Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tucson in the Spring

AH64DMatt

I am brand spanking new to the forum. I'm in the Army and currently live in Alabama. I started hunting deer in 2005, and after several deployments, I've gotten out of practice, but will be fixing that problem in the near future.

I will be living in Alabama for the next 7 months and will be working on bow and rifle hunting for deer this season and boar until I leave. I don't know anything about hunting the West, much less going from hunting the woods to desert hunting.

I'm extremely excited to become an Arizona resident, but really could use tips and resources on hunting in the desert and the West. If anyone is a resident of Tucson or any of it's suburbs, I'd sure like to establish some contacts that can help me get into hunting out there.

Hope all is well. Thank you so much for this website. It's awesome!

Matt

Thanks for your service Matt. Greatly appreciated. Welcome.

Lots of good Arizona info on this site. In fact, I head there on Wednesday to join my uncle on his elk hunt. You will have some great hunting opportunities in AZ. Big game, quail, doves, predators. And, lots of public land.

Thanks for your service. I lived in Tucson for 4 months and really liked it (probably because it was Nov-March :D). There is plenty of opportunity to archery and rifle hunt for deer and javelina down in that part of the state. Hang around and you'll find someone here that knows a bit about the area.

Appreciate your service and welcome to the forums! Look forward to some Alabama deer/boar pics and stories to boot!

Matt, archery deer is over the counter in most area down there. And the best thing is it is during the rut!
The Tucson mountains hold some huge mule deer but they are small in numbers. The areas south headed toward the border all have mule deer as well. If you bow hunt down there carry a side arm because of illegal and drug traffic activity bad.

Hi Matt. I work in Mesa at the plant where that awsome machine is built. When you get close to being out here, drop me a line and we'll plan on getting together.. If you are going to hunt the Tucson area, you need to learn about the Reddington Pass area, the Rincons, and a couple of other places down there. You will also need to learn about the areas in the northern part of the state if you want to hunt BIG mule deer and elk. Arizona is a lot more than desert. Good luck and thanks for what you do.

This site is incredible. I mean, I've been hunting for a short while, and mostly on military posts, and the occasional back 40 on the permission of great people. I've never expected to find a resource like this, let alone so many people who are so forthcoming with information and encouragement. I'm thrilled to be here.

So far, I've really enjoyed reading the stories and pictures of both Big Finn's and Schmaltz's hunts. Truly amazing animals that I've never been in the presence of, and you two both made me feel like I was huddled up behind a scope. Thanks for the unbelievable stores and Congrats on the great hunts!

Danr55, you got yourself a deal. I'll be more active on this site now that I know it's here, and as soon as I head out that way in the spring, I'll be in contact. Thanks for your work, too. I've walked away from many a situation where the superb handiwork from the "Big B" prevented absolute disaster. You guys save my life on a daily basis...

I will be scouring this forum in the months to come, counting the days until I move. Thanks again!

I just bought Season 1 on DVD. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for everything you do, Randy. (I had no idea that you're Big Fin...shows how new here I really am.)

All the best,
Matt

If you ever make it out to Montana let me know. I spent some time in Iraq with the Marines as an infantry squad leader and will take a fellow Vet out hunting/flyfishing anytime.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back