PEAX Equipment

Two Firsts

Brian in Montana

Yesterday was the first day of antelope season in Montana. The weather was awful most of the day, snow and rain, and I nearly packed it in at at about noon. I sat on a rocky little point and ate a sandwich feeling wet and cold and irritable, but it finally started to clear up a little. Glad I stayed.

I'd seen quite a few goats in the morning, but there was a veritable mobilization of road hunters pushing them around. At about 3:00, I climbed up high to glass while I ate a snack. I spotted a pair of antelope about a mile and a half away and it looked like they were shielded from the view of a nearby road by a little rise that might also conceal my approach. I went for it. Skulked up the rise and got my range finder on the buck - 468yds. I can ring steel at that distance at the range, but I didn't like the shot on a live critter, so I sneaked down lower, a little further down the ridge and got to within 350. That was getting there, but I could see a little rise in the sage even further down that would be even closer. The buck was bedded down and neither one seemed inclined to go anywhere, so I backed out and made a stalk toward the little rise. This was nasty. I crawled, gobblin-walked, army crawled through rocks, sage, and greasewood. All told the stalk probably took an hour. At one point I army crawled into a patch of cactus - that was unpleasant. Then I got a cramp in the hammy of my left leg and had to get up on a knee and stretch it out. Ultimately, I rose up and ranged that buck at 250. He was still bedded and looking placid as ever. I thought I could cut the distance even more and maybe even take a prone shot if I moved in to a clump of sage about 40 yards away. I didn't quite make that far before I looked up and the doe was looking right at me. The jig was up. I extended my bipod and drew a bead on the buck. The doe's white rump patch was flared and she bounded up the hill a ways past the buck. He got up and stretched, looking at her as if to say, "what are you so upset about". That's when I braced my elbows on my knees and squeezed off the shot with my 7mm-HT. 140 grain Nosler Accubond apparently does bad things to a heart. He dropped. Got up and bounded a few paces and went down for good.

I've killed 3 bucks with my bow sitting at a water hole, but this was the first time I'd stalked into striking distance and shot one with a rifle. It was also the first animal I've killed with ammo I handloaded. I'm completely worn out today, but what a great hunt and a great memory. I haven't actually hunted antelope in several years, and I forget how unique they are and how awesome is the country the live in. I tend to spend so much time chasing elk and deer around in the close timber of the mountains that I forget how breath-taking the high prairie can be and how excellent are the fleet-footed little goats that call it home. Even though my knee hurts and I have still have cactus in my right hand, I can't wait to do it all again.

Attachments

• Antelope 2018 front.jpg
    Antelope 2018 front.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Antelope 2018 Mountain.jpg
    Antelope 2018 Mountain.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 456
Beautiful buck. Always nice to get one with your own handloads. Way to close the gap and get it done.

I am never impressed by some guy's 684 yard shot - who cares.
The belly crawl closing the distance, the cramp, the pricklies, and the souvenirs left under the skin - now that's antelope hunting.
You must have missed the "which gloves for antelope hunting" thread.......:D

Last edited:
Congrats, you’ve spent a lot of time on that rifle and ammo in preparation. Glad to see you got to use it to take such a fine Lope.

Awesome buck. I always like the idea of closing the distance. Anyone can shoot long range, but few are able to close the gap

Congrats! Looks like the handloading effort paid off...only way to fly IMO.

Glad the 7-08 worked out too.

Happy to see you get one. Thats a really good buck for the area.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tfowers
Back