Ukraine / Russia

Care to enlighten those of us who don’t?
I am first and foremost a follower of Jesus. I don't follow a religion because religion causes more arguments and wars than just about anything. If you care to research Gog and Magog. Then read the event's in the Bible. I am not saying this is happening now but it sure sets the stage for it and it explains what will happen to Russia one day.
Anyone that wants more than that please PM me because I want to respect the guidelines and rules here on HT.

Just happened to think about this this morning. This article is what I found when I googled "Ukraine a 10s".
Wouldn't It Be Great to Give A-10s to Ukraine? - War Is Boring
The worst part of my gut says that Purim’s initial wave of inept supply convoys and 19 year old kids is a rope-a-dope.

That supply convoy is rich and ready for some A10s or more easily a drone strike, but then he has us and NATO sucked in.

The worst part of my gut says that Purim’s initial wave of inept supply convoys and 19 year old kids is a rope-a-dope.

That supply convoy is rich and ready for some A10s or more easily a drone strike, but then he has us and NATO sucked in.
You are giving them far too much credit. But it doesn't matter as zero chance US/NATO intervenes in time for that convoy to be effected.

...and then we/NATO acquiesce and rebuild Ukraine for him?

Agree.

I would say we are already sucked in, we just don't realize it or we aren't willing to admit it. We're in this, whether we want to be or not. I say we get in it faster to lower the total destruction, deaths, costs, and complication, given it is an eventuality we will be required to face.

Agree.

I would say we are already sucked in, we just don't realize it or we aren't willing to admit it. We're in this, whether we want to be or not. I say we get in it faster to lower the total destruction, deaths, costs, and complication, given it is an eventuality we will be required to face.
What does "get in it" entail? A no fly zone, boots on the ground, etc.? If you think that the US getting involved will cause less destruction then I don't think you're taking Russia's threat of nuclear war seriously. In no way should the US get involved militarily, that will most likely lead to the use of nuclear weapons and then the destruction will be far beyond measurable. The only way I see this ending with the least amount of loss of human life is Russia gets defeated from within or Ukraine falls.

I think the concern is - if we do this, does he push the button? Not saying I disagree, I just think unfortunately this was what his "warning" meant.
Exactly....there are a lot of interesting reads that paint how Russians view this situation and it even though it is horrible and ass backwards to what we think it is helpful.

Hard not to read a lot of the takes out there and see them as wishful thinking. Not necessarily on this thread, but in the press. Has Putin united The West in a way nothing else could? Is NATO the most resolved it has been in decades?

We have a mixed history of getting involved in foreign conflicts. The doesn't necessarily say anything about getting "more involved" in this one, but we are dealing with someone who will become increasingly irrational and desperate the longer his plan doesn't pan out. Though in recent history congress has largely abdicated its role in the violence we use abroad, this is not a decision one man or woman should make. It should be out in the open and a discussion in congress.

I don't know what to do, but from a perspective that doesn't include the current suffering and extinction of Ukraine and her people, Russia hasn't been this weak in decades.

Nukes are the concern. Carl Sagan wrote,

“The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.”​

If someone holding the match in the same pool of gasoline as you is digging their own grave at the expense of the innocent, do you go for it? Will it matter to the innocent? They are in the pool too. Can you get to the grave digger before the match falls? Will they light it? If a net-reduction in human suffering is the goal, Nukes twist the game theory into nothing but questionable choices. It's hard to stomach, but seems true.

Or, ideally, Putin gets whacked
The whole world can't live forever with a psychopath doing whatever the f he pleases because if anyone stands up to him he threatens nukes.

I mean, at some point might he get tired of economic sanctions and threaten nukes?

At some point someone is gonna have to call his bluff.

Or take him out. But then what?

I think I'd rather go back to worrying about covid

Big Fin is right. What should have happened when Russia crossed the line. He should have met with an overwhelming force of destruction. Now he has made his move. Sanctions and "Talks" don't work with a Power Hungry Dictator.
Unfortunately (I pray that I am wrong) he is taking over Ukraine and I believe there will be some others that join him. This is not going to be pretty and I believe our hand has been called and there is no ace up our sleeve.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back