Ugly People Get Paid LESS MONEY :O

WH's OutdoorsChick

Studies show attractive students get more attention and higher evaluations from their teachers, good-looking patients get more personalized care from their doctors, and handsome criminals receive lighter sentences than less attractive convicts. But how much do looks matter at work?

The ugly truth, according to economics professors Daniel Hamermesh of the University of Texas and Jeff Biddle of Michigan State University, is that plain people earn 5 to 10 percent less than people of average looks, who in turn earn 3 to 8 percent less than those deemed good-looking.

These findings concur with other research that shows the penalty for being homely exceeds the premium for beauty and that, across all occupations, the effects are greater for men than women.

A London Guildhall University survey of 11,000 33-year-olds found that unattractive men earned 15 percent less than those deemed attractive, while plain women earned 11 percent less than their prettier counterparts. In their report "Beauty, Productivity and Discrimination: Lawyers', Looks and Lucre," Hamermesh and Biddle found that the probability of a male attorney attaining early partnership directly correlates with how handsome he is.

Size matters, too. A study released last year by two professors at the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina found that tall people earn considerably more money throughout their careers than their shorter coworkers, with each inch adding about $789 a year in pay.

A survey of male graduates of the University of Pittsburgh found that the tallest students' average starting salary was 12 percent higher than their shorter colleagues'. The London Guildhall study showed that overweight women are more likely to be unemployed, and that those who are working earn on average five percent less than their trimmer peers.

According to Dr. Gordon Patzer, who has spent over three decades studying and writing about physical attractiveness, human beings are hard-wired to respond more favorably to attractive people. Even studies of babies show they will look more intently and longer at prettier faces.

"Good-looking men and women are generally judged to be more talented, kind, honest and intelligent than their less attractive counterparts," says Patzer. "Controlled studies show people go out of their way to help attractive people - of the same and opposite sex - because they want to be liked and accepted by good-looking people."

advertisement Long-Sleeve Checked Poplin Shirt
From $39.50
Eddie Bauer

More Men's Casual Button-Down Shirts
▪ Brand; Tank Dress with 1-Button Jacket by Slinky from HSN.com Sale $12.09

▪ Durable Work Jeans-32in from Timberland® $44.99

This may not sound too pretty to those of us who were dealt a bad hand in the looks department. But don't rush off to try out for the next round of Extreme Makeover just yet.

Despite what the research tells us, some of the world's most successful people have been ordinary looking at best, and you would never mistake the faces in Fortune for the faces in Esquire or Entertainment Weekly. Business legends are often of average height (Bill Gates at 5'9½") or even diminutive (Jack Welch, 5'8", and Ross Perot at 5'7"). What's more, many folks who are lovely to look at complain that they lose out on jobs because people assume they are vacuous or "lightweights."

How does this reconcile with all the research? Hiring managers say it is the appearance of confidence they find attractive, not the presence of physical beauty. And they contend that attractiveness has more to do with how you carry yourself and the energy you exude – rather than having perfect features or a great physique.

According to Gordon Wainright author of Teach Yourself Body Language, anyone can increase their attractiveness to others if they maintain good eye contact, act upbeat, dress well (with a dash of color to their wardrobe), and listen well. Wainright also stresses the importance of posture and bearing and suggests that for one week you stand straight, tuck in your stomach, hold your head high, and smile at those you meet. Based on many such experiments, Wainwright predicts you will begin to be treated with more warmth and respect and start attracting more people to you.

At first I read the first sentence as pretty people get better grades. I KNOW that isn't true. I was a great student. ;) That's not what it says though. Just that they get noticed more by teachers. That I might believe.

Geese no wonder I make good money in Washington compared to what I made in Cali...Guess Washingtonians are uglier :p

hump OK I know that one is going to hurt... :cool:

Although I don't see as many HOT guys here in Olympia .....hhhhhmmmmmmmm and it is cheaper to live here..hey I think I see a pattern :D

I know that we good looking people pay out good money to work in this state hump More if you work FOR the state :D

Hunterman(Tony)

Maybe it's the Hooter's waitresses that skew the average female wage in favor of the attractive. Must be their posture and air of confidence, couldn't say concerning the eye contact.

wow kinda wrong to pay more to prettier i mean really isnt surprise this world never get less greedy anyway i mean in tv they have have it so perverted kids cartoons not much better also violence in evrything or drugs all bad stuff is so popular that good get left out weather it money or friends or anything but anyway good find thanks

Yep us good looking ones get paid more , much more and we deserve it because its us that have took at your ugly mugs all day :D :D

I think looks in the workplace cuts both ways. In a large company or field where employees tend to be "numbers" the good looking tend to stand out whereas in smaller more dynamic fields where performance matter most exceptional looks can be a disadvantage. I think the real bias is that good looking people are more likely to get that foot-in-the-door opportunity to excell.

I know my expectations of really good looking people are low because cute and blond equals like dumb, or something, ya know?

thnaks erick lol umm well i know what they sayin yes if ur good lookin u draw customers thats some of main reasons they hire lookers only prob is half time well i nevr had really deal with it i mean my job was receptionist dress nice look good but not to draw in men just good look for job as diateryaid no nursing hme less u wanna draw in old men lol suckiest i know alot of us had do this job cmdonalds yeah like workin in hell yes i dealt with about evrything but didnt pay me enough to look good or anything i otld guy off then quit

Hi Amie,,,Yep,,,I've been a state employee for the past 18 years...I work for the Dept. of Social and Health Services,,out at Western State Hospital hump

Hunterman(Tony)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back