Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Troubling surge of poaching cases in Colorado has wildlife officers trying to keep up

Unfortunately most of these violations will be given slaps on the wrist and money because that's what states want. Even the caption of the photo on the top of the page is ridiculous.

"In Colorado, killing a pronghorn with at least 14-inch antlers without a license and tag carries a $4,000 penalty."

Like who the F#CK cares if the poached animal is a certain size lol. Should all be treated harshly and swiftly.

Hunters committing violations due to ignorance and straight up poachers knowing what they are doing are different things.

Poachers 100% should lose there license privileges for life in all states, considering they couldn't care about the rules and calendar anyways. Plus jail time and epic fines including the cost it took Fish and Game to investigate and prosecute the person.

I am not sure what requirements they have in Colorado but back home in WA, you have to have a Bachelors Degree to qualify, with a few exceptions like certain military service time etc. Most police departments do not even require BA's. Nowadays with the attack on anything Law Enforcement, plus the price of schooling, I cant really see a lot of people lining up for these jobs. I dont think we should lower standards in people as in ethics, criminal past etc. However I really dont think I need my Game Warden to have a $60,000 Bachelors Degree in plants or something helping him or her name all the weeds along side of the road.....More eyes equals usually more deterrence.

This is the thing I think about:

From the article:
“By some estimates, poaching harvests as much wildlife as legitimate hunting.”

Between wound-loss from carelessness (not talking about doing everything you can to make a clean kill and things going sideways) and the POS people who poach, how many animals bite it every year? State-by-state, I’m guessing the numbers are staggering.

From the article:

Between wound-loss from carelessness (not talking about doing everything you can to make a clean kill and things going sideways) and the POS people who poach, how many animals bite it every year? State-by-state, I’m guessing the numbers are staggering.

No doubt. I had a discussion with a guy from Illinois who went to Colorado gut shot 3 bulls in one season (never found any of them) then finally killed one. When I quizzed the guy about it, he said that "he pays so much for a license that he was NOT going to stop hunting until he filled his tag".

That pretty much ended my conversation with him.

No telling how many animals hit the ground unrecovered every single season.

When it comes to poaching, those fines should be 5-10X what they are right now. They don't even cover the costs of the officer's time spent on the case at this point. TURN UP THE HEAT ON POACHERS.

Last edited:

From the article:

Highways, and LongRange hunters wound-loss damage is probably staggering.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back