Ukraine / Russia

Looking at those lining up against him I'm wishing him well for the next 6 years. I mean you can lead from a death bed right?
Sorry. There's no way he cognitively makes it 6 years. That would mean the president isn't the president, but a figurehead.

LOL as opposed to...?
I don't think this is a 2024 thread, rather a Ukraine thread, but if we don't have a better choice than a senile octogenarian, God help us. On either side. Admittedly, Trump and Hillary seem pretty cogent now, but that could change in the proverbial heartbeat. For the Rs, clearly Trump policies without Trump (a la VA), for Ds, who knows? Moderate Ds seem pretty rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is a 2024 thread, rather a Ukraine thread, but if we don't have a better choice than a senile octogenarian, God help us. On either side. Admittedly, Trump and Hillary seem pretty cogent now, but that could change in the proverbial heartbeat. For the Rs, clearly Trump policies without Trump (a la VA), for Ds, who knows? Moderate Ds seem pretty rare.
Of names we know I'd vote Amy Klobuchar (B) or Charlie Baker (R) over either Trump or Biden.

You got that right! One bungled offhand remark in two years. The last president couldn't make it through the day every single day without shoving his foot in his mouth (or keyboard) at least once. I shudder to think what a terrible mess he would have made of this crisis. Half the world would be incinerated by now and the rest would be glowing in the dark for the next 20K years.
Strongly disagree.

Beginning after tomorrow the EU will be required to pay in rubles or supposedly gold for their energy. It is going to get very dicey

Beginning after tomorrow the EU will be required to pay in rubles or supposedly gold for their energy. It is going to get very dicey
Russian Roulette.

"Still, there are some banks that haven't been cut off, and for now, sanctions imposed by the U.S. Treasury barring bank transactions contain exceptions for energy payments. That's a concession to European allies that are much more reliant on Russian oil and gas and fear a total cutoff could throw their economy into recession."

View attachment 217451
Hope?

For what I read, a lot of Ukraine forces are in the East because they were fighting the Russian-aligned insurgents before the invasion. Russia is looking to cut them off from supply lines from Western Ukraine. The cease fire might help Russia more than Ukraine by allowing Russia to reposition some troops further into Ukraine without the threat of attacks.

Back