Trying to pin down 2019 plans -- First time in WY

TheWanderer

I am asking with the hope that anyone might have an opinion on some Wyoming elk units.

My friends should be thankful that I'm being generous and sharing a pile of elk points with them. Across our group we have enough points that we should be able to draw either unit 27, 39, or 40.

Does anyone have an opinion about these areas? I've never been to WY and am having trouble deciding on a location. Hard to believe WY elk applications will be due so soon. Thank you in advance for anyone with an opinion.

If it was me unit 39.Then again,if it was me, my friends would be out of luck and I'd spend my points more wisely

Hard to get an elk out by myself if I kept my 7 to myself. Would rather share camp with my friends. I feel like we're in a weird place at 4+. Point creep looks like it is definitely having an effect in some units there and rather than trying to keep catching up to a more premium unit we want to have a fun hunt and hopefully score. Have a chance at a 5 or 6 point and we'll be happy. From then on we'll be just looking for general tags. .

Hard to believe WY elk applications will be due so soon.

Wanderer: you have more time due to changes in Wyoming NR elk application period and drawing of licenses.

It appears that the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission at their September 18, 2018 meeting changed the Wyoming nonresident elk application period. The nonresident elk application period will now end after the annual season setting meetings, which occur in late March and early April. The NR elk application period will most likely be the same as NR deer and antelope which would mean starting in early January and ending May 31. The NR elk drawing, if it aligns with NR deer and antelope, would be in mid-June.

ClearCreek

The new regulation hasn't been presented to the Commission for a vote and won't be until 2019. April meeting at the soonest from what I was told. 2019 NR Elk draw is unchanged from 2018; apps due in January and results the end of Feb.

What pointed you to units 39 and 40? My wife and I got married in 39 and I have spent extensive amounts of time in both.

What kind of equipment do you have, atvs, tracks, etc and how big of hell holes are you willing to hunt in as that will determine which unit is better for you.

The new regulation hasn't been presented to the Commission for a vote and won't be until 2019. April meeting at the soonest from what I was told. 2019 NR Elk draw is unchanged from 2018; apps due in January and results the end of Feb.

WB:

The reason I posted what I did was the language in the September 18, 2018 minutes of the Wyoming G&F Commission meeting here:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/downloads/pdf/commMins/cm_9-18-18.pdf

At the bottom of page 8 and top of page 9 in that document it indicates the Commission moved to change the application dates for NR elk and the motion carried. So this vote on the motion is only the beginning of a process?

ClearCreek

WB:

The reason I posted what I did was the language in the September 18, 2018 minutes of the Wyoming G&F Commission meeting here:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/downloads/pdf/commMins/cm_9-18-18.pdf

At the bottom of page 8 and top of page 9 in that document it indicates the Commission moved to change the application dates for NR elk and the motion carried. So this vote on the motion is only the beginning of a process?

ClearCreek

I was told by the Licensing Section the change was approved but the details required a Chapter 44 Regulation change that would need to be written, submitted, and approved by the Commission.

Last edited:
I sure hope that change does NOT come to fruition. The one really nice thing about WY NR elk draws is that one can put in and find out if one wins or loses before applying for a bunch of other tags.

Surprised one of your friends doesn't come along with your 7 points and just join you on your hunt. In return you could do that for them somewhere and sometime in the future.

Surprised one of your friends doesn't come along with your 7 points and just join you on your hunt. In return you could do that for them somewhere and sometime in the future.

Ditto this. 7 point unit vs a 4 point unit???

That's an interesting situation. Lots of different strategies but to be honest I'd think about what you are trying to accomplish. If everyone draws the same year it's going to put you all at zero points the following year. Then you are looking at 1-3 years to draw a general tag depending on if you use the special draw.

There may be an advantage of staggering when you draw first choice tags to a 2+ year rotation to make sure you get at least one General tag each year in the group.

And then I look and see that it takes 3 points in the regular draw to get a general tag so your 4 point average is really only 1 year beyond. I'm a big fan of hunting the same area year after year as it takes me 4-5 to really get to a feel for one spot so you may be better off to just all get general tags in 19 and hunt an area you plan to hunt in the future. Mix in cow tags for 2020 while everyone builds a point. Then see if a couple guys want to get in the special draw for 2021 and let everyone else get cow tags, then those who have 2 points in 2022 can draw, etc...

What pointed you to units 39 and 40? My wife and I got married in 39 and I have spent extensive amounts of time in both.

What kind of equipment do you have, atvs, tracks, etc and how big of hell holes are you willing to hunt in as that will determine which unit is better for you.

I am looking at a number of different units to see what fits best for our group. As of now that includes 25/27, 48, 39, 40, 41. Myself and my buddy will go anywhere/do anything. We did 120+ miles in a rugged ID unit this past September. But we'll have his dad (60s) and my work buddy (50s) with us so we will want to tone it down a little. We have access to a couple quads. I also have llamas reserved for next fall.

Are you planning on archery or rifle hunting? Some units might lend themselves more to one than the other

Will be rifle hunting. Would like to have a shot at bugling bulls but we're flexible. Thats why I'm looking at some of the southern Wind River units.

That's an interesting situation. Lots of different strategies but to be honest I'd think about what you are trying to accomplish. If everyone draws the same year it's going to put you all at zero points the following year. Then you are looking at 1-3 years to draw a general tag depending on if you use the special draw.

There may be an advantage of staggering when you draw first choice tags to a 2+ year rotation to make sure you get at least one General tag each year in the group.

And then I look and see that it takes 3 points in the regular draw to get a general tag so your 4 point average is really only 1 year beyond. I'm a big fan of hunting the same area year after year as it takes me 4-5 to really get to a feel for one spot so you may be better off to just all get general tags in 19 and hunt an area you plan to hunt in the future. Mix in cow tags for 2020 while everyone builds a point. Then see if a couple guys want to get in the special draw for 2021 and let everyone else get cow tags, then those who have 2 points in 2022 can draw, etc...

We may be at zero points the following year, but we will be in Alaska 2020, CO or ID 2021. I'm thinking we might get back to WY on a gen tag in 2022.

Also staggering the tags and each drawing on different years could be a tough sell to the rest of the group. We about all get one week a year to go west. Only getting to hunt once every 2 or 3 years would be tough.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back