Ukraine / Russia

Has anyone read anything regarding what the US is doing on a cyber front?

Not exactly my preferred source, but maybe it's something.

Recent NATO news:

I hear ya. It could go south very quick, there is no doubt about that. Putin would have to be insane/suicidal go after a nato nation. It is possible he could be both at this point unfortunately. That is why it is important we don’t overplay our hand, the jets for example.
My thought is the more things go south for Putin in Ukraine the more likely things go south for the rest of the world. When you feel cornered or your back is against the wall sometimes “crazy” or “insane” is a little less so right?

Inspiring to see the humanity of Poland, and the Polish people, extending an open hand to their neighbors, taking over a million refugees from Ukraine.

Americans could learn a lot from this.

Collectively, however, I doubt we will.

We can’t stand ourselves, much less our neighbors.

Inspiring to see the humanity of Poland, and the Polish people, extending an open hand to their neighbors, taking over a million refugees from Ukraine.

Americans could learn a lot from this.

Collectively, however, I doubt we will.

We can’t stand ourselves, much less our neighbors.
I don’t agree with this - I think if you turn off social media and the news and you interact with a wide variety of Americans, I think we are still a solid Country that cares about each other and the world. I think it’s very easy to jump on the fringe bandwagon on either side, if you consume social media or the news, and have a skewed view of reality. When I talk to “average” Americans across the Country, most are somewhere near the center. I still have faith in this Country to rise to meet challenges and adversity when we need to. History might prove me wrong, but I don’t think I am.

I don’t agree with this - I think if you turn off social media and the news and you interact with a wide variety of Americans, I think we are still a solid Country that cares about each other and the world. I think it’s very easy to jump on the fringe bandwagon on either side, if you consume social media or the news, and have a skewed view of reality. When I talk to “average” Americans across the Country, most are somewhere near the center. I still have faith in this Country to rise to meet challenges and adversity when we need to. History might prove me wrong, but I don’t think I am.
HT is the only social media I ingest.

I’m talking about conversations with co-workers, neighbors, strangers, and friends.

Hatred and divisive comments come up, even if casual, pretty often. Even a quick lunch is rarely absent of a comment about Liberals, Trumpers, traitors, secession, conspiracies.

Even after 9/11…..it seems like we were “United” for about 4 days

Facts say otherwise. I mean have you followed immigration policy in the last 40 years?

HT is the only social media I ingest.

I’m talking about conversations with co-workers, neighbors, strangers, and friends.

Hatred and divisive comments come up, even if casual, pretty often. Even a quick lunch is rarely absent of a comment about Liberals, Trumpers, traitors, secession, conspiracies.

Even after 9/11…..it seems like we were “United” for about 4 days
I don’t disagree that if you talk to someone who watches Fox News, CNN, logs into Facebook throughout the day, then you will run into this viewpoints/ statements. Often these people are the ones who will bring whatever information they were fed the evening before right out at the start of the conversation. At least in my experience, these people are a vocal and outspoken minority. Most of the hundreds of people I interact with throughout the week are tired of those vocal minority. Most people have views near the center, falling on either side but not by a lot. Most folks agree on 85% of things dispute which side they fall on. The media and the crazy fringe people what to give the appearance that everyone is divided and angry, that’s just not what my real world experience supports. Just one persons experience/ opinion.

I don’t disagree that if you talk to someone who watches Fox News, CNN, logs into Facebook throughout the day, then you will run into this viewpoints/ statements. Often these people are the ones who will bring whatever information they were fed the evening before right out at the start of the conversation. At least in my experience, these people are a vocal and outspoken minority. Most of the hundreds of people I interact with throughout the week are tired of those vocal minority. Most people have views near the center, falling on either side but not by a lot. Most folks agree on 85% of things dispute which side they fall on. The media and the crazy fringe people what to give the appearance that everyone is divided and angry, that’s just not what my real world experience supports. Just one persons experience/ opinion.
I live in red county in a recently purple state. I work in a liberal arts department at a nearby university. I interact with the entire spectrum and I think I tend to agree with you.

I still think without the barrier of a digital medium, when people interact with people in real life, they want to like people even when they're different and will try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe we're naive but I don't think so.

Facts say otherwise. I mean have you followed immigration policy in the last 40 years?
I haven’t really, but this link seems to show that we are still a nation that is open to allowing others in (not saying that we don’t have our issues and I’m not as smart as most of you)

Back