Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Two custom made rifles to hunt the world with

She will be just fine with a 30-06 for those bears. Remember her guide will be carrying a pretty heavy hitter to use if things get out of hand.

I would recommend that she take a photography class and shoot the DG with a camera. That will be more memorable and shareable memories for her heirs than a rifle they probably won’t shoot or have to sell as part of the estate.

I'll agree with the Addicting, and with hunting plains game.

I would not agree with the 243 for the hunting she is planning.
While it may be fine for antelope, deer, and koala, larger game there are better choices.
243 is also pretty limited to 100gr max bullet weight in a hunting rifle. Yes, you can order custom twist barrels, but with added costs, and about only a 5gr gain in weight. (105gr)

From my perspective the 280 Rem would be a much better option.
Less recoil than the 30-06, with heavier bullet weights than the 243, with better BC's than either.

addicting and std7mag--good suggestions, thank you

std7mag, my daughter suggest the 280 A.I., as that is what she uses. Blaser doesn't make a 280 and off the shelf ammo is not as easy to find a s30-06 but an excellent caliber/idea.

Also, the 243 idea, was in the Blaser to have a 30-06 and 243----

thanks guys,

p.s. I forgot "if it gets scratched ? " he had bought her a very nice 30-06 years ago and it looks like a rifle that has hunted--a lot. I am sure she will not let a scratch or two slow her down with the new one--but good point

280AI, indeed would get the job done!
With the added benefit of being able to shoot standard 280 Rem should the need arise.

in ref to the 30-06. As you know I used a 30-06 for several years, before preferring the 348. Wood Bison, White and Brown Bear, Muskox

The 30-06 along with the wide range of weights available for it will be just fine for everything but the Lion. To be honest, although I have never hunted Lion, I bet the 30-06 is enough for Leo as well, he is not a thick skinned animal. Unfortunately it is not legal to use a 30-06 when hunting Lion. As has been suggested, stick to plains game hunting in Africa and use the money it would cost to hunt Lion for more plane tickets to exotic locals, or first class plane tickets on those long flights or more varieties of plain game, and dont get the 375 H & H, just to hunt bears, it is not needed and has been mentioned someone else will be there with her, with a large caliber.

Send her to your friend in Conn. have them build her a 30-06--just for her, to fit her in every way on a pre 64 model 70 action or one of the many clones of that action that are on the market---I am forgetting the name but their is a company in Arizona and in Montana that make good actions------this is not brain surgery :love:

Panda,
The action isn't the issue. I have not heard of a "bad" action.
The issue would be a properly fitted stock.

A properly fitted stock will reduce felt recoil.
Although so would a muzzle brake and or a recoil reducer. Both of which have benefits, and draw backs.
Muzzle brake adding little weight, but extending the length of the barrel.
Recoil reducer is internal to the stock keeping the barrel shorter, but with added weight.
Neither of which will replace proper stock fitment.
There are only 2 manufacturers making stocks that are aimed at fitting weman. The Weatherby Camilla, and Savage Lady Hunter.
Your other options are towards an adjustable setup such as a Boyds AT-One, or a chassis. Or a custom stock maker. Who would fit a stock to you for that barreled action.

I'm not discounting the 30-06 by any means. It is a versatile cartridge.
But having shot both it, and the 280 Rem quite a bit, my pick would be for the 280 Rem. The Ackley Improved even more so.

std7mag, I agree with you 100%

The action comment comes form knowing April and her fondness for CRF actions. "Fit" is something I worked around for years and then thanks to some very nice people, I found out how nice it is to have a stock that fits you and not just LOP, but that also.

April will end up sending her to a custom builder and have the stock made for her, then she will think about the following actions Sako85, Dakota76, Mauser 98, Granite mtn, Defience

and then, she will have it built on a pre 64 Win 70 :)

I never had a 280 so can not comment, but I believe you. I did have a 30-06 and it worked well for several years. So I can only recommend what I know . What I know is the 30-06, 348, and 275 H & H, but ammo for the last two are not in every hardware store I am guessing. I wonder, but do not know if the 280 ammo is as available as the 30-06. I know it is not in this neck of the woods. I do not doubt that it is an effective round, just not familiar with it personally

Panda Bear,
Does your Model 71 have a custom stock on it? That is not a gun that I find particularly well fit for me, but maybe that's why it works for you, or maybe you got it fixed with new wood.

We have not on the Win Brent, but we have on the Browning. The browning is scope friendly also. We have talked about the win but time is our enemy------and speaking of time, I am off, but glad I saw this, good time to again thank you for all your previous guidance and kindness.

good luck April on whatever you decide for her=== I am off for a bit

A lady could do worse than to have a custom built stock/rifle built on a pre 64 Model 70. (-:

Brent, I never liked that rifle/caliber ( 71-348 ) but I did like the Browning BLR rifles

Std7mag--my daughter loves the 280 AI

Addicting, and Panda, I can not disagree with you--photography for sure, spending your money for more plains game instead of Lion --But I will always be glad I had the opportunity to hunt DG, they are an entirely different hunt, even the coastal grizzly hunts dont compare IMHO, but yes the expense has gotten outrageous

Guys, thanks a million, some really good advise was sent our way and it is appreciated. As mentioned earlier she has been all over the map on this project and we aren't done yet. she is thinking about putting something her husband gave her ( a small, zero weight something) in the stock, so that is a consideration. .

Guys, thanks a million, some really good advise was sent our way and it is appreciated. As mentioned earlier she has been all over the map on this project and we aren't done yet. she is thinking about putting something her husband gave her ( a small, zero weight something) in the stock, so that is a consideration. .
You are more than welcome, we can't wait to see a photo of the completed project with you and your friend can we guys?
Cheers
Richard

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back