Caribou Gear Tarp

TSS

338win

Thinking about buying a crate of the 12 ga 1 oz 9s tss. Something to use as a duck/goose and turkey load and not buy multiple loads(I know expensive but I don’t shoot enough a year to matter). How are the patterns on the 1oz loads through .665- .675, mod, and IC chokes?

I've handloaded it for ducks, geese and turkeys. Great stuff!!! But pricey! I used it in a mod and had great results. Great cripple loads for divers on the water.

Biting down on TSS can be disastrous. Will nines make it all the way through the body of the biggest bird you shoot? I know they don't on turkey.

Took a Hail Mary on a Canada goose that my buddy wounded and it entered in the backside and was lodged between the skin and breast near the wishbone, I was impressed.

Biting down on TSS can be disastrous. Will nines make it all the way through the body of the biggest bird you shoot? I know they don't on turkey.
Because that same problem doesn't exist with steel shot?

I've handloaded it for ducks, geese and turkeys. Great stuff!!! But pricey! I used it in a mod and had great results. Great cripple loads for divers on the water.
Any pattern experience with 1 oz loads and a turkey choke?

I would love to switch to TSS but I got to improve my shooting first. Been thinking about switching to Boss shells next year.

Will nines make it all the way through the body of the biggest bird you shoot? I know they don't on turkey.
9’s are good on turkeys to at least 60 yards. They will fully penetrate the head and neck to 60. You’re not trying to body shoot a turkey anyway.

Any pattern experience with 1 oz loads and a turkey choke?
Sorry I don't. I patterned some #8s a few years ago and had good patterns out of a modified choke on my Mod 12 pump. No pics to show though.

I would love to switch to TSS but I got to improve my shooting first. Been thinking about switching to Boss shells next year.
I and my duck hunting guys use Boss shells, they are great shells. Handloading any non toxic can be a PITA. When I use up my TSS and HW15 handloads I'm going strictly with Boss

X2 on biting down on a #9 TSS pellet. I've got a tooth that will never be the same after that experience, lol.

In regard to choke, anything tighter than .675 will blow out a pattern from my limited experience. Best patterns I've got out of the chokes I have on hand is a factory full .695 shooting #9s.

9’s are good on turkeys to at least 60 yards. They will fully penetrate the head and neck to 60. You’re not trying to body shoot a turkey anyway.
The topic includes geese. You're not trying, but you'll get stray pellets.
Because that same problem doesn't exist with steel shot?

Steel is bigger and softer than TSS.

I'm way too much of a cheapskate for TSS and I'm also feeling good about shooting non-toxic these days. I just bought a bunch of Boss Bismuth waterfowl loads and I'm going to pattern them for turkeys this Spring.

If you run your duck/goose breast in the microwave for a short stretch, any metal will ARC. And give you a location of where to remove it from. Your teeth will thank me.

As for using tss for me personally price is the only deterrent. This past year I used Boss and I am pleased with the results. If anyone has seen my waterfowl posts from this season all of those birds were shot with Boss #5's.

TSS is legit. I believe it's approximately 54% more dense than lead. Seems like I read that a #9 tss is equivalent to a #5 lead in regards to density. Which allows you to load way more numbers in a wad without compromising energy. I have been hand loading tss for the last couple years for turkey and just finished up my first year of waterfowl hunting with TSS handloads. It is I bit pricey but I enjoy hand loading and have no plans of going back.
I shoot 20 guage and .410. I killed 10 big Canada geese this year with a 20 guage, 7/8 oz. #9 tss with IC and Modified chokes. On a solid hit geese will fold dead like a towel. I just got into waterfowl loads so I don't have any pattern pics or numbers data yet.
I will post some pattern pics of some turkey loads from 20 ga and .410. Last spring my then 9 year old son killed a tom I ranged @39 yards stone dead in Nebraska with a .410 using tss #10 handloads. I killed a tom in Texas ranged @51 yards with a 20 guage 1 5/8 oz #9 tss.

The pics will be pellets counted in a 10" circle at different distances.

.410 114 #10 tss in a 10" circle @50 yards with turkey full choke.
.410 193 #10 tss in a 10" circle @40 yards turkey full choke

20 guage 326 #9 tss in a 10" circle @40 yards .575 choke
20 guage 85 #9 tss in a 10" circle @60 yards .575 choke.
Don't have any 50 yard info for 20 guage.

Screenshot_20230205-201004.pngScreenshot_20230205-201023.pngScreenshot_20230205-201032.pngScreenshot_20230205-201039.png

For the sake of trying something different i am hunting this year with a 20 gauge Stevens 301 running tss #9.
I like the metal detector idea, though I'm pretty thorough with inspecting meat for shot channels.
Still need to get a specialty choke for the tss, probably going Indian Creek but still undecided on constriction.

I've been impressed with tss for turkeys, so far, but that's just a couple of shells a year hopefully. No way am I shooting tss at waterfowl.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back