Two blade or three

Preacher shaner

I am looking at a new set up bow an all. I have always used rage tips for deer. I would like to try elk with my bow. So 100gr or 125gr 2 blade or 3. The reason i am asking is i am getting all new.
I have read on here what i have for deer will work for elk. I thinking if i build for elk it will work for deer.

3 blade will do more damage and leave a bigger blood trail. I switched to 125g last year and noticed better penetration.

Ive gone back and forth between the 2 and 3, honestly I think its a wash. I think a 2 blade penetrates better, especially through bone. I think the 3 blade creates more trauma through soft tissue. Either way, I prefer 125 over 100gr.

You could read every article ever written about the subject and not really get a solid answer from any of it.

I will say that getting a solid one piece design, preferably non vented, will be quieter in flight and a stronger design.

Cutthroat and VPA are both very popular.

I agree with ham....everyone has their own special sauce.

I shoot 100s, but load up front with 50 of brass...so I’d agree with 125s for FOC but that all math depends on your setup.

I’ve always been a G5 Montec guy, they don’t come sharp, I do that. But this year I have Ironwills upfront. Being a dual bevel with bleeders i think it may be the best of both worlds. Good luck

Shoot the one that shoots the best out of your bow. Both will perform if you can shoot them well. Personally, I like the 3 blades because I can get them to fly best with my bow. 125 Grains usually penetrate better and fly better in windy conditions. Some find the 125s fly the best overall and stick with them while others find the 100s fly best. Your local Archery shop should have some for you to shoot and tryout before buying. The pro shop personnel can advise on better built broadheads as well. Don't use something just because someone says "these are the best". Steer away from anyone who says that broadheads fly the same out of all bows. That just is not accurate. Just ensure you get broadheads that meet your hunting regulation requirements.

Good luck!

I have always used the 3 blade Montecs and I have switched to 125 gr as well. Havent tried the Iron Will blades but if I did, I would use the bleeders, too.

I've shot several animals with both. Either will get the job done just fine with good shot placement provided they're a sharp sturdy head. That being said, I prefer a 3 blade if accuracy is similar since they generally have better blood trails.

If 2 or 3 is good 4 must be better ! I’m a big fan of slick tricks and wac
Ems . But realistically placed on the right arrow and in the right spot they are all freaking deadly

Everyone has a personal preference and reasonings behind it.
Any durable, well made head will do the job if you do yours. That being said I generally won't shoot a smaller diameter 2 blade because I have enough energy to push a 3 or 4 blade head through an animal. (I consider a 2 blade with bleeders a 4 blade)
But someone like my fiancee who shoots 45lbs at 26.5" we put a heavy shaft and a 1" Magnus stinger head because she needs all the help with getting that head through hide and bones.
I have also found 2 blades to be a little more prone to planing at higher speeds (290+ fps) than a 3/4 blade.
A good general rule to follow is the lighter your setup the less blades and less severe blade angle you should use on tougher critters.
But all of this is subjective to your personal setup. Draw weight, length, and speed all factor in to finding the best head for you.

I've used both and both kill just fine. I can promise you that nothing cuts through an animal like a cut-to-tip two blade broadhead like the old Zwickie and Magnus. It is a shame that they stopped making the three blade Bodkin.

That being said, I use three blades now and they kill animals just as dead as anything else.

I like four bladed heads with a primary blade and bleeders, iron will, solids, viper trick ect ect

I've been pretty happy with 125 grain Slick Tricks.

I like four bladed heads with a primary blade and bleeders, iron will, solids, viper trick ect ect

Interestingly I did some testing last week while tuning the 125gn viper tricks to my bow. I’ve been a 2 blade man for ever BUT the Viper tricks were penetrating at least 10 inches further than the 2 blades I use.

I have not been that impressed with Rage in general. I never shot an elk with one, just a deer, but I know people that have. I think you'd want to use a pretty heavy arrow and high draw weight pushing that thing, if you really want to try it. They don't penetrate that great - not like a fixed blade in any event.

Anyway, most guys use the 2 blade version on elk.

For me, I've tried a lot of different mechs on a lot of different game. I'm settled on smallish 4-blade fixed heads as the most reliable you'll find, like standard Muzzys or Slick Tricks. Everybody has their preference, though.

Like what has been mentioned, everyone will have a differing opinion. I've been using NAP Thunderhead 125g's (they're 3 blade) for 20 years and they've served me well. Admittedly the largest animals I've taken are big bodied Kansas whitetails though, so always a complete pass through.

I have not been that impressed with Rage in general. I never shot an elk with one, just a deer, but I know people that have. I think you'd want to use a pretty heavy arrow and high draw weight pushing that thing, if you really want to try it. They don't penetrate that great - not like a fixed blade in any event.

Anyway, most guys use the 2 blade version on elk.

For me, I've tried a lot of different mechs on a lot of different game. I'm settled on smallish 4-blade fixed heads as the most reliable you'll find, like standard Muzzys or Slick Tricks. Everybody has their preference, though.
I am moving to fix blade. Thats why i am asking

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back