Two custom made rifles to hunt the world with

To hunt the world I would go with a matching set of rifles one in 7x57 and 375 H&H just for that old world feel.
Nailed it!
Unless it was a Blaser switch barrel set up in which case I'd add a .300 WSM or a .30-06 with heavy for caliber (180-200grain) controlled expansion HP bullets.

Have used a 308.since I was 10yrs. old and it's never failed
to even take down the biggest game. 😎

Ben, you said the 300 wsm is the new 300 H & H, so we went with that and the 375 H & H and got a quote of approx 6000.00 delivered to Arizona. It is the rifle with the stock made for women. The wood is very nice, no engraving.

someone is letting her shoot a 6,5 x 55 then change barrels and shoot the 375 on Sat.

If the Blaser turns out to be a no and her one concern is if something goes wrong with that rifle, she has no rifle, so might be leaning toward having custom stocks made, and have two rifles put together using pre 64 Win 70 actions.
Blaser is made in Germany, they don't go wrong;)
However, poor maintenance caused a malfunction at a critical time with a chap I had hunting with me once, no fault of the engineering.
I will be very interested in how she gets on with the Blaser, without 'letting the cat out of the bag', the Blaser isn't for everyone, and I wonder how many on this forum actually own one, not many I reckon.

$6000 isn't a bad price for a Blaser with 2 barrel's, what length barrel's?

Ammo, my friend had terrible trouble getting 300WSM ammo in England, in fact so much trouble he sold it.

Cheers

Richard

Scott 85 and Pilsner, no 7 x 57, but they do have 7 x 55 ( but that is a 30 cal. ) and 7 x 64 ( another Brenneke ) Yes on the 30-06--as well as even more and less gr. bullets. The 06 has a pretty large group o fbullets available for sure

Dirtclod the 308 and 30-06 are like the energizer bunny (-;

Devon Deer Germany, good point ! 23inches. She believes she can get what she wants in two rifles for less--maybe--considering 2 custom stocks, 2 pre 64 model 70 actions, 2 --everything--we will see what she thinks after Sat

Std7mag without s doubt in regards to the 7mm-08. I believe my granddaughter will use hers for years and years, as she loves that gun and caliber, which actually amazes me that she likes it better than my 300 H & H--that is almost sacrilegious LOL

Vikingguy, 300wsm, 308, ttsx good info and I thank you

I notice you fellows mention the same ballistics with less powder. You must shoot a LOT more than we did for the difference in the cost of the extra powder to become a financial burden ---but--we were hunters, not shooters, so to speak, so that could also make a difference

Thanks guys appreciate the help

I notice you fellows mention the same ballistics with less powder. You must shoot a LOT more than we did for the difference in the cost of the extra powder to become a financial burden ---but--we were hunters, not shooters, so to speak, so that could also make a difference

Thanks guys appreciate the help

I don’t care about the few pennies of powder, but powder equals recoil, powder equals muzzle flash, powder equals noise. By way of example, a grain of powder effects recoil 175% more than a grain more in bullet weight. Also, 20% more powder also mean I am rebuying powder and having to validate lot changes more frequently. And by all accounts less recoil equals better accuracy. I like to engineer things and like efficiency over raw power. YMMV.

Again, these are all “first world” problems. Green box Core-Lokt out of a lever action 30-30 and Gun Club shotgun shells were what I shot for decades before I had the time and money to make it a hobby.

Europe,
Your friend may well like the Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08.
Would also be an economical factor.

I agree that ammo availability should be a factor. If travel locations are picked and guides chosen ask them what they think.

For all-around use anything will work from a .243 up to the 35 caliber magnums. It’s all personal preference. Personally it’s hard to argue against these choices as they’re all pretty common depending on where you live: 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 7-08, 7mm RM, 6.5 Creedmoor, 8x57 Mauser, or 6.5 Swede. Any will do well enough for general hunting.

For dangerous game, magnum power, or as a bridge to larger game where a smaller caliber choice wouldn’t be the most appropriate, a 9.3x62 Mauser, .375 H&H, or .416 Rigby seem to be the “best available” or a more solid choice.

For all-around use anything will work from a .243 up to the 35 caliber magnums. It’s all personal preference. Personally it’s hard to argue against these choices as they’re all pretty common depending on where you live: 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 7-08, 7mm RM, 6.5 Creedmoor, 8x57 Mauser, or 6.5 Swede. Any will do well enough for general hunting.

For dangerous game, magnum power, or as a bridge to larger game where a smaller caliber choice wouldn’t be the most appropriate, a 9.3x62 Mauser, .375 H&H, or .416 Rigby seem to be the “best available” or a more solid choice.

thank you sir and I respond to you knowing that so many here, have much more knowledge than I

The 416 Rigby, is a marvelous round and was in fact my first Africa DG rifle and although it is a bit more powerful than the 404 Jeffery it also brings with it more recoil. The 450/400 is another that fits in this area very nicely, but brings even less than the 404 Jeff. The 9.3 x 62 is a fantastic round, as is the 93 x 64 Brenneke and where they were "grandfather in" are acceptable as legal where the 375 H & H. is the stated minimum legal required caliber. 404 vs 416 is somewhat like the 308 and 30-06--how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ? Then we get to off the shelve ammo and worldwide the 375 H & H wins hands down when comparing to the 404, 416, 450/400 and even 9.3 x 62 and 64 when not in Europe.

However, some here, actually many here, have more knowledge than I and definitely more, up to date, knowledge, so I will let those folks bring us from yesterday into today.

addicting, thank you so very much. and if she decides against the Blaser and the 30-06, we will be in touch as what you told me off the forum about the history of that action, makes it a front runner for me. plus it is a 300 H & H-----how can anyone argue with a two rifle battery consisting of a 300 and 375 H & H LOL

oleefish2--thank you sent you message with that information

std7mag-----as per our off the forum conversation, you should start making custom rifles for a living----with one exception -----purple LOL

guys, thank you for the replies, hope you all had an enjoyable 4th with your families.

thank you sir and I respond to you knowing that so many here, have much more knowledge than I

The 416 Rigby, is a marvelous round and was in fact my first Africa DG rifle and although it is a bit more powerful than the 404 Jeffery it also brings with it more recoil. The 450/400 is another that fits in this area very nicely, but brings even less than the 404 Jeff. The 9.3 x 62 is a fantastic round, as is the 93 x 64 Brenneke and where they were "grandfather in" are acceptable as legal where the 375 H & H. is the stated minimum legal required caliber. 404 vs 416 is somewhat like the 308 and 30-06--how many angels can dance on the head of a pin ? Then we get to off the shelve ammo and worldwide the 375 H & H wins hands down when comparing to the 404, 416, 450/400 and even 9.3 x 62 and 64 when not in Europe.

However, some here, actually many here, have more knowledge than I and definitely more, up to date, knowledge, so I will let those folks bring us from yesterday into today.

addicting, thank you so very much. and if she decides against the Blaser and the 30-06, we will be in touch as what you told me off the forum about the history of that action, makes it a front runner for me. plus it is a 300 H & H-----how can anyone argue with a two rifle battery consisting of a 300 and 375 H & H LOL

oleefish2--thank you sent you message with that information

std7mag-----as per our off the forum conversation, you should start making custom rifles for a living----with one exception -----purple LOL

guys, thank you for the replies, hope you all had an enjoyable 4th with your families.

Agree with all your points and I’d agree that recoil is a serious consideration to take into account.

I “forgot” about the Brenneke offerings but they’re also a great option... I’ve had my eye on the 7x64 Brenneke as an alternative to the long action 7mm options myself for my own use. The Mauser chambering may be a bit easier to get ahold of in some African or European countries so that’s why I mentioned it or the 375 H&H but the H&H would be my first choice if I had to choose a dangerous game Magnum.

Good luck on the choice though. Look forward to seeing what decision is made.

LOL I think Blaser has a new customer.

Having played with the Heym SR 30, she did not like the straight pull, ( she had already decided against the Kreighoff Simpro as well), so was somewhat 'reluctantly" looking at the Blaser.-----But

It fit her well, she liked the wood, their straight pull, which she found faster and easier and with practice should allow faster follow up shots, loved the trigger, as well as the overall length and weight was appealing to her. And the travel case with both barrels, especially for flying , is always a selling point. they are nice cases. She was happy with the accuracy and the ease in switching barrels. She said, somewhat sarcastically, even a woman can do it LOL She feels they are very proud of their rifles for the price they are asking, but felt the additional barrel prices made the overall price, not quite so bad.

Be back in a moment with more,

I'm back

Have any of you gentlemen ever ask your wife why she bought something at the store, that you hardly ever use and she said because it was on sale ? Then you will understand (-:

Apparently she can get or feels her basic price would not sting as much if she got a good deal on the rifle plus two additional barrels . Although it will cost more overall, the final price that way would not be a much as three custom made guns -----I knew you guys would love this (-;

she ordered the 375 H & h, plus two,--------- which she has changed her mind about twice so far -------( about which two calibers she wants to go with the 375)

Last edited:

Having played with the Heym SR 30, she did not like the straight pull, ( she had already decided against the Kreighoff Simpro as well), so was somewhat 'reluctantly" looking at the Blaser.-----But

It fit her well, she liked the wood, their straight pull, which she found faster and easier and with practice should allow faster follow up shots, loved the trigger, as well as the overall length and weight was appealing to her. And the travel case with both barrels, especially for flying , is always a selling point. they are nice cases. She was happy with the accuracy and the ease in switching barrels. She said, somewhat sarcastically, even a woman can do it LOL She feels they are very proud of their rifles for the price they are asking, but felt the additional barrel prices made the overall price, not quite so bad.

I'm back

Have any of you gentlemen ever ask your wife why she bought something at the store, that you hardly ever use and she said because it was on sale ? Then you will understand (-:

Apparently she can get or feels her basic price would not sting as much if she got a good deal on the rifle plus two additional barrels . Although it will cost more overall, the final price that way would not be a much as three custom made guns -----I knew you guys would live this (-;

Bottom line--the 375 H & H is a done deal, it is the two extra barrels she is wrestling with a bit. She is thinking either a 257 Wea or 6.5 man bun on the low end and either a 300wsm, 308, or 30-06 in the middle . I told her I would get a 6.55 x 55 Swede, and a 30-06 to go with the 375 H & H and an airplane ticket to anywhere that allows hunting. Dont forget, off the shelve ammo--BUT, she is allowed to take some ammo with her as long as the head stamp matches the rifle caliber.

What two barrels would you order to go with the 375 H & H

Assuming it has to be the same bolt face diameter? Here are your choices.
257 Weatherby****#1
264 Win Mag
270 weatherby Mag
7mm Remington Mag*****#2
7mm Weatherby Mag
7 STW
7mm Remington Ultra Mag
300 H & H
300 Winchester Mag
300 Weatherby Mag
300 RUM
303 Brit
8mm Remington Mag
338 Winchester Mag
340 Weatherby Mag
338 RUM
375 H & H*******#3
375 Weatherby
375 RUM
416 Remington Mag
458 Winchester Mag
458 Lott

These choices gives her a gun from antelope to dangerous game.

I'm back

Apparently she can get or feels her basic price would not sting as much if she got a good deal on the rifle plus two additional barrels . Although it will cost more overall, the final price that way would not be a much as three custom made guns -----I knew you guys would love this (-;

she ordered the 375 H & h, plus two,--------- which she has changed her mind about twice so far -------( about which two calibers she wants to go with the 375)
Europe, I was surprised she didn't mention a few other things with the Blaser.
The safety, well actually it's a de-cocking system, it takes a lot of getting used to, quite a lot of pressure to @#)(# the gun, @Sawtooth used my Blaser when he came over, and he noticed it as well, I have used it a lot now so it's second nature, but for some it's a big turn off.
Secondly, the straight pull, I know some people, and one of my friends did it when he used mine, he smacked himself in the kisser!
Lastly the weight, they are heavy, or at least my R8 is
For those he have never seen one in action take a look at these
Cheers
Richard

she did---also she will not be purchasing a Professional Success

addicting, thank you for the follow up off the forum, helpful and appreciated

she did---also she will not be purchasing a Professional Success

addicting, thank you for the follow up off the forum, helpful and appreciated

Not sure if your friend already purchased her rifle but Euro Optic is having a closeout sale on Blaser R8’s in many calibers right now. Just thought I’d pass that along since I received an email from them this morning.

Nelson, thank you, the heads up is appreciated. Two other fellows, one whom I have known for years and is in Germany has also been helpful, as has another fellow in the states and wanted to say "thank you" if they should see this thread, although I dont think they frequent this forum. Also wanted to advise Addicting, that she is leaning more and more toward 6.5 x 55, 30-06, and 375 H & H. This will create the need for an extra mag insert and bolt head, as well as increase barrel change time from 2 minutes to 5 minutes, plus an extra tool. But she does not intend to do this in the field, so no big deal. But she is still considering a couple others. That used 257 wea mag and 375 H & H is still available but I dont think she will go that way. However, she could add a 7 Rem Mag barrel to it and have no mag or bolt head change. Bring enough 257 wea mag ammo when you leave home as that is the one that you would not find everywhere--just a thought

Several others have replied with advise on this thread and I want to thank everyone who has done so--it is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
What would be the negatives to only having the 270 Weatherby and the 375 H & H. ? I know a couple fellows that hunt Elk and Moose with a 270 Win, so the Wea should be o.k. and the 375 could handle the big bears, buffalo, etc--plus DG in Africa.

And she would not need the extra mag insert or bolt head. I have not had any problems with Weatherby loaded ammo in 257 and I would assume the Weatherby loaded ammo in 270 should be ok. as well ? Even Norma has said they would load some up for her.

Negatives--she would have to take what she hopes to shoot with her, as the 270 Weatherby will not be in every store.

However, we are not as smart about all this as a lot of you fellows are, so please let us know your thoughts, thank you

Funny thing. A person that can afford to hunt the world can likely afford all the rifles he/she wanted! Why stick to two? Assuming I could hunt the world, can't even remotely afford it, one would have to be a 375 of some type, probably an H&H. Need to have a min 375 for some African game by law I think. Of course that bring's up the larger than 375 cartridge's just to confuse the issue! The other choice would likely be the work horse and let's face it, there's so many that will work it's all personal choice. Going world wide and finding ammo for what you have could pose a problem. I wonder which store in the Swiss Alps carry's say the 300 WSM? I think probably this second choice it would be good to carry something that might be found everywhere world wide. I haven't a clue what that might be but two idea's might be the 6.5x55 and 7x57. Of course my own personal like's dictate them. If you were hunting darkest Africa for say Dik Dik and ran out of 257 Robert's ammo, where would you get it? Shouldn't say that as I like my 6.5x06 really well but nobody carry's it! Probably the two to carry world wide would make a very long list based on different opinion's, all valid! OK, knowing I'll never hunt dangeruos game, I'd get a 6.5 of some sort, have a 6.5x55, it'll do. second would be a 30-06 with maybe 200gr bullet's, you know, for big stuff that a 180 gr might be marginal on! As many moose as the 6.5x55 has taken world wide I suspect the 30-06 will kill them deader! :)

Forgot. I have a custom rifle and love it but its one I inherited I could not bring myself to spend the money on a custom but would much rather a factory that I'd gone through the bedding and only reload's!

Last edited:
Funny thing. A person that can afford to hunt the world can likely afford all the rifles he/she wanted! Why stick to two?
I think that statement is spot on!
For most of us 'poor' hunters' we have to make do with what we have, although I do own a Blaser in 30-06, it costs a lot to buy another barrel!
I can't see myself ever going back to South Africa to hunt, but if I did my 30-06 would do the job on what I would want to hunt, it's a personal thing isn't it?
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back