Tucson/Arizona Hunting

AH64DMatt

Well, I posted months ago that I was going to move to the Tucson area. I finally made it.

This is truly beautiful country. Of course, the heat hasn't set in yet, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Now, for the most important of issues:

Hunting. I've never hunted out here, and the land looks like another planet compared to the Southeast and Midwest. What's the best way to get the lay of the land for deer, elk and other huntable animals? I also have no idea on how to get tags here. Since I'm a resident, I hope I didn't miss the cutoff for tags.

Ideally, I'd like to get some venison and elk in the freezer this next season. Right now I don't care about trophies, just having quality meat in the freezer and stories to tell!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
Matt

Matt, you're in Coues deer and Desert Muley heaven...You've miised the Elk/Lopes draw, but deer in a lot f the units are OTC...Don't forget the Javi's also!

By mid May you can apply for deer and the deadline is early June. However you can only be considered a resident if you have been living in the state for 6 months prior to the date of the hunt application. That being said you are in the middle of the best coues whitetail country anywhere. I love units 35A and 35B. Due to all the illegal alien and drug runner activity there are plenty of tags left over from the draw that can be purchased over the counter. The exception being the Dec rut hunts. Prepare yourself for the heat. May and June are friggin hot but at least the humidity is low and the night cool off nicely. July and August are absolute hell on earth. 55% - 65% humidity may not sound bad to someone from the south, but when its 112 during the day and 90 at night you'll be questioning why you moved here. One last thing, if you want to make a lot friends in Tuscum, buy yourself an ASU shirt and wear it proud. GO SUN DEVILS!!!!!!!

I really appreciate the ASU advice, but I like my health...Thanks! :)

As for the heat, after two tours in Iraq, I'm no stranger to the brutal, dry heat. The advantage of this place is that at the end of the day, I can relax with an ice cold beer, eat anything I want, and enjoy REAL air conditioning!

I will be starting to scout for mulies and coues starting next month. I'd really like to find out about getting an OTC elk tag (I'm already eligible for my AZ license since I'm military and have been here over a month). I'll travel anywhere in the state, or elsewhere for that matter, to get some fresh elk meat into the freezer. I've never eaten coues or mule deer, but I'm assuming it's close to whitetail, so that's going to be a staple in my diet once again!

Thanks again for the advice, and if it's no problem, I'll stick to wearing non-ASU gear here...Nothing against the Sun Devils, but I just can't chance the violence...:)

Matt

I'd recommend buying a lifetime license as soon as you are eligible. You'll always be considered a resident for limited draw purposes, regardless of where you live.

to get an otc elk tag you have to mail in a hunt application. They are available on a first come first serve basis beginning monday. believe it or not there are a couple of bull tags available. most of these tags are limited oppurtunity hunts. AZGFD will not accept any apps that arrive before monday. Put in mail today and you'll be fine. The good thing about these hunts is that if you get a tag it does not cost you any bonus points. I realize that you may not have any bonus points but something to keep in mind for the future. also take the hunter safety course from game and fish and you'll receive a permanent bonus point. good luck to you and thanks for your service!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back