Caribou Gear Tarp

Trouble sighting in scope on a savage 17 hmr

pointingdogsrule

So I feel pretty stupid at this point. I have a Savage 17 hmr and previously had a BSA sweet 17 scope. Well my .223 Savage has a Burris 6.5x20x50 and I really like this scope. You can see the Pdogs very well when you shoot them :) I bought another Burris 6.5x20x50 and mounted it on my 17. I bought the Burris high mounts to clear the barrel. I took the bolt out and bore sighted the gun. I have the side - side adjustment corrected, however, I have no more adjustment to the vertical. I can not move the crosshairs up any further. The gun has the original Savage bases. Any suggestions on what might be the problem???

I have always been taught to "chase the bullet".... I just can not chase it anymore!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Good luck to all
the dog

Which Savage model? I bought the A17 Thumbhole target model and had the same issue. Finally had to shim the rear base and all is good now. It's the first time I've ever had that issue on a Savage or any other rifle.

Thin shims will work for most scopes when you are out of vertical yet still not zeroed. Is best to go with lowest mounts that work for a gun, of course, for reduced variation in bullet drops at distances before and beyond your zero distance.

Not sure how to fix the issue sighting in the HMR. If your Burris clicks when you make and adjustment, run the vertical adjustment all the way up. Count the clicks all the way down, come back up half way and you should be at the factory setting for the vertical. It's a pain but it is what I had to do after taking my scope to the Burris shop here in Greeley, CO. Good luck!

Which Savage model? I bought the A17 Thumbhole target model and had the same issue. Finally had to shim the rear base and all is good now. It's the first time I've ever had that issue on a Savage or any other rifle.

Yep, A17 Thumbhole with varmint barrel. I think at this point I'm a little over my head. I'll look at the "signature rings" and possibly "shims".

Thanks. Don't feel quite as stupid now.

good luck to all
the dog

As others have stated - is there a bunch of room between the barrel and the scope objective? Mount your scope with the lowest rings that will work. I set up a Savage 22LR rifle with a Weaver 4-16x 44mm and there's 1/16" between them.

If lower rings aren't an option, then loosen both rings and slide a shim under the scope on the rear ring. You can use aluminum foil for this. Also, try shooting the gun, because, nowhere is it a fact that if you bore sight a rifle that the scope is dead on. Same for lasers. The ONLY way is to shoot the gun. Since I don't know how far off it actually is, maybe there is still hope.

As others have stated - is there a bunch of room between the barrel and the scope objective? Mount your scope with the lowest rings that will work. I set up a Savage 22LR rifle with a Weaver 4-16x 44mm and there's 1/16" between them.

If lower rings aren't an option, then loosen both rings and slide a shim under the scope on the rear ring. You can use aluminum foil for this. Also, try shooting the gun, because, nowhere is it a fact that if you bore sight a rifle that the scope is dead on. Same for lasers. The ONLY way is to shoot the gun. Since I don't know how far off it actually is, maybe there is still hope.

Thanks for the suggestions. I shot the gun 20 times last night @ 25 yards. Very nice groups from a bipod. I originally tried Leupold nigh rings and the scope (50MM) just missed clearing the barrel. I had to go with the next highest and that was the Burris high tactical which gives me 1/4" clearance from the barrel. With the Leupold high.... the base to bottom of the tube was just under 1/2". Just short of what I needed. The Burris high tactical gives me close to 3/4" from base to bottom of the tube. More then I need, however, I'm not finding much in between these mounts.

NOTE: when shooting at 25 yards and aiming dead center, the point of impact is about 6" low :(

I will consider shims. Once more thanks for all the great advice.

good luck to all
the dog

Hey Doc, any chance the bases were reversed (anterior placed in posterior location?)......ask me how I know :p. And any chance that Savage bases are designed to only fit Savage rings and throws other rings off level? Grasping at straws.

Hey Doc, any chance the bases were reversed (anterior placed in posterior location?)......ask me how I know :p. And any chance that Savage bases are designed to only fit Savage rings and throws other rings off level? Grasping at straws.

I thought about the bases and they look to be exactly the same height. I will check them more accurately tonight. THANKS.

Just a quick update on the scope.

two items: on another board I found a formula that goes like this. How low are you... 2 inches, how far are you from the target... 25 yards (equals 900 inches).
Divide 2/900 = .002222.
How far a part are the scope "bases"... 6 inches.
6 inches x .002222 inches = .01333 inches.

This (.01333 inches) is how much of a shim I needed for the back of the scope.

I went to a local machinist that I know and he had lots of metal shims (.006 thru .018). I added a .016 metal shim and HOLY COW.... it worked just fine and brought the scope back to center for sighting.

good luck to all
the dog

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back