Ukraine / Russia

I believe he would like to, having the capability to do so is a whole other story.

He jumped early, but in 5-10 more years of spending German energy dollars on his military who knows. Plus his strategy has always been to be just dangerous enough to discourage German and French appetite for a fight, while sowing disaffection in the US - actually seems to be going somewhat to plan.

He jumped early, but in 5-10 more years of spending German energy dollars on his military who knows. Plus his strategy has always been to be just dangerous enough to discourage German and French appetite for a fight, while sowing disaffection in the US - actually seems to be going somewhat to plan.
He is almost 70 and has plenty of time, 20+ years in power to amass a big enough war chest, and this is it. Come on! His attack on Ukraine has WWII vibe to it.

Well yeah. That is the only ace he has, and it would be suicide. You answered but dodged the question. So I will ask again.
After seeing their military capability in Ukraine do you see them as a military superpower?
What’s your definition of military super power?

Given outcomes in Afghanistan and Iraq is the United States?

What does superpower mean now?

If the definition is destroy another nation, defeat their military, destroy their infrastructure, cause mass migration out of the country, etc without incurring damage or at least minimal damage within their own boarders then absolutely.

If it means take over, and hold like Germany in WWII I’m not sure if there is a super power in the world.

What’s your definition of military super power?

Give outcomes in Afghanistan and Iraq is the United States?

What does superpower mean now?

If the definition is destroy another nation, defeat their military, destroy their infrastructure, cause mass migration out of the country, etc without incurring damage or at least minimal damage within their own boarders then absolutely.

If it means take over, and hold like Germany in WWII I’m not sure if there is a super power in the world.

We struggle at nation building. We shouldn’t do it, but we continue to try.

While I had logged off on this, the proof of the pudding will be if NATO countries pony up their pledged commitment to defense spending. If they do, they agree Russia is a threat to them. If not, they don't, although I am sure they don't mind US taxpayers funding a proxy war on their behalf. So, we'll see. If they do, maybe we continue to fund. If not, IMHO, not another red cent. Not that that will restrict the ever-hungry war machine in Congress. You would think 20 years would be enough.

You can make fun on Muledeerchaser all you want, but this is spot on “This war will destroy Ukraine, cripple Russia and destroy the value of the US dollar as we print more money to support Ukraine.”
We do our best to try and destroy the value of the dollar and it just gets more valuable. Kind of like Tesla stock.😉

We do our best to try and destroy the value of the dollar and it just gets more valuable. Kind of like Tesla stock.😉
The ruble closed at the highest level in five years against the euro as more European companies appeared to be complying with Vladimir Putin’s demand that they switch to paying in Russia’s currency for natural gas.😉

The rouble has firmed about 30% against the dollar this year despite a full-scale economic crisis in Russia, making it the world's best-performing currency

We do our best to try and destroy the value of the rouble and it just gets more valuable. Kind of like Tesla stock.😉

Last edited:
The ruble closed at the highest level in five years against the euro as more European companies appeared to be complying with Vladimir Putin’s demand that they switch to paying in Russia’s currency for natural gas.😉

The rouble has firmed about 30% against the dollar this year despite a full-scale economic crisis in Russia, making it the world's best-performing currency

We do our best to try and destroy the value of the rouble and it just gets more valuable. Kind of like Tesla stock.😉
Not to interrupt a good rant with economics, but monetary strength actually hurts export-dependent countries (like Russia). This is why China refuses to let the Yuan float.

The sanctions regime was not designed to raise or lower the ruble, it was designed to make doing business in Russia sufficiently difficult that internal stakeholders would feel the pain and that it would make upgrading their military more difficult. I am not a big fan of sanctions, but let's at least judge them against their goals, not against some self-selected parameter.

And Hitler was a goofy Austrian corporal until he wasn’t.

Putin in his owns words has repeatedly committed to restore the full boundaries of the former Soviet Union. Should we believe him or you as to his intentions?
I better question to ask is do the Europeans believe he is committed to that. Looking at the level of support that is be given by the countries that would most impacted it does not appear that they believe that.

It would appear that the Germans are still funding the Russian military

This is a European problem, and they really don't seem that interested/invested in fixing it, because they knew that we would pony up the bucks to pay for the resistance. Trump was right in telling them that they needed to start paying their fair share, should have been said long before that.

I better question to ask is do the Europeans believe he is committed to that. Looking at the level of support that is be given by the countries that would most impacted it does not appear that they believe that.

On a normalized basis it doesn't seem so off. Of course Germany is the notable exception - but Europe is more than just Germany. From your link:

1654715934695.png

1654715961653.png

It would appear that the Germans are still funding the Russian military

This is a European problem, and they really don't seem that interested/invested in fixing it, because they knew that we would pony up the bucks to pay for the resistance. Trump was right in telling them that they needed to start paying their fair share, should have been said long before that.
They have no choice in the short term. Just like our "tough on China" policy ended up increasing imports from China. It will take a decade or more for NATO(incl. US) to pull back from hostage status with Putin/Xi. But I doubt our spoiled domestic consumers will ever let that happen, because $500 60" HDTVs have become our birthright. We are addicted to cheap stuff and internationally supported currency.

A grade school-level game of gotcha always works from the peanut gallery. But what are the alternatives? Letting Putin/Xi run the world? How do you think that would work for America? How does Biden avoid being the next Chamberlain? How do we project our economic interests? How do we protect our single greatest national asset - the dollar as the global reserve currency? Open to sophisticated ideas from the peanut gallery - just saying no to everything doesn't work - Just retreating into our own shell will not work.

As for the whole isolationist narrative, it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the value of maintaining enough influence to be the reserve currency. This is worth trillions per year to our economy. It allows us to inflate our currency to absurd levels without becoming Venezuela or Greece. It allows us to have a huge military and huge (yet only marginally effective) social programs all while handing out tax refunds/breaks every 5 or 6 years. Neither left nor right wants to live in a world where the dollar is not the reserve currency - but this does not come free. Again, open to sophisticated monetary policy suggestions that generate a soft landing for our economy in a world we retreat from it and lose reserve currency status.

We struggle at nation building. We shouldn’t do it, but we continue to try.
The Marshall Plan was the template we have used for the last 75 years. That worked very well for Europe, and for the US. It made us the Superpower we are. I do agree that the same philosophy broadly applied since hasn’t worked out too well. That probably comes from politicians not being the brightest kittens in the litter and being very focused on satisfying the complainers rather than understanding and solving problems.

That is a big”if” that didn’t happen.
After seeing their military capability in Ukraine do you see them as a military superpower?

Of course they are.

They are struggling in Ukraine, sure. Idk if you noticed Afghanistan for the last 20 years, we struggled. Ukraine is fighting very much like what we faced in Afghanistan.

War is war and at the end of the day its one man with a gun against another man with a gun. Some have bigger guns, Some have bombs. Shits hard.

What you are failing to take into account is Russia has what some would call an X Factor. Thats called nuclear warheads. Yea dude they have a military superpower.

The Marshall Plan was the template we have used for the last 75 years. That worked very well for Europe, and for the US. It made us the Superpower we are. I do agree that the same philosophy broadly applied since hasn’t worked out too well. That probably comes from politicians not being the brightest kittens in the litter and being very focused on satisfying the complainers rather than understanding and solving problems.
I think we’ve officially talked ourselves in a circle can I believe this was covered 100 pages ago, yes it worked great in World War II, it hasn’t worked great since then.

Of course they are.

They are struggling in Ukraine, sure. Idk if you noticed Afghanistan for the last 20 years, we struggled. Ukraine is fighting very much like what we faced in Afghanistan.

War is war and at the end of the day its one man with a gun against another man with a gun. Some have bigger guns, Some have bombs. Shits hard.

What you are failing to take into account is Russia has what some would call an X Factor. Thats called nuclear warheads. Yea dude they have a military superpower.
We took Afghanistan very quickly the bullshit nation building that we did for the next 19 1/2 years was a time and money suck. They don’t calll Afghanistan the graveyard of Empire‘s for nothing.
Putin is not suicidal he is not launching nukes over Ukraine.

I think we’ve officially talked ourselves in a circle can I believe this was covered 100 pages ago, yes it worked great in World War II, it hasn’t worked great since then.
The difference seems to be projecting a plan that is socially, economically, and politically consistent for a large portion of people within a devastated country(ies) and projecting an entirely different set of values that don't naturally fit with much of the target population and doing so over a very short span of time. We have not yet found the intelligence to do the latter well or the humility to stop trying to in the face of repeated failure.

The difference seems to be projecting a plan that is socially, economically, and politically consistent for a large portion of people within a devastated country(ies) and projecting an entirely different set of values that don't naturally fit with much of the target population and doing so over a very short span of time. We have not yet found the intelligence to do the latter well or the humility to stop trying to in the face of repeated failure.
An argument was made that it doesn’t work well when dealing with what are essentially civil wars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back