Ukraine / Russia

So much to unpack.

So, you care when nations "laugh at us" over bathroom genders, but do you care when they laugh much more at the buffoonery of "stolen votes"?

No real DC policies in the last 14 months have affected energy production - that has mostly been supply and demand driven. You ignore that we already can make enough of the light crudes to be energy independent for their uses but still need heavy grades to feed other industrial needs.

You ignore the last few administration's turn away from Europe that has emboldened Putin.

That his political spies have entranced nationalistically minded conservatives in every major democracy (just look at all the ones in Europe and the US that are still rooting him on). These would be things worth adding to your concerns more than bathrooms and fracking.

I agree we have never been more divided in the last 150 years, but it is not the politicians to blame - it is us. We have the government we asked for. We feed the news channels' coffers by tuning in to listen to their drivel. We vote for scoundrels because we are afraid of the "other". We turn our back on immigration even though we are a nation of immigrants and they are the reason we still have sufficient population growth to be a viable economy in 20 years.

But I do share your hope that God will save us from ourselves.

Three problems. One is that nuclear brinksmanship theory says that other nuke powers are incented to strike before it is finished rather than risk facing a nuclear opponent while themselves being effectively disarmed. The second is that even a 99% success rate against 6,000 warheads still results in nuclear holocaust. The third is that it is nearly impossible to protect broad continent against submarine launched missiles that can pop up just about anywhere.
So what you're saying is it's the end of the world if this becomes a nuclear war. I think we all kind of figure if it turns to this, history won't matter because there will be no one left to write this into history. I'm no scientist, but I have to believe that having 6000 nuclear weapons hit earth anywhere on the globe, the affects to the planet will mean extinction for every living creature on the planet. But we can hope that clearer heads prevail and when push comes to shove, no one is willing to be the cause of it.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know if this has already been brought up- but the entire Ukraine/Russia war is all over a natural gas pipeline, which the media is mostly not talking about. And much of the blame for all this should actually be on the United States. I've only found a couple of sources on Youtube where you can get the actual truth of why this is happening- one is Jimmy Dore, and the other Kim Iversen. Don't bother listening to any mainstream media, it's nothing but propaganda. Here's one video to watch:
Yes!!! Because Russia has never used American social media to influence and spread falsehood throughout the U.S.

Great idea. Let’s listen to to some crack pot with a webcam!

So much to unpack.

. . .

I agree we have never been more divided in the last 150 years, but it is not the politicians to blame - it is us. We have the government we asked for. We feed the news channels' coffers by tuning in to listen to their drivel. We vote for scoundrels because we are afraid of the "other". We turn our back on immigration even though we are a nation of immigrants and they are the reason we still have sufficient population growth to be a viable economy in 20 years.

But I do share your hope that God will save us from ourselves.
I have to admit, I wonder how much this is true. From what I can tell, viewership numbers are down significantly nearly across the board but they are as busy as ever. I've wondered how many are running deep into the red at this point and who is keeping them afloat.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else think we may the technology to blow a nuke out of the sky before it does real damage? That doesn't seem out of reach given the technology of the day.
I believe we do.

I also don't think anyone including Putin wants that. I believe he is counting on nobody coming to the aid of Ukraine and a World Economic crisis. I think that with the division in the US and Canada he is counting on North America to implode by our own inability to get along. Heck we burn down city's, want to fight people who have different views, we have "Pro Athletes, "Movie Stars", and Billionaire Elites influencing our children, citizens, and government.
That is what bothers me more than nuke our own division in a potentially terrible crisis.

I have to admit, I wonder how much this is true. From what I can tell, viewership numbers are down significantly nearly across the board but they are as busy as ever. I've wondered how many are running deep into the red at this point and who is keeping them afloat.
Certainly numbers down from the heyday of 2017ish, but they will keep pushing buttons to get what they can. And I don’t mean just big cable channels - the bloggers and influencers are playing the game too. It is disgusting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back