Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Two shooters/hunters and one deer

commando668

I'm going hunting on public area tomorrow and there should be a good number of other hunters.
I was wondering if I shoot a deer that keeps running and then is shot by someone else, whose deer is it?
Is there a rule of thumb?

Paper Rock Scissor.

I am guessing states are different. It also depends on the shot. If you gut shoot it and another hunter shoots it I would say its up to him.

If you drill it in the lungs and it runs 100 yards over to another guy and he puts a bullet in it to finish it I would argue all day it is your deer. I try to stay out of this type of situation, we have seen fights over this tuff. My grandpa once flipped a coin with a guy it was a good shot. The deer basically fell over by the guy, he claims he shot it to put it down. I don't need a deer that bad to argue over it.

When I was 18 I shot my first big buck on crowded WI public land. He dropped in his tracks it was a 130 ish shot. I packed up and ran down there, I got about 50 yards from him and he lifted his head. I used a tree as a rest and finished him off. I am 100% sure the first shot was lethal but I wasn't taking any chance the deer was going to run over the hill to the next guy. I gutted him and I was dragging him out and sure enough there was a guy over the first hill. He was nice and helped me drag it half way to the truck.

Having grown up in PA...My advice is if your hunting public land is to aim for the shoulder and keep shooting until the deer is dead.

If you shoot a deer and another hunter shoots it after you do then be prepared for an altercation if you push the issue.

Most hunters are scoundrels over big buck fever from my experiences in the woods.....

A mate of mine did a guided elk hunt in Montana and while he was there another aussie hunter in camp shot a really nice 6x6 bull across the gully. They had to go all the way down then back up to get to it and when they arrived found a couple of hunters tagging it. According to the outfitter this wasn't illegal. In Aus if you tried that on someone's deer you'd come off second best! The guy ended up shooting another bull albeit not as nice.

To this day I find it hard to believe someone calling themselves a hunter would do something like that. Or why you would want to.

Having grown up in PA...My advice is if your hunting public land is to aim for the shoulder and keep shooting until the deer is dead.

If you shoot a deer and another hunter shoots it after you do then be prepared for an altercation if you push the issue.

Most hunters are scoundrels over big buck fever from my experiences in the woods.....

My shot strategy morphs from private and wilderness vs public high density. I aim for the upper front shoulders if other hunters are around me. On private and wilderness I aim for the lower crease zone behind the shoulders as less meat is at risk. I have had crease-shot critters go hundreds of yards depending on if only one lung or if a low lung punch. Usually, they tip over in 100 yards or less. This year both bull elk hunts were shot in the crease and had the elk taking less than three steps prior to being down on the ground. Better than expected but possible with a crease shot. I have never had critters hit in the upper shoulder run off.

Every and I mean EVERY animal I ever shot in the upper shoulder with my 30-06 went straight to the dirt. No exceptions. It breaks their spine.

I'm going hunting on public area tomorrow and there should be a good number of other hunters.
I was wondering if I shoot a deer that keeps running and then is shot by someone else, whose deer is it?
Is there a rule of thumb?
There very reason I avoid pumpkin patches... At least one of the top reasons.

If someone beats you too it, shoot it in the ass, and see if they'll let you have last blood,. If not... shoot an antler off, and ask again. :D

Neck/high shoulder shot, and fast bullets. Bang flop em. Good luck!

I'll go talk to em Ivan, you stay in the truck.

If someone beats you too it, shoot it in the ass, and see if they'll let you have last blood,. If not... shoot an antler off, and ask again. :D

Neck/high shoulder shot, and fast bullets. Bang flop em. Good luck!
I wish you would try this for real.

Back