Caribou Gear Tarp

Two way radio/ GPS

BR-549

I have read through some of the threads on GPS units and now I think I would like to upgrade mine. It is only 4 years old but a basic unit that is not map capable. I would like to be able to get the OnXmaps system as well because next year I will be hunting OTC units that I am not familiar with.

I also need a new 2 way for communication with my buds in the national forest. We use them around home too for WT hunting.

I have always liked the idea of a duel purpose unit such as a Garmin Rhino. Have read good and bad reviews about them, but I would really like to hear from you guys.

My struggle is do I buy a good GPS and a cheap radio or is the combo unit worth looking into?

I have a rino 610, which is a combo radio and GPS. I don't like it that much but I'm not sure if there is anything "all in one" that is better.
Cons:
1) The screen is too small and low resolution so it is frustrating to see and use the maps. The small size of the screen prevents you from zooming out enough to see the bigger picture.
2) It also has the annoying feature of dropping a pin on the screen whenever you are scrolling the map and touch the screen slightly too hard.
3) The cursor is too big and obscures your position.
4) The batteries make it way too big. You can't comfortably put it in your pocket and if you put it in the pack it is a pain to use.
5) By today's standard the interface is cumbersome.
6) I often can't figure out which direction I'm heading when trying to navigate because the screen jumps all over. It is way harder to use than the onxmaps on an iPhone.

Pros
1) Being able to see where your friends are with the polling feature is extremely useful - almost pays for itself. To use this feature you don't have good resolution to navigate to them.
2) It has more power than the rino 120 (5W?) which allows to poll your friends better than the 120.

The high screen resolution on my iPhone makes it very easy to use onxmaps. For whatever reason I find it way easier to navigate. The 610 is junk by comparison. Of course the downside with the iPhone is you can't communicate unless you are within cell range, and it has short battery life.

If you are going to spend the bucks for a combo unit make sure it has a big, high-resolution screen or you'll be using a separate gps anyway. I think I'd keep them separate if I had to do it over again but maybe there is new technology. I'm looking forward to hearing other experiences.

Last edited:
x2 on what Rob said, I have a couple of older 520 Rino units. Maybe they have a newer model that has improved the screen issues, if they did and if the radio improved as well then they would be great units to carry. The radios don't seem to work as good as a dedicated 2 way radio. Even with their downfalls I still use mine just because I like the 'one unit' idea. I've came close to buying a different GPS, but they're good enough that I keep using mine.

Both of your experinces reflect the negative reviews on cabelas.
I was looking at the Rhino 650 which is on sale for $349 I think.

The cons you describe are exactly my fears and I think I'll pass.

I have an iPhone 5 but where I hunt it rarely has service so communication is out.

Think I'll keep my old one and just buy a reliable two way.

Thank you for your help fellas.

Both of your experinces reflect the negative reviews on cabelas.
I was looking at the Rhino 650 which is on sale for $349 I think.

The cons you describe are exactly my fears and I think I'll pass.

I have an iPhone 5 but where I hunt it rarely has service so communication is out.
Don't forget you can download the onmaps onto your phone and use the gps even when out of cell range.

Don't forget you can download the onmaps onto your phone and use the gps even when out of cell range.

I just used this for 8 days in Idaho. It worked great.

I did have a glitch with onX but as soon as I got home an update for it was out and was supposed to solve the issue.

I used onXmaps on and off for 8 days and only had to charge my phone once. It even works in airplane mode!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back