Trophy Room Annex Project

OntarioHunter

I live in a small old (< 800 sq ft 1929) house. Often it seems too small. My late wife and I raised two kids in this place and several great hunting dogs who have joined her and my son still sleep on the property. I'm not leaving. The problem is where to put my trophies. We have a very dinky trophy room for the taxidermy business but it's already pretty much filled up. Now I have eight more trophies on their way home from Africa, including one monster cape buffalo euro and capes for kudu and sable wall pedestal mounts. Three moose racks are also gathering dust in the garage attic.

As a partial solution I decided to open the ceiling on the front porch. It's not a very big porch but high pitch to gabled roof. A lot of space up there I can utilize without making any significant changes to structure. I still have wiring to tackle tonight and tomorrow. I'll put a box in the centre of the gable with a bar for LED spots and a motion sensor. It will be on the living room switch for outside porch light. The porch walls and ceiling will be insulated and blinds added to the windows. As long as there's only skulls out there the sun won't do any damage to them. I'll add a wall outlet on the line to outlet in the root cellar below porch. Should be plenty of room for the big buffalo ... or maybe both of them on facing walls.

Eventually I will open half the ceiling in the living room and trophy room but that will require some approval from engineer. I'm thinking scissor beam support. I could also eliminate the wall between living room and trophy room as it's nonsupoorting.20210929_163556.jpg20210929_163535.jpg20210929_163514.jpg20210929_163643.jpg20210929_163627.jpg

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you’ve been on all the cool adventures you’ve claimed to be on and stayed in that 800 square ft house I think that’s pretty rad 👍
Any room on the lot for a garage?

You bang on that piano any?
Occasionally. When I remodeled the living room, the last thing I did was hang my wife's photo on the wall at the end of the piano. Like a dummy I stood on the piano stool and it spun out. I fell on it, breaking one leg off. My wife would cut my hair while I sat on that stool and I'd take the opportunity to grope her. Many laughs and smiles courtesy of that stool. Still looking for a replacement leg.

If you’ve been on all the cool adventures you’ve claimed to be on and stayed in that 800 square ft house I think that’s pretty rad 👍
Any room on the lot for a garage?
Thanks. Yes. The former owner built a new 1.5 stall garage back in 1991. Sits on the back corner of the lot.

That's the main floor sq ft. Full finished basement.

Occasionally. When I remodeled the living room, the last thing I did was hang my wife's photo on the wall at the end of the piano. Like a dummy I stood on the piano stool and it spun out. I fell on it, breaking one leg off. My wife would cut my hair while I sat on that stool and I'd take the opportunity to grope her. Many laughs and smiles courtesy of that stool. Still looking for a replacement leg.
Yea that was more of a story than I was looking for.

By this point yes I should. I just don’t know how seeing a piano and asking do you play it turns into a story about groping your wife while getting a haircut. 🤦‍♂️
Idk if I just run on the same frequency as OTH, but by the way he described that stool I know it means something to him and you mentioning it brought back fond memories.

By this point yes I should. I just don’t know how seeing a piano and asking do you play it turns into a story about groping your wife while getting a haircut. 🤦‍♂️
Sorry. It's why I haven't played the piano in years. Should have made that clearer. Hey, I'm an old guy. What planet is this?

Full of tools and junk. Mostly junk. When COVID clears out I'll be having a MASSIVE yard sale with lots of goodies to go.
Well hell, that sounds like the answer to me.
Clean that place up, finish the inside with some old barn siding, get a pool table, build a bar and turn it into the smokers section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back