PEAX Equipment

Two quick spot & stalk questions

Hunt&FishCO

I was out hunting WY on Sunday for the archery opener. Had 4 stalks - but ran into two issues.

1. Popping up to “peek” over an obstruction (<100yds). Bucks would not stick around long and/or stay in range. I wear a camo face mask during stalks FWIW

2. Getting an accurate range (grass foreground). If I stood up they would likely bump out of range

The bucks got really spooky when I slooooowly peeked over the obstruction (rock, bush, grass) to get a range. Being it’s not the rut and I’m going after bucks - would it be worth having a decoy? Any help would be great.

2C9D9C41-A085-4B3F-A021-86E9057340E4.jpeg

Why not hunt over SPUD sights insted of Stalk and Hunt. (Scratch, Paw, Urinate, Deficate) I used to live in Wyoming,,,succssfully hunted lots of Antelope,,,with rifle,,,but,,,hunting over SPUD sites gets one real clos, as close as you want actually

Just before season I would observe behavior,,,pretty easy to identify SPUD sight behavior and activity. Then actutlly locate a few, pick one,,get there before dawn,,,make sure wind direction is optimum,,,then wait and when bucks make the rounds shoot one.

Wait to draw till their head is down sniffing,,,they can't see much of anything then.

how long are you going to be there, What zone are you hunting. Curiousity and interest in SPUD sites begins early even before rut really takes off hard

Try and wait till they bed, then sneak up from behind, or from a spot hidden from them as they lay down. Face paint ain't gonna fool an antelope

I was out hunting WY on Sunday for the archery opener. Had 4 stalks - but ran into two issues.

1. Popping up to “peek” over an obstruction (<100yds). Bucks would not stick around long and/or stay in range. I wear a camo face mask during stalks FWIW

2. Getting an accurate range (grass foreground). If I stood up they would likely bump out of range

The bucks got really spooky when I slooooowly peeked over the obstruction (rock, bush, grass) to get a range. Being it’s not the rut and I’m going after bucks - would it be worth having a decoy? Any help would be great.

View attachment 191661
Ive been having the same issue. Ive got the 38 tag and have blown a few stalks already. Its too early for decoys or flagging. Those are usually best during the rut mid september. Bedding them is difficult as well, they have a 300 degree field of view. From what ive read, lighter colored camo helps ( I have the same under armour as you). We might have to wait until the rut kicks in where we can use decoys/flagging to get a descent buck.

They will see you if you're not completely covered by a big rock, brush, or terrain. It is far better to be in front of them and have them cover the last 40-50 yards. You shouldn't need to range them until they're getting inside 60-80, and just wait til their head is down. The decoy should only be a last resort because it will likely not get them inside 100 yards if they weren't already on their way to you, and 90% of the time it will spook them.

One of my favorite ways to hunt antelope, other than SPUD sites, was to hunt them by canoe. I did this quite a few times when i lived in Wyoming and even later when I came back to visit/hunt.

There reallly are more opportunities to do this than you might think,,,with most not being in wildeness where a guide is needed for a non resident. Often the land is not just federal but also state land.

Antelope get so used to seeing fisherman and canoe/kayakers, in the rivers all summer they have no fear of them.

And to that, often the nearby wetness, can offer a more tasty diet

It is cool to be going down a river, see antelope, pass by, dicth the canoe ,stalk back and shoot one.

The last time I did this they were withing 40 yards of the river bank.

I stopped as soon as out of sight and stalked back right in the river which had enough bushes to cover me, plus I was in the water to my knees. I took one at way under 50 yards with my .270.

Water being low at this time of the year, do not bring a "pet" canoe.

MR

You might give it a bit of time to settle down before you do your peeking. If you are in bow range and moving even if you are out of sight the antelope is going to most likely know something is there and will be looking your way. Going to get busted 100% of the time if an antelope is looking your way and you move at that close.

At least you have seen some, LOL!!! The only 4 I spotted on opening day were along the highway heading home and on non-accessible land but I will be out there Saturday morning again logging in the miles. Good Luck!!!

I decoyed in a pronghorn in from 230 yds to 23 yds in Utah on opening day (aug 17 ?) a few years ago and shot with a bow. I was dubious it could work that eartly til it works perfectly. he had 6 does with him and left to check out my immature buck pronghorn decoy…E2A0E1EC-6085-4BFE-A615-FCB6B380861E.jpeg

Montana decoy immature buck.

Only pop it up when reasonably close within about 200 preferably closer.

very interested to try bow mounted decoy.

I have the Killer Gear Antelope fan decoy. Its kind of like an umbrella pop up. Takes about 1 second to deploy. I'm still new to archery antelope and not as patient as needed. While stalking some antelope last year, I dropped my pack to be able to get closer. Got within 150 yards, deployed the decoy and waited. The antelope didnt seem interested and wandered off. I left my decoy and bow and went back 100 yards for my pack. Turned around and the damn antelope were kicking at the decoy. Rookie mistakes.

1629387075127.png1629387099615.png

I have the Killer Gear Antelope fan decoy. Its kind of like an umbrella pop up. Takes about 1 second to deploy. I'm still new to archery antelope and not as patient as needed. While stalking some antelope last year, I dropped my pack to be able to get closer. Got within 150 yards, deployed the decoy and waited. The antelope didnt seem interested and wandered off. I left my decoy and bow and went back 100 yards for my pack. Turned around and the damn antelope were kicking at the decoy. Rookie mistakes.

View attachment 191803View attachment 191805

That’s my kinda luck!

Update: I ordered a “Predator” decoy that is bow mounted. For the style of hunting I do this seems like the easiest to maneuver and keep my hand free to range. I went with a doe thinking it’d be the least intimidating for spooky animals.

Update: I ordered a “Predator” decoy that is bow mounted. For the style of hunting I do this seems like the easiest to maneuver and keep my hand free to range. I went with a doe thinking it’d be the least intimidating for spooky animals.

The pronghorn I got this morning was with 3 does and starting to rut. He walked right towards me. The small bachelor group that comes into my yard everyday hasnt shown any signs of breaking up the boy band yet. Definitely worth a shot to start deploying the decoy, especially of they are with does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back