Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Trudeau Puts Freeze On Handguns

I once had a brown Lab tear a chunk out of a drunk neighbor who walked in our house inadvertently in the middle of the night. And my current Lab loves everyone ... except anyone who comes onto her property uninvited. And yes, she DOES know the difference. And God help anyone who ever tried to hurt me or my grandson. That dog would lay down her life, no doubt about it.

I live in the real world. Sure, some punk may try to break in and steal the family silver while I'm sleeping. And a meteorite may fall on me in church. So we should hold services in a bomb shelter? I'm sure the folks who sell bomb shelters think it's a good idea. But I'm not listening.

It is trite red herrings such as those that has forever stifled any meaningful discussion of potential solutions which are practical and protective of rights, as well of human life.
Not a read herring unless you take it out of context. His point was every weapon is made to assault. You can look it up. It is a slippery slope on what gets labeled that and more so who gets to do the labeling.

and more so who gets to do the labeling.
I believe this is the lost key to the entire potential for "quality" discussion.
A red herring to some who view it as such and to others, a comparison to show the depth of such statements.
Until the table holds people w/o prejudice beyond our forefather's intent for placing the 2A into the U.S. Bill of Rights - discussion is a moot attempt for quality evaluation.

Not a read herring unless you take it out of context. His point was every weapon is made to assault. You can look it up. It is a slippery slope on what gets labeled that and more so who gets to do the labeling.
My point is that there really is NO context in that the "trite red herrings" merely continue to be bantered about with no agreement for positive change, let alone any meaningful solutions. With respect KB_, he is certainly not alone and likely believes those strongly, to the point of not allowing any other perspective. But that is why there has been no good solutions. This thread is a reflection of the broader issue in that it circuitously continues to express many of the trite red herrings of both sides of the debate and redundantly circles back time and again to the same 'ol, same 'ol.

I contend that the red herrings and the staunch postures on either side are not helpful and have continued to stifle any meaningful positive change. Argue that if you wish ... then you are merely substantiating my point.

My point is that there really is NO context in that the "trite red herrings" merely continue to be bantered about with no agreement for positive change, let alone any meaningful solutions. With respect KB_, he is certainly not alone and likely believes those strongly, to the point of not allowing any other perspective. But that is why there has been no good solutions. This thread is a reflection of the broader issue in that it circuitously continues to express many of the trite red herrings of both sides of the debate and redundantly circles back time and again to the same 'ol, same 'ol.

I contend that the red herrings and the staunch postures on either side are not helpful and have continued to stifle any meaningful positive change. Argue that if you wish ... then you are merely substantiating my point.

I'm in agreement with you. Some of us are totally against any further change to 2A. Because it most certainly won't be positive towards 2A. Would folks be in favor of weakening 1A if possibly (but not probably) saves some lives?

I have always been open to other perspectives. I have never been married to any one idea. You can probably see in this thread and others that I have changed some opinions based on some better ideas. A better idea is a better idea, but I find myself personally really stuck in the middle here.

One side I want something to be done. I have three kiddos myself, one of which has autism. I want them safe by all means that I can provide.

The other side I feel like if something was to be done it will get taken advantage of. Then we are all worse off then we were in the first place.

This is probably why I have always been an Independent.

I will refrain from commenting further as I know in myself that I'm in a weird position personally on the topic.

Mag capacity, gun color, caliber and scary gun names really do get the far left excited and talking about gun control. You can see by those chiseling away here. You do know in this country you can buy and own flame throwers!! Just think what would have happened if some of these wackos used flame throwers instead of guns on their suicide assaults of schools and concerts.

I have always been open to other perspectives. I have never been married to any one idea. You can probably see in this thread and others that I have changed some opinions based on some better ideas. A better idea is a better idea, but I find myself personally really stuck in the middle here.

One side I want something to be done. I have three kiddos myself, one of which has autism. I want them safe by all means that I can provide.

The other side I feel like if something was to be done it will get taken advantage of. Then we are all worse off then we were in the first place.

This is probably why I have always been an Independent.

I will refrain from commenting further as I know in myself that I'm in a weird position personally on the topic.
An open mind is a fertile one always open to any fertilizer that can help it grow. Good example for your kids.

Reactions: KB_
Next thing you know its illegal to drink soda from a pop machine (over exaggerated I know).
It really isn’t an exaggeration…

It was later overturned in court, but it didn’t stop them from trying.

I have some bad news.

To be truthful, I have never needed the police to get me out of trouble. Also, I have never carried a gun for self protection. It rarely crosses my mind. That has worked to age 71.

The only circumstance I have given getting a pistol any consideration is when hunting from my camper in remote areas. Then I've relied on the herd protection of any bad guy thinking about messing with me likely thinks there are firearms on board. Which there are, but they are long guns, in a case, if not in use.

I know there are many who carry routinely. It seems kinda sad to me that they feel unsafe if they aren't armed.

kind of makes me sad that the USA has a president that doesn't understand the history of the Constitution and the laws that were in place when it was established

his recent comment (three days ago) that when the Constitution was established you "couldn't own cannons" was very wrong - extremely wrong - back then you could own any weapon you could afford. Many a frontier "store" or encampment was protected by small (and large) cannons.

I mean dang, if you're gonna argue something, at least have your facts right

To be truthful, I have never needed the police to get me out of trouble. Also, I have never carried a gun for self protection. It rarely crosses my mind. That has worked to age 71.

The only circumstance I have given getting a pistol any consideration is when hunting from my camper in remote areas. Then I've relied on the herd protection of any bad guy thinking about messing with me likely thinks there are firearms on board. Which there are, but they are long guns, in a case, if not in use.

I know there are many who carry routinely. It seems kinda sad to me that they feel unsafe if they aren't armed.
Different strokes for different folks. I can’t imagine being in a situation where I needed a firearm and did t have it. I’m not scared of anything. I’m just not a good fighter and worse at knife fighting so I take along what I’m generally proficient at using.

Society is in a tailspin and random acts of violence are way up, not just firearm violence so if I can protect my family, myself, and innocent bystanders then I’ll carry. So I do.

Spiders scare me though. Scared the hell outta people when I shot that wolf spider in church a few weeks ago.

I'd be curious how many find an IFAK kit as "overkill" for some to carry when hunting? Really, how many people carry a professional tourniquet in your hunt first aid kit?

I carry an IFAK (modified) on my outdoor adventures. I don't believe it's overkill... It's a weight I'm willing to carry to save myself or another, as I do my firearm. I don't find it sad one opts to not carry a firearm. I find it to be their choice. A choice I respect.

I'd be curious how many find an IFAK kit as "overkill" for some to carry when hunting? Really, how many people carry a professional tourniquet in your hunt first aid kit?

I carry an IFAK (modified) on my outdoor adventures. I don't believe it's overkill... It's a weight I'm willing to carry to save myself or another, as I do my firearm. I don't find it sad one opts to not carry a firearm. I find it to be their choice. A choice I respect.

I do carry an IFAK kit when big game hunting. It is not a gunshot wound that motivates that, but a serious cut with a knife, when dressing a big game animal is the reason I keep one in the day pack.

With the argument of “if you’re old enough to serve in the military…” It’s important that we don’t over look the reasons we allow people to serve in the military so young.

At 17-18, these men and women are still highly impressionable and mentally immature, but their bodies are still strong and getting stronger. The perfect combination for fighting a war. The human mind isn’t fully developed until 26-27 years of age. That’s part of why young adults often act irrationally, or as if they’re invincible. They literally can’t think on a more rational level yet. There’s plenty of research out there on how how the brain develops and how ways of thinking develop with it. It’s pretty fascinating stuff.

Once that brain is developed, they’re harder to manipulate. Also, by time you’re nearly 30 your body is more likely to have sustained injuries. Neither of which are helpful for forming into soldiers that you need to charge into enemy fire with 100lbs on your shoulders.

Bottom line being, just because you’re old enough to serve in the military does not mean you’re old enough for anything and everything.

Me neither, probably the same for 99% of us. Never needed the smoke alarms in my house either or the fire department but if you did....I'd bet you be glad you had any one of them. Although I'm only half way to 71 so the verdict is still out.

Edit- never used the fire extinguisher in the kitchen or garage either, fire department might not always be there in time.

Last edited:
I do carry an IFAK kit when big game hunting. It is not a gunshot wound that motivates that, but a serious cut with a knife, when dressing a big game animal is the reason I keep one in the day pack.
Agree. I carry it for any use it supports to assist with saving the life of one's self or that of another. Same as a firearm - my point. Though I respect your decision not to carry - some times the setting it not reciprocal. A fact of life.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back