MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trophy Poached

Nemont

poached_zpsdizz8sty.jpg

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/outdoors/2015/12/08/outdoor-briefs-dec-10/77015444/

I really just don't get it. That's something a person would have to invent and maintain a lie for...forever.

Fine seems light.

Last edited:
Additional info from the press release.

With help from the Montana Highway Patrol and the Valley County Sherriff’s office, authorities were able to locate the vehicle and conduct an investigation into the unlawful killing of the buck.
“There have been multiple calls of concern regarding this deer, as many people have observed it around Ft. Peck over the years,” Tryan said. “This buck qualified as a trophy deer.”

I have routinely watched this buck less than 400 yards from my house. Saw one of his offspring with the exact same eye guard just last week. This buck hangs out in a bow hunting only area quite often so he was able to be hunted but this kid decided that must have been too difficult. Makes me sick.

Last edited:
No hunting for 24 months. Hmm.. they should turn that into 24 years.

i had thought montana had a trophy clause on wildlife, if they met the status fines were considerable higher,

maybe another state?, anyway tuff deal, local judge must not think wildlife violations are a crime for the sentence he handed out, someone in the community mentioned might not be first offense

i had thought montana had a trophy clause on wildlife, if they met the status fines were considerable higher,

White-tailed Deer: Must meet all three criteria:

1) At least four points on one antler (excluding brow tine),
2) A main beam length on each side of at least 20 inches, and
3) A greatest inside spread across the main beams of at least 16 inches.

OR

Any white-tailed deer with at least one four- point antler and having a gross/green Boone & Crockett score of 140 points or greater.

• A “point” as defined in these regulations is at least four inches long for elk and at least one inch long for deer, measured from base to tip.
Boone & Crockett (B&C) measuring procedures or standards are used for criteria measurement.
The official measurements for the purpose of this regulation are those that are taken at the time of confiscation or seizure of the trophy.
Any B&C measurements will be considered final when taken by an official B&C scorer, regardless of drying time.
If the skullcap of antlers or horns is broken in such a manner to render an official B&C score invalid, three official B&C scorers will estimate a score.
The three scores will be averaged and the average score used to determine trophy status in accordance with Montana law.

I dont understand how folks think they will get away with shooting a deer that all of the locals are familiar with. We had a local guy shoot a big nontypical deer out of a pen at the local state park, then try to act like it wasn't a pen deer. Everyone knew the deer from the park.

He lost his hunting and trapping privileges for 24 months? Who said that he was even interested in hunting and trapping? He got off light!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back