grizzly didn't make easy pickings out of it overnight.

Couple good looking rigs there, one for the long range work and one for walking.

Breaksrunner,
Will you adopt me? How does one become a govt trapper? :D

BTW I'm no pygmy. I'm taller than mtmiller.

Breaks Runner Im envious, sounds like a great job. And that is some killer equipment. Have you messed with the stiller predator at all thats what my next one will be built off.

BR, could you explain more about your shooting, out beyond 400 yards. Please explain why you shoot the larger calibers, and any more tips you have for us beginers in the varmiting world.
Thank you.

Breaks, what's a 6XC?

Can you break your rifle down a bit more to those of us who just buy a rifle out of the box, slap a scope on it and just start whacking critters (e.g. what's the two side dials on the scope)?

How much you got into that rig?

I use a Mini-14 with a 1.5-5X scope most of the time, a Kimber .22-250 Varmint rifle for open country and a Rem 1100 mag with 3-inch BBs for limited range set ups. (I'd prefer an AR to the Mini, but they are just too hard to deal with here and my Mini gives me inch and a half groups at 100 yards, which is minute of yote.) Naturally, I don't carry all three at each stand - the country I am hunting dictates which I use.

I have an FX-3, a quiver critter and a yote decoy, also depending on the set up.

Breaks, what's a 6XC?

Can you break your rifle down a bit more to those of us who just buy a rifle out of the box, slap a scope on it and just start whacking critters (e.g. what's the two side dials on the scope)?

How much you got into that rig?

6XC is a 22/250 necked up to .243....
Surgeon 591 action
Bartlein barrel, 27" MTU contour, 1-7.5" twist, 5R
Mcmillan A5 stock
Badger M5 bottom metal (AI mags)
Near 34MM rings
Schmidt&Bender 4-16X50 PMII gen II reticle, mil/mil

The side dials are for parallax and windage adjustment.

About 8 grand for the whole set-up......

sakosw001.jpg

smalls, We dont talk about that.....grin!

This is my old stand by....Sako L579 in .220 Swift Improved. 10X Schmidt & Bender(fixed) Thats a # 6 Lilja barrel 1-14". It's been re-barreled eight times. It has 1800+ coyotes to its credit. I bought it new in 1978.

Leave it to a flatlander to use a 1/14 on a 220AI.....!

I shoot a .243 Mauser action with a synthetic stock, I built this 20 years ago and it's still accurate to 300 yards. That's all I need here in Az. I have been going out with a bow lately. Haven't scored yet but I have got close enough to draw on them, just haven't had a clear shot.. PSE X-Force with Carbon Express Hunter arrows...

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back